Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1030
    Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    Regardless of whether you think the remark insulting, consider this Twitter followup from Duke football alum/vocalist Lee Rodio:

So, this got me thinking. With some help from @cbgivens we figured that during Knowles tenure at Duke he had 12 exclusively defensive players that would go on to make NFL rosters compared to 3 future doctors and 2 future lawyers. Friendly #FYI
    I didn't go look up the stats but yes, this is part of why I considered it clearly belittling and insulting. He's also not teaching Torts or Gross Anatomy. He's teaching football.

2. Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The reference to "future doctors and lawyers" has been around for at least 50 years. It's a harmless description and probably better than just blurting out that Duke has few future NFLers.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Heck, Bill Futrell ran for a long TD against UNC in 1963 as a Duke med student'
    THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I didn't go look up the stats but yes, this is part of why I considered it clearly belittling and insulting. He's also not teaching Torts or Gross Anatomy. He's teaching football.
    See above. I would not take this literally or an an insult. There is nothing out there to tie Knowles to anti Duke sentiment...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The reference to "future doctors and lawyers" has been around for at least 50 years. It's a harmless description and probably better than just blurting out that Duke has few future NFLers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^

See above. I would not take this literally or an an insult. There is nothing out there to tie Knowles to anti Duke sentiment...
    Yes, you're repeating defenses of him that were already made above. I'm only replying this time because there's no such thing as an undifferentiated 50 years of Duke football being all doctors and lawyers who had no real shot at the NFL, or the CFL for that matter. That's certainly true of the winless and one-win teams that we all recall. But Knowles coached Duke defenses with some real talent; his comment, though a throwaway, was both belittling and wrong.

If the worst thing anyone says about Duke is that we recruit bright student-athletes instead of being a football mill, I guess Im okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Yes, you're repeating defenses of him that were already made above. I'm only replying this time because there's no such thing as an undifferentiated 50 years of Duke football being all doctors and lawyers who had no real shot at the NFL, or the CFL for that matter. That's certainly true of the winless and one-win teams that we all recall. But Knowles coached Duke defenses with some real talent; his comment, though a throwaway, was both belittling and wrong.
    I don't know if it was belittling, but it was certainly inaccurate.

6. Elko - I don't care what choice he was. I was impressed that Duke could land a guy with his pedigree who was already making something close to Cut's salary as a DC. Everything from the first press conference, to early recruiting results, to the 4-1 start this year, makes me feel good about the guy we got.

Knowles - sometimes a throwaway line gets microanalyzed beyond anything that was intended. I don't know the context or the tone of the comment. I do know, from reading twitter, that multiple former Duke players took offense. Some even did the math and determined that Knowles was technically incorrect - there were more players from that era that made NFL rosters than went to law/medical school. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. Knowles was a good DC here, which is why he has moved up the ladder. I have no doubt that coaching at Ohio State is different from coaching at Duke, and he may have simply been trying to make a harmless comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Elko - I don't care what choice he was. I was impressed that Duke could land a guy with his pedigree who was already making something close to Cut's salary as a DC. Everything from the first press conference, to early recruiting results, to the 4-1 start this year, makes me feel good about the guy we got.

Knowles - sometimes a throwaway line gets microanalyzed beyond anything that was intended. I don't know the context or the tone of the comment. I do know, from reading twitter, that multiple former Duke players took offense. Some even did the math and determined that Knowles was technically incorrect - there were more players from that era that made NFL rosters than went to law/medical school. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. Knowles was a good DC here, which is why he has moved up the ladder. I have no doubt that coaching at Ohio State is different from coaching at Duke, and he may have simply been trying to make a harmless comparison.
    Great point about Elko. I was getting nervous after the first few rumors and decisions by other coaches that Duke would end up with a real stretch (no thanks Jason Garrett). But then when we first started hearing about Elko I was worried it would not be high enough profile for him. This worked out great.

As for Knowles, I was curious how the players were responding. Even though I didnt find it insulting, Im more willing to see that angle if the actual players had that reaction.

8. Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    And you are repeated the complaints. it's a forum. it happens.
    I will say this...the throw away line WAS WRONG. Only belittling if that was the intent....and I don't think it was.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Elko - I don't care what choice he was. I was impressed that Duke could land a guy with his pedigree who was already making something close to Cut's salary as a DC..
    I don't believe the comments about what choice Elko was...were comments on Elko...but I agree on the other point, I do think the pedigree was an A+ hire....

Cole Finney at Harris Teeter 9th Street Durham

Massive athlete in person. Wished him luck in Atlanta.
    https://goduke.com/sports/football/r...e-finney/18061