Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Did they all decide to sign and leave?
    They'll get more money leaving as juniors than as seniors (unless the extra covid year is still a thing).
    T '05, SOM '10

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Whew that's a lot of pitching talent out the door. Loper is a senior so no eligibility left, but Williams, Johnson, and Seidl threw a lot of innings for us the last couple of years
    On paper, yes, I totally agree that's a lot of "talent", but at the same time, our pitching last season was a big reason we didn't have a post season.
    Not that losing any guys will ever help, but it's hard to say that we'll notice anything missing if they go.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

NCAA Division 1 college baseball teams with the most draft picks in the 2022 MLB Draft:

1. Oklahoma - 11
    2. Tennessee - 10
    3. Arkansas, Oklahoma State - 9
    4. Auburn, Oregon State, Georgia Tech, Texas - 8
    5. Ole Miss, Mississippi State - 7
    6. Arizona State, Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, FL, Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, UC-Santa Barbara, Vanderbilt - 6
    7. Duke, Louisville, Missouri, UNC-CH, South Carolina, TCU, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Southern Mississippi - 5

Duke hires Wake's recruiting coordinator. That completes our coaching staff for 2023. Next up is gains/losses through the portal.

Link: https://goduke.com/news/2022/7/21/ty...ing-staff.aspx

Duke has added 2 grad transfers for 2023.

Joshua Solomon played centerfield for a Columbia team that was a regional finalist last year. Solomon batted .287 with 20 doubles, 11 homers, 35 RBI, and 12 stolen bases last season for Columbia.

Cole Hebble comes from UMass, where he played shortstop. He hit .354 with 20 doubles, 4 homers, and 25 RBI in 47 games last year. With Mooney at short, he is likely to be a strong candidate at 2nd or 3rd for Duke in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    On paper, yes, I totally agree that's a lot of "talent", but at the same time, our pitching last season was a big reason we didn't have a post season.
    Not that losing any guys will ever help, but it's hard to say that we'll notice anything missing if they go.
    I think this is the correct assessment. Johnson, Loper, and Seidl struggled last season. They had a combined ERA of almost 6 runs, although they were a big reason why Duke won the ACC championship in 2021. Henry Williams isn’t a big loss simply because he rarely pitched in his 3 years due to injury.

On the plus side, Santucci and Fox return and will likely be weekend starters. Also, Duke has 3 incoming freshmen who are all rated among the top 10 pitchers in the 2022 class by Perfect Game. Kassius Thomas is a RHP from California, Oliver Santos is a LHP from California, and Aiden Weaver is a RHP from Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    I think this is the correct assessment. Johnson, Loper, and Seidl struggled last season. They had a combined ERA of almost 6 runs, although they were a big reason why Duke won the ACC championship in 2021. Henry Williams isn’t a big loss simply because he rarely pitched in his 3 years due to injury.

On the plus side, Santucci and Fox return and will likely be weekend starters. Also, Duke has 3 incoming freshmen who are all rated among the top 10 pitchers in the 2022 class by Perfect Game. Kassius Thomas is a RHP from California, Oliver Santos is a LHP from California, and Aiden Weaver is a RHP from Pennsylvania.
    will all three of those frosh coming, or might they sign MLB contracts? I obviously don't keep track

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    will all three of those frosh coming, or might they sign MLB contracts? I obviously don't keep track
    None of them were drafted and none signed as free agent. Before the draft they were on most draft boards, but likely were not drafted because they made it known they intended to go to college.

None of them were drafted and none signed as free agent. Before the draft they were on most draft boards, but likely were not drafted because they made it known they intended to go to college.
    Great news. Thanks!

One of the last unanswered questions about Duke in 2023. RJ Schreck, who has a Covid year remaining, is transferring to Vanderbilt.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One of the last unanswered questions about Duke in 2023. RJ Schreck, who has a Covid year remaining, is transferring to Vanderbilt.
    That's a bummer, but congrats to him for being able to transfer to such a top tier program. Bring your game day earplugs!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New assistant hire was a good one

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Duke hires Wake's recruiting coordinator. That completes our coaching staff for 2023. Next up is gains/losses through the portal.

Link: https://goduke.com/news/2022/7/21/ty...ing-staff.aspx
    My nephew played for him last year at Wake and loved him. He also coached the Burlington Sock Puppets college wood bat team this summer, and I bumped into two of his players at RDU going home at the end of the season. They loved him too. With the transfer portal being what it is, having a coach the players really buy into and like will be a big plus.
    Last edited by DieHard; 08-12-2022 at 07:55 PM.

Duke baseball camp has started and includes Sage's grandson, who will play college ball somewhere. Here's hoping...

As a Devil/Dore I approve of this transfer...

Former Dukie Matt Mervis started the season at A+ South Bend in the Cubs organization. He has now advanced to the AAA Iowa Cubs. For the season, with 3 different teams, he is hitting.312 with 33 doubles, 24 homers, and 93 RBI. Since the call up to AAA Iowa Mervis is batting.292 with 8 doubles and 3 homers in 19 games. If he continues this pace, he may soon get a call up to the MLB. He is playing first base for the Iowa Cubs. Any Cubs fans familiar with the Cubs situation at first for the MLB team?

Duke has received a commitment from Class of 2025 MIF Jayden Stroman. He is rated 8th overall in the 2025 class by Perfect Game. He is the younger brother of former Dukie and Chicago Cub pitcher Marcus Stroman.

Stroman is the 4th Duke commitment in the 2025 class that are ranked by Perfect Game among the top 50 players in the country.