Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Duke football, meet social media, social media, meet Duke football.
    The creative/social media teams have been absolutely phenomenal since Elko came on board. Really great stuff, it should only get better when the season comes around! Going to their media page and scrolling through the videos is well worth it if you have some spare minutes (no Twitter account needed to browse). I imagine a lot of this stuff also gets posted to Facebook and Instagram if that is more your thing.

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/media

Edit: if you notice a bunch of identical shoe videos, that is the bat signal for landing a commit.

Heads up, Kevin John's will be on Packer & Durham (ACC Network) in just a few minutes at 9:15!

https://twitter.com/DukeFootballPR/s...06823592316930

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Heads up, Kevin John's will be on Packer & Durham (ACC Network) in just a few minutes at 9:15!

https://twitter.com/DukeFootballPR/s...06823592316930
    Wish we could get one more interview with Elko before they go off the air...

Anyway, I'm here to direct you to this extremely cool video for the football team. Kind of a WWE take on the weight room highlights. I obviously don't post every every social media post on here, but this one you really must check out! It is so good it almost warrants a thread.

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...83580872839170

A preview of Duke’s 2022 season, from an SI-sponsored Miami site. It seems like a fair assessment, though it’s a bit daunting to be reminded of last year’s stats for our defense, as well as for some of the excellent opposing quarterbacks.

https://www.si.com/college/miami/foo...ke-blue-devils

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    A preview of Duke’s 2022 season, from an SI-sponsored Miami site. It seems like a fair assessment, though it’s a bit daunting to be reminded of last year’s stats for our defense, as well as for some of the excellent opposing quarterbacks.

https://www.si.com/college/miami/foo...ke-blue-devils
    Good review and done with no snark. I’m mildly optimistic that Elko will show improvement even if it doesn’t necessarily translate to many wins this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Good review and done with no snark. I’m mildly optimistic that Elko will show improvement even if it doesn’t necessarily translate to many wins this year.
    Yes. I’m hopeful for some meaningful wins, but will be pleased with being competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    We have to learn/relearn how to compete for 4 quarters. We had to make plays to hang on against Northwestern in the 4th quarter, but Duke really won that game in the first half. If we can get 5-6 ACC games within 10 points, Elko will have made good progress. None of the teams on our schedule are unbeatable with our current talent, but finding any wins outside Temple and NCA&T is going to be really tough.

We have weaknesses and question marks throughout our lineup, but I am particularly concerned about the QB position. Hard to see us even being competitive unless Elko and staff can pull some magic there.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The good news is that the schedule is favorable. Duke should be favored against A&T and Temple, and Kansas and Northwestern are teams we beat last year. If things go right, a 4-0 start is possible. More likely, we are 3-1 or 2-2. If we can steal a conference game and go 4-8 or better, I'll count that as progress. Perhaps more important than the record is the way the team looks. I remember 2008 under Cut; what stuck out to me was the way Duke looked like an organized, competitive team in a way that had not been the case before. This season should show us the blueprint for what the next good Duke team will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    The good news is that the schedule is favorable. Duke should be favored against A&T and Temple, and Kansas and Northwestern are teams we beat last year. If things go right, a 4-0 start is possible. More likely, we are 3-1 or 2-2. If we can steal a conference game and go 4-8 or better, I'll count that as progress. Perhaps more important than the record is the way the team looks. I remember 2008 under Cut; what stuck out to me was the way Duke looked like an organized, competitive team in a way that had not been the case before. This season should show us the blueprint for what the next good Duke team will look like.
    Agreed with all of this. I'll be watching most for on-field evidence of culture change - better strength and conditioning, competing to the whistle all game long, improved fundamentals (e.g. better tackling and fewer penalties), coherent playcalling on both sides of the ball, and more energy and activity generally on the sidelines. Wins are secondary to laying the groundwork for better long-term results as players mature and the talent base is fortified.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Agreed with all of this. I'll be watching most for on-field evidence of culture change - better strength and conditioning, competing to the whistle all game long, improved fundamentals (e.g. better tackling and fewer penalties), coherent playcalling on both sides of the ball, and more energy and activity generally on the sidelines. Wins are secondary to laying the groundwork for better long-term results as players mature and the talent base is fortified.
    precisely. Would be fine with four wins, would be thrilled with one ACC win...any more than that is gravy...just want us to look like a football program.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    precisely. Would be fine with four wins, would be thrilled with one ACC win...any more than that is gravy...just want us to look like a football program.
    I concur with the above posts.

Some gravy would be nice though.

YOu may have left out, "playing tackle football after October 1."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sorry but we hear this crap every time there’s a coaching change!

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Very true but also true that each of these were areas of clear slippage in the last several years of the Cut era. With rock bottom hit in the last 2 months of the 2021 season. It can only go up from there.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Very true but also true that each of these were areas of clear slippage in the last several years of the Cut era. With rock bottom hit in the last 2 months of the 2021 season. It can only go up from there.
    And there was also clear improvement in all of those areas when Cut arrived. What happened in the last couple years of course is a greater mystery than the pyramids.

But I remember that initial culture change that you alluded to, and it was great.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Total concurrence

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I concur with the above posts.

Some gravy would be nice though.
    I believe that this year's team will show fight, team spirit, discipline, grit and field smarts. If our team does show this, I'll be happy, proud and grateful.

Coach Elko, staff and PLAYERS, we have your back. BleedBlue!

hustleplays
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

And it's precisely what we DID get during Cut's first few years...better discipline, conditioning, overall play. Then he replaced competent assistants with much lesser ones, and down the tubes we went...

Agree that the quality of assistant coaches/coordinators declined but the S&C coach remained the same. There seemed to be sharp decline in energy from the top. Perhaps accelerated by COVID, but seemed to occur prior to the pandemic.

Regardless, I have every faith that Coach Elko and his staff are infusing talent and energy from the start. It may take a couple of years to see the results in the win column, but I look forward to seeing the improvement as early as the opening game.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And it's precisely what we DID get during Cut's first few years...better discipline, conditioning, overall play. Then he replaced competent assistants with much lesser ones, and down the tubes we went...
    Yes when Coach Cut came we did get a huge and total culture change with him. I believe Coach Cut's demise was the loss of his Assistants and he didn't replace them with ones that we're as good. I also believe the Epidemic seriously hurt our program sadly. I really hated to see Coach Cut go out the way he did. He did so much for Duke but sadly he was unable to sustain it the last couple years.