Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
    Pitching has killed this team. Watching the VT game—we have 10 runs in 7th inning and will likely lose.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by triple duke View Post
    Pitching has killed this team. Watching the VT game—we have 10 runs in 7th inning and will likely lose.
    Jim Sumner, as amazing as he is, is put on a pre-season report timeout for next year. At least for any articles that highlight how much our bullpen should shine.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Jim Sumner, as amazing as he is, is put on a pre-season report timeout for next year. At least for any articles that highlight how much our bullpen should shine.
    I don't get paid to write negative articles.

That said, Duke was nationally ranked in most of the preseason and early season polls. It wasn't just me. As the King of Siam said, tis a puzzlement.

That said, Duke is going to have to take a long, hard look at how they are developing and using their pitchers. There really are too many good arms to keep putting up these kind of numbers.

With Clemson's 15-1 victory over BC, Duke's only way to extend the season is to win 2 and hope Clemson loses 2. For reference, Maine beat BC by a similar score midweek.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't get paid to write negative articles.
    But that's where the money is!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That said, Duke was nationally ranked in most of the preseason and early season polls. It wasn't just me. As the King of Siam said, tis a puzzlement.

That said, Duke is going to have to take a long, hard look at how they are developing and using their pitchers. There really are too many good arms to keep putting up these kind of numbers.
    Picking on you in jest of course, and I think it's safe to say that a majority of us shared in your enthusiasm. Truly puzzling, as you said. I was ok with the early season ugliness; I'm sure I even said way back when that a bad start seems to be habitual. We just never grew out of it, which was head scratching, to say the least.

Silver lining, this year we aren't sweating out wondering our post season fate/destination. It's over. Truly,
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Clemson beat BC to claim the last spot in the ACC Tournament. Duke does play at 7PM tonight and 2PM tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Duke does play at 7PM tonight and 2PM tomorrow.
    Pity party games

Pity party games
    Sad but true.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

VT--1982 called. It wants those socks back when you're done with retro uni night.

There is no commentary on the video feed. No score after 1.

Outstanding night for Santucci even though Duke is down 1-0 after 6.

6-1 VT final. Tonight ends my cable subscription until basketball season.

So where does Duke baseball go from here? Coaching change? Know that last season was a lucky ACCT win so maybe that’s not part of the solution, but disappointing season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    So where does Duke baseball go from here? Coaching change? Know that last season was a lucky ACCT win so maybe that’s not part of the solution, but disappointing season.
    I seriously hope you don't mean Pollard. And last year was not "lucky". It was hard earned, and it was establishing Duke having a post season as habitual.
    Something happened, but it wasn't because our luck changed, nor do we need any changes at the top.

Hell no. We have a very good coach. I love our coach. We will bounce back.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Incredibly disappointing season and a cause for concern. But ... you need to write an essay explaining your knowledge of:

* The pathetic modern history of Duke baseball;
    * The pathetic underinvestment in Duke baseball facilities; and
    * The incredible multi-year, sustained success in recent Duke baseball history that should not be belittled as if it were just one "lucky" ACC tournament run.

To suggest that Coach Pollard be fired is really beyond the pale; sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Incredibly disappointing season and a cause for concern. But ... you need to write an essay explaining your knowledge of:

* The pathetic modern history of Duke baseball;
    * The pathetic underinvestment in Duke baseball facilities; and
    * The incredible multi-year, sustained success in recent Duke baseball history that should not be belittled as if it were just one "lucky" ACC tournament run.

To suggest that Coach Pollard be fired is really beyond the pale; sorry.
    Don’t think you read my whole post. Last year they won the ACC (Well earned but certainly a bit flukey…but that’s baseball), and Duke baseball has been pretty terrible for years, but if the University is going to keep pouring money into the sport (again, not as much as some other schools but still a lot in terms of scholarships & travel), not making the ACC tournament is beyond the pale, sorry buddy.

I seriously hope you don't mean Pollard. And last year was not "lucky". It was hard earned, and it was establishing Duke having a post season as habitual.
    Something happened, but it wasn't because our luck changed, nor do we need any changes at the top.
    Did you read the whole post? Or can you not comprehend the end…

Not only did I "Read the whole post", I quoted "the whole post". It's all of 2.1 sentences.

Those are your words, in entirety.

PS, your negative questioning tone of others replying to your "whole post" is not going to fly well here.

Your suggestion that a coaching change might be a remedy is not being well received.

On to next season.

Don’t think you read my whole post. Last year they won the ACC (Well earned but certainly a bit flukey…but that’s baseball), and Duke baseball has been pretty terrible for years, but if the University is going to keep pouring money into the sport (again, not as much as some other schools but still a lot in terms of scholarships & travel), not making the ACC tournament is beyond the pale, sorry buddy.
    Yes, I read all of it. Feel free to consider responding to my points, if you like. Otherwise, bye, buddy.