Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don’t know anything about football programs or athletic departments, but I know a bit about organizations and budgets. The executive team should not go to the head of a division and ask if they want more money. The answer will alway be yes. The head of a division should make a strong case to the executive team that they deserve a larger share of resources, for reasons.
    You said it better than I did.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don’t know anything about football programs or athletic departments, but I know a bit about organizations and budgets. The executive team should not go to the head of a division and ask if they want more money. The answer will alway be yes. The head of a division should make a strong case to the executive team that they deserve a larger share of resources, for reasons.
    I'm not arguing with that, but it seems to me that it's in Duke best interest to ensure that the team is the best that they can be, and that would fall on the administrators as well as the coaches.

My point is that it seems to me that the athletic department needs an event such as a coaching change for anything to happen, at which point we are all wondering if Duke will even bother spending the money needed to make such a change happen. Thankfully they have, twice now, but it shouldn't take such upheaval to put those gears in motion. We aren't leading the way at that point, or even playing par; we are playing catchup and climbing out of the bottom of a barrel.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Moot point now, but I'd still love to snow if the endowment's record breaking performance (resulting in an extra $120-$150 million per year in overall Duke spending if I calculate correctly) influenced the decision to fatten up football's budget. It could not have hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Moot point now, but I'd still love to snow if the endowment's record breaking performance (resulting in an extra $120-$150 million per year in overall Duke spending if I calculate correctly) influenced the decision to fatten up football's budget. It could not have hurt.
    Speculation here. Would Kevin White have terminated Cut? Would Kevin White have been aggressive in securing the monies for a new coaching staff?

I realize it’s early in her term, but count me in as a huge supporter of Nina King.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Speculation here. Would Kevin White have terminated Cut? Would Kevin White have been aggressive in securing the monies for a new coaching staff?

I realize it’s early in her term, but count me in as a huge supporter of Nina King.
    I agree with you heartily. I don't think White would have made the change, and I doubt he would have spearheaded a major upgrading of the program. A lot of people on some other boards were all over King's case during the season for "doing nothing" but I think she handled everything in a professional, forward thinking manner. (e.g. she did not fire Cut during the season, but it seems obvious she had her proverbial football ducks in a row once the season ended).

I'm definitely on the Nina King bus/train/SST,
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I agree with you heartily. I don't think White would have made the change, and I doubt he would have spearheaded a major upgrading of the program. A lot of people on some other boards were all over King's case during the season for "doing nothing" but I think she handled everything in a professional, forward thinking manner. (e.g. she did not fire Cut during the season, but it seems obvious she had her proverbial football ducks in a row once the season ended).
    Agree 1000%. Any doubts about her ability to lead this athletic department into its next phase should be complete gone at this point. She handled the Cut transition deftly and with grace allowing for as smooth of a transition as it could be given that Cut didn't really want to go. Then she worked a thorough search process (slower than many wanted for sure) and landed what I think is an absolute home run hire for Duke, plus secured a lot more funding to make the staff and team more competitive. Fans did what fans do, particularly on message boards where nothing is ever fast enough, but she has been nothing less than phenomenal in her first 8 months or whatever on the job. I'm sure we won't always agree with her decisions and are free to question them given her public leadership role, but no one should question her ability or qualifications.

Here's a hypothetical question. If you were in charge of Duke, would you have given a lot more dollars to football under Cut in an attempt to shore up a faltering program? I mean, it's not as though he would recruit new assistant coaches with the newfound largesse. The time to up the ante on football is with a new coach and a need to hire a totally new staff.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's a hypothetical question. If you were in charge of Duke, would you have given a lot more dollars to football under Cut in an attempt to shore up a faltering program? I mean, it's not as though he would recruit new assistant coaches with the newfound largesse. The time to up the ante on football is with a new coach and a need to hire a totally new staff.
    No. No. And no again. He insisted on running "his" offense, and it was completely predictable and ineffective. And his dual coordinator defense was beyond pathetic one year ago( and this past year) despite having multiple NFL draftees and three guys who transferred to big time programs and played well.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    No. No. And no again. He insisted on running "his" offense, and it was completely predictable and ineffective. And his dual coordinator defense was beyond pathetic one year ago( and this past year) despite having multiple NFL draftees and three guys who transferred to big time programs and played well.
    Hopefully that was an issue with only HIS dual DC setup, because we'll have the same thing this season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hopefully that was an issue with only HIS dual DC setup, because we'll have the same thing this season.
    Indeed, I would like to think the outcome is dependent upon the guys running the defense.

Agree; but this coming season will be a DUD. Very little experience at skill positions, not a lot of skill at skill positions and questionable OL/DL capability.

I just hope we keep some ACC games competitive and don’t really expect to win any in conference. Cut let the program fall dramatically and will take a couple of seasons to maybe bring it back to mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Agree; but this coming season will be a DUD. Very little experience at skill positions, not a lot of skill at skill positions and questionable OL/DL capability.

I just hope we keep some ACC games competitive and don’t really expect to win any in conference. Cut let the program fall dramatically and will take a couple of seasons to maybe bring it back to mediocre.
    once again we're in on the ground floor! I've been in this position about six times in my Duke fandom career...I have extreme optimism about this new staff but agree that wins are going to be hard to come by for a year or two. Hope they surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yep, I agree with you and Budwom that the program is back at ground zero. My expectation on win totals is low.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yep, I agree with you and Budwom that the program is back at ground zero. My expectation on win totals is low.
    On a brighter note, I'm very much looking forward to this season, even though I know the losses will be coming. Big difference from the same situation last year.

On a brighter note, I'm very much looking forward to this season, even though I know the losses will be coming. Big difference from the same situation last year.
    Agreed. Green Family season tickets are renewed.
    Bob Green

The players seem to like the enthusiasm and competence of the new regime, which is very good news...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Agreed. Green Family season tickets are renewed.
    After deciding to opt out after last season’s debacle (and the year before, and the year before), we decided to opt our butts back in with the birth of the Elko era. Worked with Alex in ticketing this morning and happy to be out of the portal and back to BFAWWS.

The following is an email that Ozzie received from Evan Sauer, our tailgating go to guy.
    This sounds like a great day, and I'll be there with the grill! (Hopefully TNTdevil will be too.)
    Any of the games that will be streaming I will have on our tailgate TV.
    I'm so excited about the fact that Duke is doing this, it's an excellent step in the right direction for getting fans in the stands next season. If anyone would like a taste of what our gameday tailgates are like, we'd love you to join us for the Spring Game.

Blue Devil Alley,

Hope your new year is starting off well. Recently Duke Football released the 2022 schedule, and we are excited to be hosting our spring game on Saturday, April 16th at 6 pm. On the same day, we have Duke Baseball versus Notre Dame (at Jack Coombs Field) and Duke Women’s Lacrosse versus Boston College at home. As Blue Devil Alley members, we wanted to offer you this opportunity to come tailgate for all these events. This tailgate will be free of charge! Since there are multiple events on campus this day, the tailgate will be happening on Frank Bassett Dr. which is closer to all athletic venues (less than a 4 minute walk for each). Attached is a map and below is a schedule for Saturday April 16th.

Saturday, April 16th
    12:00 pm Blue Devil Alley opens
    1:00 pm Women’s Lacrosse versus Boston College
    3:00 pm Baseball versus Notre Dame (@Jack Coombs field)
    6:00 pm Football Spring game
    9:00 pm Blue Devil Alley closes

Reach out to us (Evan Sauer or Pat Tracy) to reserve a tent spot.

We look forward to a great season of Tailgating!

https://twitter.com/rockyshelton18/s...712821760?s=21

Appears the Devils have experience at linebacker returning!
    Welcome home, Rocky