Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Problem with that change will be September early afternoon games. The heat/direct sun effects are intense and doubt students will actually sit there. Of course they can move around if they prefer.
    Having spent over 20 years sitting on the East side, this is definitely a major problem. However, good news for next year is that of our four September games, two are away, the Temple game at home is on Friday and presumably at night, and the A&T game will almost certainly be an evening/night game...if we can actually win some games, TV will give us better time slots as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    "Move around?" To where?

Can't exactly just take someone else's seats...

Ha ha. Hope we reach a point where no other seats available😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Did Coach Elko announce at halftime last night that the student section is being moved from the end zone to behind the visiting benches? If so, bravo!
    as others have said, yes.

It's great he's interacting with the students, though I suppose he's likely somewhat in for a surprise. In any case, I think that's better for the studetnts. In the endzone, you're kind of hanging out in no-man's land. At least now, you can rag on the opposing team.
    April 1

Earlier renderings of the renovations called for blue seatbacks in the new endzone seating. They ended up just putting bleachers in there, presumably because they moved the students there and they usually stand anyway. https://today.duke.edu/2014/11/wallacewadeconstruction

In my time attending games, students have been in the endzone, on the home side, and on the visitor's side. I'm not sure I noticed a difference in atmosphere. Still, I am glad we're getting new eyes looking at the various issues facing the football program. Improving the gameday atmosphere seems to be the biggest struggle, but I'm glad they are looking at some different ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Ha ha. Hope we reach a point where no other seats available😀😀
    Thanks for picking up on my joke.

we're all in on the ground floor at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we're all in on the ground floor at this point...
    Yep. you can be row 1-8, or A-Z, or AA-TT...pretty much any row you want! Though IMO the ground floor seats aren't as good as ones slightly higher up.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Yep. you can be row 1-8, or A-Z, or AA-TT...pretty much any row you want! Though IMO the ground floor seats aren't as good as ones slightly higher up.
    Funny you should say that: we renewed our season tickets yesterday, but are looking to move up several rows if we can...would also get us earlier shade for afternoon games..

Coach Cut

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Coach Cut is apparently considering the possibility of becoming an offensive analyst at Texas. If it works out it might help the Longhorns to recruit Arch Manning, the nephew of Eli and Peyton, who is a top QB prospect in the class of 2023 out of New Orleans.

That 9th Street Journal article was........something. I mean, I would expect Cutcliffe to hold some conservative views, but I would also expect him to have a lot more empathy for the players he's coached, who this issue directly affects.

I am much less sad now to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    That 9th Street Journal article was....something. I mean, I would expect Cutcliffe to hold some conservative views, but I would also expect him to have a lot more empathy for the players he's coached, who this issue directly affects.

Ditto, such a disappointing leadership implosion. On one hand, if you told me Clarence Birkhead strong-armed a player dev staffer into a photo op with the team, I'd believe that based on some long-ago interactions I had. However, the follow-up scolding makes clear that wasn't the case.

What an awful way to kick off a bye week following a blowout loss. One benefit of a youthful coaching staff was supposed to be connection to players, and it's a poor reflection on them as well if they couldn't get through to Cutcliffe and save him from himself. Sadly that probably wasn't the first or last such instance.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    That 9th Street Journal article was...something. I mean, I would expect Cutcliffe to hold some conservative views, but I would also expect him to have a lot more empathy for the players he's coached, who this issue directly affects.

Quote Originally Posted by laxdawg97 View Post
    Ditto, such a disappointing leadership implosion. On one hand, if you told me Clarence Birkhead strong-armed a player dev staffer into a photo op with the team, I'd believe that based on some long-ago interactions I had. However, the follow-up scolding makes clear that wasn't the case.

What an awful way to kick off a bye week following a blowout loss. One benefit of a youthful coaching staff was supposed to be connection to players, and it's a poor reflection on them as well if they couldn't get through to Cutcliffe and save him from himself. Sadly that probably wasn't the first or last such instance.
    I'm trying to not ride the line here. there are worlds in which David Cutcliffe is a good person, AND the story proceeded as it did. I certainly hope we live in one of those worlds. I think REGARDLESS of whether we live in one of those worlds or not, it means he is/was no longer the right person to lead Duke Football.

I'm thankful for what he did for the program, hold him no animosity whether considering this situation or not, and have hope for the future with coach Elko...and wish him best when he realizes what he's gotten himself into. I hope I'm free on all our home dates in the fall, and hope to be able to "ush" some of you on some of those dates.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm trying to not ride the line here. there are worlds in which David Cutcliffe is a good person, AND the story proceeded as it did. I certainly hope we live in one of those worlds. I think REGARDLESS of whether we live in one of those worlds or not, it means he is/was no longer the right person to lead Duke Football.

I'm thankful for what he did for the program, hold him no animosity whether considering this situation or not, and have hope for the future with coach Elko...and wish him best when he realizes what he's gotten himself into. I hope I'm free on all our home dates in the fall, and hope to be able to "ush" some of you on some of those dates.
    good post, but I think Elko knows precisely what he got himself into. Look at our record over the past few years, he's seen the video. Not pretty. But he's young, enthusiastic, has assembled a huge and talented staff, and is getting paid gobs of money.
    It's just going to take some time.

good post, but I think Elko knows precisely what he got himself into. Look at our record over the past few years, he's seen the video. Not pretty. But he's young, enthusiastic, has assembled a huge and talented staff, and is getting paid gobs of money.
    It would be hard to do worse. There's only one way to go and he'll have a few years to figure it out, and a decent budget to work with.

https://vimeo.com/656152897

On his appearance with Packer and Durham the day of his hiring presser, he talked of the continuity of coaches at Duke, the opportunity to “grow roots”, and leave his “handprints” all over the program.

I truly believe he’s here to build it, build it his way, without the pressure to win today or be gone.

I look forward to his game week and postgame interviews. I suspect they’ll be with candor, colorful, and not 100% coach speak.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post

On his appearance with Packer and Durham the day of his hiring presser, he talked of the continuity of coaches at Duke, the opportunity to “grow roots”, and leave his “handprints” all over the program.

I truly believe he’s here to build it, build it his way, without the pressure to win today or be gone.

I look forward to his game week and postgame interviews. I suspect they’ll be with candor, colorful, and not 100% coach speak.
    I'm even more convinced today than I was 2 months ago that we got the right guy. My other football program is in the SEC, and what Elko and his staff are doing recruiting-wise has a distinct SEC edge to it.

I'm also happy to see the off-field staff growing with recent digital/media hires. We all know the journey will have ups and downs, but speaking as somebody across the country who struggles to make 2 games per season, I'm excited by a deeper look into the turnaround. Now they just need to get the G.R.I.N.D. shirts in the online store.

It's great to hear Coach Cutcliffe may have found his next opportunity, too. Austin is a great place to re-charge your batteries, if nothing else.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm even more convinced today than I was 2 months ago that we got the right guy. My other football program is in the SEC, and what Elko and his staff are doing recruiting-wise has a distinct SEC edge to it.
    Mind elaborating?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm also happy to see the off-field staff growing with recent digital/media hires. We all know the journey will have ups and downs, but speaking as somebody across the country who struggles to make 2 games per season, I'm excited by a deeper look into the turnaround. Now they just need to get the G.R.I.N.D. shirts in the online store.

It's great to hear Coach Cutcliffe may have found his next opportunity, too. Austin is a great place to re-charge your batteries, if nothing else.
    As we agree that Mike Elko appears to be our guy, I’d be remiss to not give credit to Nina King and the administration for acknowledging just what resources are necessary to make Duke football viable in today’s NCAA environment.

Agree that the G.R.I.N.D. shirts needs to be available to the public. Mrs PDDUKE85 has an upcoming birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post

Why would you expect anything other than "coach speak"? He'll learn quickly to say nothing substantial to the media/public.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Why would you expect anything other than "coach speak"? He'll learn quickly to say nothing substantial to the media/public.
    I appreciate he’s not going to say anything that can be construed as controversial but I’m looking for more than “they’re solid in all three phases, offense, defense and the kicking game. They’re extremely well coached, extremely disciplined, and we’re going to have to play our best for 60 minutes to have a chance.” Oh, and, “this was the best Sunday practice since we’ve been here”

Say nothing, but say it with, I don’t know, personality?