Page 49 of 65 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke - UNC set for 8PM on ACC Network

https://theacc.com/news/2022/10/3/ac...or-oct-15.aspx
    Well that sounds like a fun night, but I think I’ll probably be too busy fishing to come back to NC.

Duke - UNC set for 8PM on ACC Network

https://theacc.com/news/2022/10/3/ac...or-oct-15.aspx
    Whew! I'm gonna need some caffeine but that should be a great night!

Just for fun, I peaked at some bowl projections:

CBS Sports: Duke v. Oregon State in the Sun Bowl
    247Sports: Duke v. Iowa in the Pinstripe Bowl
    ESPN (they have 2 different writers making projections): Duke v. Houston in the Military Bowl, Duke v. Maryland in the Pinstripe Bowl
    Yahoo: Duke v. Purdue in the Mayo Bowl
    Athlon: Duke v. East Carolina in the Military Bowl

Bill Connelly notes that his SP+ system has Duke projected to win 7 games after a preseason expectation of 3 wins. This is notable since SP+ still has Duke 80th in the country, quite a bit lower than other metrics. I didn't want to copy and paste the article since it's paywalled, but here's the link if you have an ESPN+ subscription: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-weeks-season

It should be evident by now that coaching matters. For as many times as I've read here that its Jimmys and Joes, and that Duke would never compete in the ACC without recruiting top 25 classes, ultimately coaching matters the most. They're going to be the ones that put the players in the best position to succeed, run the drills, gameplan and scheme, etc, and they are the ones doing recruiting.

It appears that Cutcliffe recruited some solid players, good enough to win some games for Duke, but his scheming game planning and coaching just were not getting the job done. Enter Mike Elko and a new staff, new strength and conditioning, new attitudes, better results.

Its obviously not that simple, most of the Coastal has had coaching changes and the success has been less inspiring than Duke's current run. I read where a lot of UVA fans were saying Elliott is the new Mike London. VT's situation actually looks worse. Duke could still collapse and maybe only pull out 1 more win, who knows. I think this team is on the right track. Now its not to say talent doesn't matter, it definitely does, but coaching is paramount in football.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I said I'd wait until the uva game to be on board. Welp, I'm on board.
    Welcome aboard, pal!🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post

ESPN (they have 2 different writers making projections): Duke v. Houston in the Military Bowl, Duke v. Maryland in the Pinstripe Bowl
    This is now known as the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl. It is not to be confused with the Poulon Weedeater Bowl (RIP). I don't see MD getting the NYC invite 2 years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke is 62 in the updated Sagarin ratings ahead of three future opponents:

Georgia Tech - 89
    Boston College - 104
    Virginia Tech - 108
    That's nice and all that, but let's take it a step further and confirm that we're worthy of the higher rating where it counts...leaving the field with a victory. To me the most important game of the season is against Georgia Tech, as that's our next opponent (not that you don't realize that, Bob!)

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    This is now known as the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl. It is not to be confused with the Poulon Weedeater Bowl (RIP). I don't see MD getting the NYC invite 2 years in a row.
    It's still the Pinstripe Bowl, Bad Boy Mowers is the new sponsor. So the full name is Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl. (The Yankees would likely never get rid of "Pinstripe" in the name, as it is easily associated with them, and they are the host.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    It's still the Pinstripe Bowl, Bad Boy Mowers is the new sponsor. So the full name is Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl. (The Yankees would likely never get rid of "Pinstripe" in the name, as it is easily associated with them, and they are the host.)

...guran ----- dammmm -- tee you that's correct.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post

Bill Connelly notes that his SP+ system has Duke projected to win 7 games after a preseason expectation of 3 wins. This is notable since SP+ still has Duke 80th in the country, quite a bit lower than other metrics. I didn't want to copy and paste the article since it's paywalled, but here's the link if you have an ESPN+ subscription: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-weeks-season
    Duke in the Duke's Mayo Bowl sounds fun on paper, but it's a terrible time and date. Pro--it's close to home in Charlotte, Con--it's at noon on a Friday.
    If we're going to play in Charlotte, I'd rather it be for the ACC Championship.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke in the Duke's Mayo Bowl sounds fun on paper, but it's a terrible time and date. Pro--it's close to home in Charlotte, Con--it's at noon on a Friday.
    If we're going to play in Charlotte, I'd rather it be for the ACC Championship.
    I see no reason we can't be the offering on the table for the conference championship.

Kansas is #19 in the latest AP poll!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Kansas is #19 in the latest AP poll!
    That loss is totally fine by me. We played well with a chance at the end in front of a great crowd, all cheering against us. I always like to see our opponents do well, no matter the outcome of our game*. It gives us a better bearing of where we stand.

*ABC, of course.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I see no reason we can't be the offering on the table for the conference championship.
    I see one: Wake Forest

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I see one: Wake Forest
    They're in the other division though. I agree we're very likely to lose to them... but no way the Coastal Division champ is 8-0 this year anyway. I could see this being a year where the champ is a 5-3 team that wins a 3 way tiebreaker.

Duke's social media team is working overtime, putting together this awesome cinematic recap of the big win:

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...073604098?s=20

They also just posted a similar video highlighting the men's soccer team's win over #1 Wake. Amazing stuff!

That loss is totally fine by me. We played well with a chance at the end in front of a great crowd, all cheering against us. I always like to see our opponents do well, no matter the outcome of our game*. It gives us a better bearing of where we stand.

*ABC, of course.
    Agreed (on all counts). I do believe the Kansas QB is a special player but...we put very little pressure on him AND often gave his receivers huge cushions that made it awfully easy for him to get big chunks of yardage. That and some horrid positioning/tackling against KU left me thinking that was actually a pretty winnable game for us. I believe they showed a Stat on TV at one point that their QB had 236 yards on...12 completions 😬. Yikes!

With his rep for defense, I have faith that Elko can right some of those wrongs so I'm very bullish on this Duke team!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Duke's social media team is working overtime, putting together this awesome cinematic recap of the big win:

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...073604098?s=20

They also just posted a similar video highlighting the men's soccer team's win over #1 Wake. Amazing stuff!
    That was fantastic! It is hard not to love what Elko is doing with Duke football.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    That was fantastic! It is hard not to love what Elko is doing with Duke football.
    Great hire, Nina King. And maybe that young guy with the Basketball Head Coach job will work out okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Great hire, Nina King. And maybe that young guy with the Basketball Head Coach job will work out okay, too.
    I believe he was her third choice...