Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Headed to T9 up 8-7 so Duke is 3 outs away from taking the series.
    Bob Green

That’s a Blue Devil winner! Final score: 8-7.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That’s a Blue Devil winner! Final score: 8-7.
    Opening series win is nice. Maybe we'll find out later this season that VMI is very good? Today's was close for comfort. Pitching wasn't quite as lock-down as the preseason hype led us to hope it would be.

Two out three ain't bad, in the words of the poet.

But this is not the look of a team that is going to be playing deep into June.

It's early, very early. But still . . .

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I have faith. I seem to remember us starting very ugly before, including last year, and having a season to smile about.
    Of course, seeing as how I never seem to remember anything that my girlfriend tells me, (or so she says) I wouldn't put much confidence in what I thought happened.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Oh, Jim. As you know baseball is a loooong season. Series wins are good. Marcus Johnson will be better with work and the great coaching they have and I'm betting have lots of good starts. Lots of good to take from the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Oh, Jim. As you know baseball is a loooong season. Series wins are good. Marcus Johnson will be better with work and the great coaching they have and I'm betting have lots of good starts. Lots of good to take from the weekend!
    Sure. And holding on to the win in the rubber game was big.

The narrative going into the season was that it would take Duke some time to get the position players lined up but that the pitching was going to be lights out from the get-go.

Clearly not the case.

And Duke wasn't the only ACC team to lose to a mid-major. Notre Dame lost to Delaware, Pitt lost to Canisius. But most of the ACC took care of business and by take care of business, I mean 3-0.

The competition gets better real, real soon and Duke had best do the same.

Surely, this is obvious, but February weather makes baseball a bit trying as a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Surely, this is obvious, but February weather makes baseball a bit trying as a sport.
    Copy that. For most of the country college baseball is a winter sport for at least a month.

Was it Liberty that we lost a series to early on last season?

Losing the opener to VMI was a bummer, but winning the series is much better than losing a series...Ha Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Was it Liberty that we lost a series to early on last season?

Losing the opener to VMI was a bummer, but winning the series is much better than losing a series...Ha Ha!
    Duke won both regular-season games against Liberty. And lost both games to Liberty in the NCAA Tournament.

Duke opened last season by winning two of three against Coastal Carolina.

Duke won both regular-season games against Liberty. And lost both games to Liberty in the NCAA Tournament.

Duke opened last season by winning two of three against Coastal Carolina.
    Thanks, Jim. I know I can Google all that stuff, but it adds so much context when we get it from you.

I had completely forgotten about our Liberty wins during season and struggles in the round robin.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke plays App St at 4:00 today. Both teams are 2-1, with App having beaten Campbell in their opening series.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...0-7142ca55ce90
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Long-range forecast for Waco:

Friday cloudy, high 45, low 29
    Saturday cloudy, high 48, low 35, 50% chance of rain
    Sunday sunny, high 60, low 34

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Long-range forecast for Waco:

Friday cloudy, high 45, low 29
    Saturday cloudy, high 48, low 35, 50% chance of rain
    Sunday sunny, high 60, low 34
    Friday night can't be much fun for a pitcher throwing the ball in cold temps.

Just tuned in to see that in the bottom of the 4th Duke is losing 4 - 1.

Duke had the bases loaded, batter on looking at a 3-1 count with only one out.

Pitcher fired 2 strikes in a row, then smoked the next batter leaving 3 Dukies stranded on base. Grrrr.

Still 4-1 App.

Thanks Chad Knight! Homer over the Blue Monster with 2 men on, ties it up. Only one out still.

WOW! Chris Davis steals home from 1st for the lead!

4-5 Duke

(And that's the score going into the 6th)

Exciting game.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide