Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I opted not to make the 3.5 hours drive to Duke for this afternoon’s open practice but, I’m anxiously awaiting reports from those of you in attendance.
    I don't have the capacity to evaluate a football practice, but the guys seemed enthusiastic, got to see some recent and less recent former players as well which was great! Tre Hornbuckle (who is now playing in the CFL I believe) and a gentleman by the name of Rojas who was at Duke from ~66-72 if any of our better historians happen to recognize the name. I'm sure there were others in attendance as well!

It was a lot of fun to witness the banter from the coaches I will say, in particular (unsurprisingly) Trooper Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't have the capacity to evaluate a football practice...
    I acknowledge your caveat above but…any thoughts on the quarterbacks? Who looked better throwing the ball?
    Bob Green

I acknowledge your caveat above but…any thoughts on the quarterbacks? Who looked better throwing the ball?
    Moore looked good but seemed to run more than he passed. Riley had some errant throws at times but I'd guess he's probably got the edge right now. Of course some of that could be intentional misdirection in an open practice.

Moore looked good but seemed to run more than he passed. Riley had some errant throws at times but I'd guess he's probably got the edge right now. Of course some of that could be intentional misdirection in an open practice.
    Thanks! I appreciate you sharing your observations.
    Bob Green

RE quarterbacks-Leonard was the first to run plays? does this mean he is currently #1?

to my untrained eye-I thought Moore looked a bit better. Passes seemed a bit crisper and pretty well on target. As Acymetric noted, he did seem to be more eager to run.

We enjoyed the afternoon.

The one thing I learned at yesterday’s open practice is that Gavin Spurrier throws the most beautiful spiral and has great touch and accuracy on his throws. Best I’ve seen at Duke since Dave Brown? Better than either of our expected starters. If only our wide receivers could catch them.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Freshman Henry Belin impressed a lot of people at QB...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Freshman Henry Belin impressed a lot of people at QB...
    Leonard and Waters both better get better in a hurry. The noise behind them is from both experience and youth, but unfortunately not in the same body.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The one thing I learned at yesterday’s open practice is that Gavin Spurrier throws the most beautiful spiral and has great touch and accuracy on his throws. Best I’ve seen at Duke since Dave Brown? Better than either of our expected starters. If only our wide receivers could catch them.
    Is Gavin perhaps a late bloomer? You would think with his pedigree he would have had some playing time in his first three years at Duke. Does he have some faults that prevent him from being viable?

Competition is good. The new staff has started from scratch...as evidence, long time OL starter and captain Monk has moved to center. Whatever it takes.

This is when I miss someone like Jim Sumner who has inside information to tell us what he really thought about the practice. I thought there would be some comment on the front page. I get it that this is Duke BASKETBALL Report, but since football drives the college sports bus, maybe we could show a little more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    This is when I miss someone like Jim Sumner who has inside information to tell us what he really thought about the practice. I thought there would be some comment on the front page. I get it that this is Duke BASKETBALL Report, but since football drives the college sports bus, maybe we could show a little more interest.
    Agreed, Mr Sumner will be missed greatly during football season

It's going to be hard to average 20 PPG game this year even with a lot of really bad defenses on our schedule. Was there any hope on the defensive front from the scrimmage?

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It's going to be hard to average 20 PPG game this year even with a lot of really bad defenses on our schedule. Was there any hope on the defensive front from the scrimmage?
    It's always difficult to draw conclusions when we play ourselves. Let's see how we look vs Temple. I'm going to be interested to see the two deep whenever that comes out, should be a lot of revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    ...If only our wide receivers could catch them.
    This is *so* discouraging to read, but I have to remind myself that there's still time for improvement...if not by kickoff this season (or later this season), hopefully by the time they're upperclassmen. Fingers crossed that it won't be the latter! To those of you who went out on the recon mission, appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    This is *so* discouraging to read, but I have to remind myself that there's still time for improvement...if not by kickoff this season (or later this season), hopefully by the time they're upperclassmen. Fingers crossed that it won't be the latter! To those of you who went out on the recon mission, appreciate the feedback.
    I really like our receiving corps. Don't read too much into one open practice, IMO (not disputing Ozzie's report or anything).

The problems with our receivers the past two years is that they could rarely get open...they got muscled by a lot of teams. This problem might take some time to fix, but maybe the new offensive scheme will help. Hope so.

The problems with our receivers the past two years is that they could rarely get open...they got muscled by a lot of teams. This problem might take some time to fix, but maybe the new offensive scheme will help. Hope so.
    Hopefully they are a little better prepared to do some muscling around of their own after this off-season.

Frustrating part is we have big receivers who should not be getting muscled. Darrell Harding, Jr is 6’4” 222 and Eli Pancol is 6’3” 205. Those guys should be able to physically dominate cornerbacks.
    Bob Green

Oh by the way, there is a video out there of Aeneas Peebles absolutely manhandling some weights (from a while back but I don't think I saw it posted here). For people familiar with lifting terminology (I'm not) the comments are all some variation of "That isn't that much for a backsquat...oh nevermind" (it was some other harder lift, and he looked like he could have done twice as much* the way he threw those things around). If someone has the link handy you should post it, otherwise I'll try to share later this evening!

*Obviously not really but he made those things look light