Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    ….. Meanwhile, can we resurrect Construction Cam in order to follow in real time, the greening of the practice field?

….
    I think I’d rather watch grass grow.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you know it's bad when your football team is getting beaten consistently by the high ball screen
    And let's not mention the failure to change coverage assignments so we don't get beaten by the wheel route. AGAIN. (screams internally)

Quote Originally Posted by BCCoordinators View Post
    And let's not mention the failure to change coverage assignments so we don't get beaten by the wheel route. AGAIN. (screams internally)
    What stuck out to me last season was our defense coming to the line of scrimmage, collectively looking at the sidelines, looking confused, as the opposition snapped the ball. I can’t blame the kids when they were being guided by what appeared to be indecisive incompetence.
    I’m thankful David Cutcliffe brought Duke football back from the grave. I’m thankful Nina King acted to stave off a return to that grave. I look forward to the Elko administration and see to what heights they can go.
    Go Duke

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    What stuck out to me last season was our defense coming to the line of scrimmage, collectively looking at the sidelines, looking confused, as the opposition snapped the ball. I can’t blame the kids when they were being guided by what appeared to be indecisive incompetence.
    I’m thankful David Cutcliffe brought Duke football back from the grave. I’m thankful Nina King acted to stave off a return to that grave. I look forward to the Elko administration and see to what heights they can go.
    Go Duke
    I put all that from last year on the staff with the exception of the TD that we gave up against UL when both LBs left the RB open.

Harvard Defensive Lineman Anthony Nelson, a kid who was pre-season All-Ivy a year ago, has committed to Duke as a grad transfer: https://twitter.com/anthonyn12720/st...66024785686534
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Harvard Defensive Lineman Anthony Nelson, a kid who was pre-season All-Ivy a year ago, has committed to Duke as a grad transfer: https://twitter.com/anthonyn12720/st...66024785686534
    Are he and Kale coming as a package? Will they be roomies?

PS..welcome to Duke!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's not 2022 but David Teel is reporting that the ACC may be about to scrap divisions in football and go to 3-5-5 scheduling -- three teams you play each year with five of the others one year and the other five the following year.

Can we get UNC, NCSU and WFU as our yearly games? If we alternate UNC and NCSU on our home schedule, we end up with one sellout or near sellout each year.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Defensive line is Duke's greatest position of need, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Can we get UNC, NCSU and WFU as our yearly games? If we alternate UNC and NCSU on our home schedule, we end up with one sellout or near sellout each year.
    I want Georgia Tech as one of our yearly games. Duke and Georgia Tech have played each other every year since 1933. UNC and WFU would be my other two choices.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I want Georgia Tech as one of our yearly games. Duke and Georgia Tech have played each other every year since 1933. UNC and WFU would be my other two choices.
    I agree. I will always miss playing the Wuffies, but those three games are the ones I look forward to most. They've tended to be a very balanced series (not counting the dark days of the 90s/early aughts)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was going to post the same thing, Bob. We've lost a lot of history with expansion, nice to keep at least one thing going. Although I'd prefer State to Wake as the third (given we probably have to play the cheaters every year.)

Going to chime in with a big dissent. After unc there is no team I want to be permanent partners with more than NC State, and Duke should be lobbying as hard as they can to make it happen. If we must drop someone for Georgia Tech, let it be Wake (although I think there is no chance we escape them realistically).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Going to chime in with a big dissent. After unc there is no team I want to be permanent partners with more than NC State, and Duke should be lobbying as hard as they can to make it happen. If we must drop someone for Georgia Tech, let it be Wake (although I think there is no chance we escape them realistically).
    Agreed, however, the biggest advantage of this change is that we get to play every team every other year. So that would still be a big upgrade over what we have now, where we play State every 6 years. My order of preference for permanent partners would be 1) UNC 2) State 3) Wake 4) GT. After that, I might go with either UVA or VT, mostly because those are easy road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Agreed, however, the biggest advantage of this change is that we get to play every team every other year. So that would still be a big upgrade over what we have now, where we play State every 6 years. My order of preference for permanent partners would be 1) UNC 2) State 3) Wake 4) GT. After that, I might go with either UVA or VT, mostly because those are easy road trips.
    Even though I prefer it for the history, I'm not sure the two smallest fanbases playing each other every year does the teams or the conference much good to be honest, although I'm sure it is tempting to just shove them off to the side together to keep them out of as many other teams' hair as possible.

I totally agree that playing State every other year would be a massive improvement over the current situation, but I still think only getting them at home only once every 4 years would be a real shame. The best crowds we've had have been for NC State and unc (and not just because their fans filled the empty spots). If you want fans to get engaged and turn out in person you've got to play games that people care about (at home) and NC State is near the top of that list.

Historically some of the Duke/State games have been great. Even in some of our worst years they were exciting. It’s crazy we have played so few times the last several years. That game is a much bigger money maker than Wake or Ga. Tech. If we can play State and the cheats every year that is a home run. (Sorry for the mixed metaphor.)

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    It's not 2022 but David Teel is reporting that the ACC may be about to scrap divisions in football and go to 3-5-5 scheduling -- three teams you play each year with five of the others one year and the other five the following year.

Maybe I read a different source, but I thought the proposed model for others was you play five 2 years in a row (home and away so just flip the prior year's conference schedule), and then the other five the following 2 years in row. So you play every team at least 2x every 4 years, but not necessarily every other year. Either way, I think it's an upgrade over the divisional format.

Even though I prefer it for the history, I'm not sure the two smallest fanbases playing each other every year does the teams or the conference much good to be honest, although I'm sure it is tempting to just shove them off to the side together to keep them out of as many other teams' hair as possible.
    It would also be a perhaps unfair advantage to the larger schools that always got to play both.

Michigan DB Jordan Morant is transferring in to Duke. Former 4-star recruit, so the kid probably has some talent.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...g-to-duke.html

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Maybe I read a different source, but I thought the proposed model for others was you play five 2 years in a row (home and away so just flip the prior year's conference schedule), and then the other five the following 2 years in row. So you play every team at least 2x every 4 years, but not necessarily every other year. Either way, I think it's an upgrade over the divisional format.
    Good catch, makes me feel even more strongly that State needs to be a permanent partner.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Michigan DB Jordan Morant is transferring in to Duke. Former 4-star recruit, so the kid probably has some talent.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...g-to-duke.html
    I heard JFK was shot.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide