Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Michigan DB Jordan Morant is transferring in to Duke. Former 4-star recruit, so the kid probably has some talent.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...g-to-duke.html
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I heard JFK was shot.
    I just heard that the Beatles were breaking up.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I just heard that the Beatles were breaking up.
    How will that impact recruiting?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Ringo is in the portal? Let's grab him . . .

And yet Pete Best is grinding it out in the D-League….

nowhere man?

Doesn't have a point of view
    Knows not where he's going to
    April 1

ACC Contemplating scheduling change

The new 3-5-5 would replace divisions.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...crap-divisions

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    The new 3-5-5 would replace divisions.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...crap-divisions
    There are some other things of note in the ESPN article. Phillips also discusses, thought not in a lot of detail: (a) the proposal to have the 10 FBS conferences (and ND) operate under the CFP for football purposes while all other sports operate under the NCAA and (b) paying football players as employees of the school.

NIL Theme song "You Never Give Me Your Money"

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    NIL Theme song "You Never Give Me Your Money"
    And when you do get that check, remember the "Taxman".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Maybe I read a different source, but I thought the proposed model for others was you play five 2 years in a row (home and away so just flip the prior year's conference schedule), and then the other five the following 2 years in row. So you play every team at least 2x every 4 years, but not necessarily every other year. Either way, I think it's an upgrade over the divisional format.
    I don't know if this helps, but it does somewhat explain how it would work. I'm still not clear on whether it's twice in a row or rotating. (I'd prefer the rotation.) Regardless of how it shakes out, at least we'd be playing State twice in four years which sure beats once in seven.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-mu...2023/20277626/

I don't know if this helps, but it does somewhat explain how it would work. I'm still not clear on whether it's twice in a row or rotating. (I'd prefer the rotation.) Regardless of how it shakes out, at least we'd be playing State twice in four years which sure beats once in seven.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-mu...2023/20277626/
    From ESPN:
    ... Though no vote was taken to formally change the format, commissioner Jim Phillips and multiple athletic directors discussed a 3-5-5 scheduling model in which league teams would play three permanent opponents, then rotate through the rest over a two-year period (five one year, five the next). ...
    They're not talking about playing the same team two years in a row. It's every other year.

By the way, picking the teams that a school plays every year is complex enough but I don't think we've discussed the complexity of deciding on a school's rotation with the other 10 teams. There won't be divisions so each school will have its own rotation and each school will have its own preferences. For instance, Duke would prefer to have things arranged so that we have a home game three years out of four with either Clemson, NCSU or Va. Tech since they can fill up Wallace Wade. We'd prefer to not play Clemson the same year as we play Notre Dame. It's going to be three dimensional chess to work out these sorts of things for each school.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    From ESPN:

They're not talking about playing the same team two years in a row. It's every other year.

By the way, picking the teams that a school plays every year is complex enough but I don't think we've discussed the complexity of deciding on a school's rotation with the other 10 teams. There won't be divisions so each school will have its own rotation and each school will have its own preferences. For instance, Duke would prefer to have things arranged so that we have a home game three years out of four with either Clemson, NCSU or Va. Tech since they can fill up Wallace Wade. We'd prefer to not play Clemson the same year as we play Notre Dame. It's going to be three dimensional chess to work out these sorts of things for each school.
    Ha, I still have trouble remembering if we're in the Coastal or Atlantic or Bipolar Division, now they want to do something different? I'll comprehend it when they put it down on a piece of paper, and not one minute sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, I still have trouble remembering if we're in the Coastal or Atlantic or Bipolar Division, now they want to do something different? I'll comprehend it when they put it down on a piece of paper, and not one minute sooner.
    You wouldn't really have to keep track of that anymore. It becomes like it was before divisions...just look at the schedule in front of you (and the overall standings I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You wouldn't really have to keep track of that anymore. It becomes like it was before divisions...just look at the schedule in front of you (and the overall standings I guess).
    OK, I can do that...but how would they conjure up a league championship game? Top two teams overall? That seems pretty flimsy...(to be clear, I think the championship game concept is pretty lame anyway)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    OK, I can do that...but how would they conjure up a league championship game? Top two teams overall? That seems pretty flimsy...(to be clear, I think the championship game concept is pretty lame anyway)...
    I think the top two teams overall is totally a better answer. And it means that whoever is second to Clemson is actually second to Clemson, unlike some years where the Coastal participant is more like the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference.

Possibly adding further inspiration to the ACC to follow suit, the PAC-12 has done away with their divisions.
    Pac-12 scraps divisions after NCAA Division I Council votes to eliminate requirements for FBS conference title games
    The NCAA Division I Council announced Wednesday that it will relax restrictions on college football's conference championship games, allowing conferences to determine the teams that would participate in their respective title game. The decision paves the way for conferences to avoid having title-game matchups determined by division winners as well as possibly eliminating divisions altogether.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ce-title-games

Since it took the PAC-12 less than a day to make their change, and knowing that the ACC has been discussing this, seeing a change for us very soon would not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    We already scheduled ND on the assumption we host UNC/VT in the opposite year. Optimizing Duke's ticket revenue isn't a concern for the ACC. Remember we are the only school that hosts a Thanksgiving weekend game 80% of the time.

I feel confident we will draw UNC/Wake/GT as our partners. UNC is not going to give up its border war with UVA for Wake. The same might apply for NCSU and Clemson's Textile Bowl. While I really like the local NCSU road game more than every 12 years, I wouldn't mind dropping all games with post-2004 expansion teams permanently.

Possibly adding further inspiration to the ACC to follow suit, the PAC-12 has done away with their divisions.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ce-title-games

Since it took the PAC-12 less than a day to make their change, and knowing that the ACC has been discussing this, seeing a change for us very soon would not surprise me.
    Please let it be so.

A couple of previews (well, they're from the same writer but include different stuff).
    Both indicate they came out yesterday, though that could be internet speak for February (I couldn't tell)...

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022...-games-players

https://sports.yahoo.com/duke-blue-d...ycsrp_catchall

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    A couple of previews (well, they're from the same writer but include different stuff).
    Both indicate they came out yesterday, though that could be internet speak for February (I couldn't tell)...

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022...-games-players

https://sports.yahoo.com/duke-blue-d...ycsrp_catchall
    Good find. Fiutak of collegefootballnews.com does a great job of previewing teams and games during the season...one of the few "experts" who actually watches teams play. I think he's 100% correct, looks like maybe four wins, zero chance of a bowl unless we find a way to beat NW. Pretty stark assessment of how bad Duke was last year...130th out of 130 teams in defense, and it DID seem that bad. I expect some very good years ahead, but 2022 will be a grind, hopefully we develop a new culture.