Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The problems with our receivers the past two years is that they could rarely get open...they got muscled by a lot of teams. This problem might take some time to fix, but maybe the new offensive scheme will help. Hope so.
    There could be an optimistic transverse of this in what was reported from Sunday. Is it possible that our DBs are doing a better job? How many times have we yelled in dismay at big plays because our corners weren't within 10' of even fighting for the ball?

As stated, it's hard to judge when we are going against ourselves, but if the receivers having a rough day is a sign of better defense, I'll take it. (And that improvement would help our offense during practice in the long run, too.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Given the highly positive talk about the new strength and conditioning coaches, let's hope this translates into positive events on the field...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The first Coaches Poll is out. Here's where the ACC sits.

#4 Clemson
    #13 NCSU
    #16 Pitt
    #17 Miami
    #19 Wake Forest

Cheaters have 34 votes and Florida State has 1.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The one vote for Free Shoes University probably did not come from The Ole Ball Coach. (Don’t know if he gets a vote - added for the nitpickers.)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There could be an optimistic transverse of this in what was reported from Sunday. Is it possible that our DBs are doing a better job? How many times have we yelled in dismay at big plays because our corners weren't within 10' of even fighting for the ball?

As stated, it's hard to judge when we are going against ourselves, but if the receivers having a rough day is a sign of better defense, I'll take it. (And that improvement would help our offense during practice in the long run, too.)
    I do think we have some legit DBs. Darius Joiner is for real I know that, don't let the FCS* background give you the wrong impression.

*All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Hopefully they are a little better prepared to do some muscling around of their own after this off-season.
    As long as we don't get...

Knocked back.

The first Coaches Poll is out. Here's where the ACC sits.

#4 Clemson
    #13 NCSU
    #16 Pitt
    #17 Miami
    #19 Wake Forest

Cheaters have 34 votes and Florida State has 1.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
    Louisville with 1 also (picking that nit)

Oh by the way, there is a video out there of Aeneas Peebles absolutely manhandling some weights (from a while back but I don't think I saw it posted here). For people familiar with lifting terminology (I'm not) the comments are all some variation of "That isn't that much for a backsquat...oh nevermind" (it was some other harder lift, and he looked like he could have done twice as much* the way he threw those things around). If someone has the link handy you should post it, otherwise I'll try to share later this evening!

*Obviously not really but he made those things look light

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...45731455131648

It is a short vid but well worth the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As long as we don't get...

Knocked back.
    if our receivers get run over too often, they might...

come out flat

Our Wide Receivers

I agree -- it's hard to know sometimes as to what went wrong. Often, our WR's didn't have enough time due to poor pass protection. Also, some weren't that fast. And then they often didn't go after the ball in a smart and aggressive way, and would not make the catch. My Exhibit A: Jamison Crowder [at 5'9", 177lbs]. Man, I loved watching him play -- and still do!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Speaking of short vids worth watching…

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sp...e/10265544002/

That really was cool!! I originally heard him sing on The ACC Network when they did the hour on Duke Football last week. He definitely has skills and a great voice!

Hartman

Wake is returning one of the better QBs in the ACC, they are well coached, and have experience across the field. That ranking seems right to me.
    Their QB seems to have been there forever...This will be his fifth season playing, not sure how he got a redshirt to begin with.

If Wake fixes their defense they could be really good. If the offense isn't great, on the other hand, they can easily have a losing season with that defense.

I don't see them finishing in the top 25 this year.

Let's keep the focus on the game please.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Speaking of short vids worth watching…

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sp...e/10265544002/
    "Duke football's TikTok goes viral for offensive lineman opera performance"

I didn't think it was THAT offensive!

Mississippi State is creating an interesting new seating type, that effectively allows fans to tailgate during the game: https://hailstate.com/news/2022/6/21...m-coleman.aspx

It's pretty apparent that Duke isn't going to sell 40,000 tickets with regularity, even with a lot of freebies. I wonder if the closed end of the bowl could be re-imagined to create a new fan experience. There could be a beer garden, broad seating areas with tables/chairs, spaces for kids to roam around, etc. Meanwhile ~25,000 fans could make for a better atmosphere if concentrated along the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Mississippi State is creating an interesting new seating type, that effectively allows fans to tailgate during the game: https://hailstate.com/news/2022/6/21...m-coleman.aspx

It's pretty apparent that Duke isn't going to sell 40,000 tickets with regularity, even with a lot of freebies. I wonder if the closed end of the bowl could be re-imagined to create a new fan experience. There could be a beer garden, broad seating areas with tables/chairs, spaces for kids to roam around, etc. Meanwhile ~25,000 fans could make for a better atmosphere if concentrated along the sidelines.

Turn Wallace Wade into Chastain Park. I'd be 100% down. Might even be able to host some concerts!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    That's very cool! And very expensive.
    To hold one of the Balconies at Davis Wade Stadium, a $2,700 Bulldog Club donation is required for full-season access. Along with the donation, the purchase of at least eight season tickets is necessary with the season tickets sold at the same price as they have been in past seasons at the ends of the west side upper deck ($225 per ticket)

Turn Wallace Wade into Chastain Park. I'd be 100% down. Might even be able to host some concerts!
    I wouldn’t be opposed to rebranding the closed end of the stadium into something different but there would be major pushback from our colleague, Bob Green, plus, the infringement on our (ok, mine) favorite podcast The Section 17.

On a more serious note, best wishes to Wake Forest QB Sam Hartman, out indefinitely with a non football medical issue. Get healthy young man.

https://twitter.com/conoroneill_di/status/1557337277780688902?s=21&t=B_Np2HkXsDM0XieaKZG8QQ

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I wouldn’t be opposed to rebranding the closed end of the stadium into something different but there would be major pushback from our colleague, Bob Green, plus, the infringement on our (ok, mine) favorite podcast The Section 17.
    They could still sit in section 17...I just meant make it terraced seating and let people bring their coolers with drinks and food in (for those of you unfamiliar with Chastain), we're not changing the bowl itself under this proposal.