Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Here's some outside (and upbeat) perspective on 15 Duke players likely to make an impact next season.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2...uke-prospects/
    Good to see some nice things about our guys, but listing Jordan Waters as an NFL prospect is preposterously generous...hope he proves me wrong this year.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Good to see some nice things about our guys, but listing Jordan Waters as an NFL prospect is preposterously generous...hope he proves me wrong this year.
    i am hoping he gets used properly with the new staff. he is not a inside the tackles runner. put him in space like they did in high school and he was explosive

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pigskindevil View Post
    i am hoping he gets used properly with the new staff. he is not a inside the tackles runner. put him in space like they did in high school and he was explosive
    One of you might be right, hopefully one of you is wrong.
    New coaches can certainly take a player that hasn't shown us much before in a new direction. I'm hoping this happens for more than a few guys that came in looking like really nice gets from recruiting yet didn't seem to pan out.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by pigskindevil View Post
    I'm hoping we have a team that's fit enough that we don't have to make choices about whether to use a skill player in a way that is most optimal, and having a blocking scheme that can be successfully executed

I don't expect us to go toe to toe with bama, but pitt and wake played for the ACC title last year for heaven sakes. There ain't no bama lines at either of those schoole.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    One of you might be right, hopefully one of you is wrong.
    New coaches can certainly take a player that hasn't shown us much before in a new direction. I'm hoping this happens for more than a few guys that came in looking like really nice gets from recruiting yet didn't seem to pan out.
    I would love to be wrong...I'm only noting that he has 108 career rushing yards, and at 210 lbs he should be able to run inside the tackles...I'll be there this Fall hoping to be surprised.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Cool story on WRAL's website about a Durham kid and his recruiting. He blew up over the year from one offer to several.
    A little more than a year ago, Southern Durham rising senior Jaybron Harvey picked up his first college offer. Fast forward to today, the four-star edge has nearly three dozen and is one of the most sought after prospects in North Carolina.

It's not hard to see why college coaches want Harvey on their roster. At 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, Harvey has the build of a high-level edge rusher. He's ranked the No. 24 edge in the country and No. 6 overall player in North Carolina from the Class of 2023.
    This little note stood out.

What factors will he weigh when making a decision? It's probably not shocking that academics are at the top of the list for Harvey, who says he wants to major in architectural engineering, a major that isn't offered at every school.

"I know most colleges don't have that program, so that's definitely a factor," Harvey said. "Then it's the people — how genuine they are and how they care about me. Then the third one is if the school can help me after college."
    Several schools are offering him of course, and Duke is one of them. Duke does offer architectural engineering, but it's a certificate, not a major. Still, maybe that at least helps catch his eye.
    Regardless of what school he lands with, it's always nice to see a player focused on academics.

https://www.highschoolot.com/souther...ason/20307525/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Cool story on WRAL's website about a Durham kid and his recruiting. He blew up over the year from one offer to several.

This little note stood out.

Several schools are offering him of course, and Duke is one of them. Duke does offer architectural engineering, but it's a certificate, not a major. Still, maybe that at least helps catch his eye.
    Regardless of what school he lands with, it's always nice to see a player focused on academics.

https://www.highschoolot.com/souther...ason/20307525/
    His degree would be a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. His major would be either Mechanical or Civil, but the discipline is not mentioned in the degree or on the diploma. Just like pre-med students don't get a degree in pre-med, but a BS in something like biology (or even bio-mechanical engineering, BME).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    His degree would be a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. His major would be either Mechanical or Civil, but the discipline is not mentioned in the degree or on the diploma. Just like pre-med students don't get a degree in pre-med, but a BS in something like biology (or even bio-mechanical engineering, BME).
    Wow, Duke hasn’t changed that yet? When someone asks me, I say I’m so old my diploma doesn’t distinguish between disciplines.

I suppose it depends on the school, but the degree listed on my diploma is Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering (BSChE). I've seen it detailed as such on many many resume's over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow, Duke hasn’t changed that yet? When someone asks me, I say I’m so old my diploma doesn’t distinguish between disciplines.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I suppose it depends on the school, but the degree listed on my diploma is Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering (BSChE). I've seen it detailed as such on many many resume's over the years.
    Maybe they have changed the policy. I just assumed it hadn’t. Someone with a more recent BSE than me (1976) should clarify!

9F 9F 9F

Michigan safety transfer Jordan Morant has de-committed from Duke.

https://twitter.com/jordanmorantt/st...upKAUbyYp8fUvQ

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

I guess his PR firm didn’t exactly write that. “Due to some circumstances.” Oof.

Bummer...was really looking forward to seeing what he could do.

Maybe they have changed the policy. I just assumed it hadn’t. Someone with a more recent BSE than me (1976) should clarify!
    BSE 2010. Nothing has changed in the past 10 years afaik
    April 1

That tweet has been deleted. ???
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

My BSE from Duke is as old as yours (almost), but being still somewhat connected to the school, my understanding is that BSE (bachelor of science in engineering) is still the degree that is awarded to engineering grads. There are now 5 distinct majors: Biomedical…(not biomechanical as was mentioned upthread), Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical/Computer, as well as a 6th option which is an interdisciplinary major, where the student can essentially design his/her own major. Civil and Environmental used to be the same major, and students would chose either track. There are several minors and certificates, which address disciplines for which Duke does not offer a full major.

Architectural engineering, which was also discussed upthread in the context of a recruit’s interest, is not a major at Duke, but is offered as a certificate. It is true that architectural engineering is hard to find, and usually is offered at larger engineering schools and often as a graduate degree.
    Last edited by Tooold; 06-20-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Congrats to incoming freshman WR Mehki Wall on winning Male Athlete of the Year at the HighSchoolOT honors! This is a little late since he won it on Saturday, but better late than never! He also ran track in high school.

https://www.highschoolot.com/dudley-...nors/20306903/

Congrats to incoming freshman WR Mehki Wall on winning Male Athlete of the Year at the HighSchoolOT honors! This is a little late since he won it on Saturday, but better late than never! He also ran track in high school.

https://www.highschoolot.com/dudley-...nors/20306903/
    Congratulations Mehki! We look forward to watching you at Duke for the next four years!

9F 9F 9F

Guys are putting in the work...get hyped! (Big lift featuring
    Junior DL out of Raleigh/Knightdale Aeneas Peebles)

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...45731455131648

Duke football, meet social media, social media, meet Duke football.