Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    I'm not often speechless.

But I'm speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Wow, great find. Definitely an ill-advised invitation by Duke. I've always had respect for Cutcliffe the man (as opposed to the football coach) but his reaction to his players' dismay was really not good at all. Glad we've moved on.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    durham police likely would have been a better choice than the sheriff, I think...but regardless, even if the intent WAS to have a productive conversation, the response the next day...oof.
    I also think it's a microcosm into the how the staff was functioning as a whole, on-field and off-field. Lack of communication, preparation, and ultimately empathy for what these players are dealing with. The staff - particularly player development staff - should be protecting the team from this sort of crap rather than pulling them into it, and it's hard to believe no one on the coaching staff could recognize this as the landmine it was.

Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    I can believe that the intent was good, to try to foster some sort of dialogue, but the execution of the idea was horrible in almost every way. Start with the fact that it’s on the players day off during the season. During the season, you don’t have a lot of free time as a player. Almost every minute of almost every day is booked with some sort of activity, weather classes, practice, film session, practice, studying, or whatever. Even if this idea was executed perfectly, it should have been in the off-season when there’s a little more time for things outside of football in school.

So it started off on the wrong foot even before it got started, and then it just went horribly wrong from there. Cuts complete misread of the thoughts and concerns of his players is telling. Sure, one would hope that everyone would be respectful of anyone doing a presentation and there’s probably room to give that message to the team, but the overwhelming message should have been an acknowledgment and an apology that the presentation and conversation were not at all what the intent was. Not surprising that the team lost some fight after that incident and performed so poorly the rest of the year.
    I recently listened to a podcast interview with a leader on the team last season, and I was surprised to hear him use the phrase "it was time" in reference to the change while also lauding Cutcliffe and the staff. It now makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Off by a week, but I see where you're going. While you must account for the quality of the competition somewhat, before the presentation Duke was out-scored by the opposition 221-189 over 7 games...afterwards, Duke was out-scored 256-85 over 5 games.

This might be the new dictionary example for "losing the team".
    After the UVA debacle, the Wake game was always going to be a steep climb. The listless 28-0 first half, particularly the route-running and tackling, now makes a bit more sense. A more experienced coaching staff might have been able to keep this from spiraling, but these guys never had a chance.

Not to change the topic here and maybe this deserves its own thread but a University of Texas football website is reporting that UT may be trying to convince David Cutcliffe to join its staff, with the implication that Texas is pulling out all the stops in their recruitment of Arch Manning. It is being reported that the young Manning may be down to two schools - Alabama and Texas (and who knows if this is true?). I would have thought that, maybe, Alabama would try to pursue Coach Cutcliffe with the hopes of convincing Arch Manning to enroll there.

See story below:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-r...194554181.html

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Not to change the topic here and maybe this deserves its own thread but a University of Texas football website is reporting that UT may be trying to convince David Cutcliffe to join its staff, with the implication that Texas is pulling out all the stops in their recruitment of Arch Manning. It is being reported that the young Manning may be down to two schools - Alabama and Texas (and who knows if this is true?). I would have thought that, maybe, Alabama would try to pursue Coach Cutcliffe with the hopes of convincing Arch Manning to enroll there.

See story below:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-r...194554181.html
    Special envoy in charge of recruiting one player.

I guess if you have your own TV network.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This might be the new dictionary example for "losing the team".
    First phrase that popped into my mind – seems like that was a perfectly valid description after all.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not often speechless.

But I'm speechless.
    One thing I've learned when inviting "guest speakers" is to know what they are going to say.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    One thing I've learned when inviting "guest speakers" is to know what they are going to say.
    Holy crapola, Durham County Sheriff Birkhead! When you address the intelligent, mostly black Duke football team, don't let your briefer give a circle-your-wagons, "black men are dangerous" talk. Whisky tango foxtrot?!?!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    holy crapola, durham county sheriff birkhead! When you address the intelligent, mostly black duke football team, don't let your briefer give a circle-your-wagons, "black men are dangerous" talk. Whisky tango foxtrot?!?!
    a m e n...🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

I’m saddened to read this, as someone who thinks well of Clarence Birkhead and David Cutcliffe, but I have to say the players quoted impress me. They engaged the material, sniffed it out quickly, and weren’t going to let themselves be snowed by simple authority. There’s a ray of hope there.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    That was the first thing that came to mind. Utterly imbecilic notion by Cut and the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That was the first thing that came to mind. Utterly imbecilic notion by Cut and the staff.
    Just as imbecilic if not more so were his actions the next day.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    I can believe that the intent was good, to try to foster some sort of dialogue, but the execution of the idea was horrible in almost every way. Start with the fact that it’s on the players day off during the season. During the season, you don’t have a lot of free time as a player. Almost every minute of almost every day is booked with some sort of activity, weather classes, practice, film session, practice, studying, or whatever. Even if this idea was executed perfectly, it should have been in the off-season when there’s a little more time for things outside of football in school.

So it started off on the wrong foot even before it got started, and then it just went horribly wrong from there. Cuts complete misread of the thoughts and concerns of his players is telling. Sure, one would hope that everyone would be respectful of anyone doing a presentation and there’s probably room to give that message to the team, but the overwhelming message should have been an acknowledgment and an apology that the presentation and conversation were not at all what the intent was. Not surprising that the team lost some fight after that incident and performed so poorly the rest of the year.
    This might prove to be an advantage in the long run... understanding the effects that certain meteorological conditions can have on gameplay could be the edge that puts our squad over the top

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    This might prove to be an advantage in the long run... understanding the effects that certain meteorological conditions can have on gameplay could be the edge that puts our squad over the top
    Everybody talks about the weather.

But nobody does anything about it.

Did Coach Elko announce at halftime last night that the student section is being moved from the end zone to behind the visiting benches? If so, bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Everybody talks about the weather.

But nobody does anything about it.
    I can make it rain on command. All I have to do is wash my car.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Did Coach Elko announce at halftime last night that the student section is being moved from the end zone to behind the visiting benches? If so, bravo!
    I believe he did, but the Cameron PA ‘system is so bad I couldn’t understand a word.

Anyway, the ticket sales page on “find tickets” shows the student section moves to the front of sections 8-12.

https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/nc...duke-athletics

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I believe he did, but the Cameron PA ‘system is so bad I couldn’t understand a word.

Anyway, the ticket sales page on “find tickets” shows the student section moves to the front of sections 8-12.

https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/nc...duke-athletics
    If they get students it is a good move. If not it will look more empty.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yup. And get some energy at the middle of the field instead of in the end zone.

If, as you say, they can get students to come. It looks like Elko is doing what he can.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Problem with that change will be September early afternoon games. The heat/direct sun effects are intense and doubt students will actually sit there. Of course they can move around if they prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Problem with that change will be September early afternoon games. The heat/direct sun effects are intense and doubt students will actually sit there. Of course they can move around if they prefer.
    "Move around?" To where?

Can't exactly just take someone else's seats...