Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    https://twitter.com/rockyshelton18/s...712821760?s=21

Appears the Devils have experience at linebacker returning!
    Welcome home, Rocky
    Was Rocky in the transfer portal??

Welcome home, Rocky
    Fantastic news!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

He wasn’t on the team last season and if memory serves correct, he wasn’t in school

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Moot point now, but I'd still love to snow if the endowment's record breaking performance (resulting in an extra $120-$150 million per year in overall Duke spending if I calculate correctly) influenced the decision to fatten up football's budget. It could not have hurt.
    you'd have to see if the athletics subsidy increased, which it hadn't in a long while (was around 16 mil)...that doesn't mean it didn't, but the athletics and general university finances are more decoupled than most think.
    1200. DDMF.

Welcome home, Rocky
    Remind me about the "back story" on Rocky. He left the team in June. Then what happened?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Remind me about the "back story" on Rocky. He left the team in June. Then what happened?
    Don’t know the complete story Sage. Anyone closer to the program with info?
    Regardless, hope Rocky is in a good place and ready to rejoin the team.

Curious anecdote from last season

Feel free to move or remove this if inappropriate, but I am not sure what thread it'd fit better and am not sure a new thread makes sense... posting here because it's football related.

The 9th Street Journal, a Durham-focused publication sponsored by the DeWitt Wallace Center at Sanford, write about a guest presentation by the Durham Sheriff to the football team, which sounds like it had some unintended consequences.

Putting aside the debate over the substance of presentation, which was based on data that's been the subject of widespread controversy, I appreciated the look into the mindset of the team and attitudes toward the coaching staff at a critical juncture of what turned out to be Coach Cutcliffe's final season.

They name names, and multiple players spoke on record, which I found notable.

https://9thstreetjournal.org/2022/02...traffic-stops/

Don’t know the complete story Sage. Anyone closer to the program with info?
    Regardless, hope Rocky is in a good place and ready to rejoin the team.
    training montage in the deep snows of russia?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by laxdawg97 View Post
    Feel free to move or remove this if inappropriate, but I am not sure what thread it'd fit better and am not sure a new thread makes sense... posting here because it's football related.

The 9th Street Journal, a Durham-focused publication sponsored by the DeWitt Wallace Center at Sanford, write about a guest presentation by the Durham Sheriff to the football team, which sounds like it had some unintended consequences.

Putting aside the debate over the substance of presentation, which was based on data that's been the subject of widespread controversy, I appreciated the look into the mindset of the team and attitudes toward the coaching staff at a critical juncture of what turned out to be Coach Cutcliffe's final season.

Wow, great find. Definitely an ill-advised invitation by Duke. I've always had respect for Cutcliffe the man (as opposed to the football coach) but his reaction to his players' dismay was really not good at all. Glad we've moved on.

that's a big oof. Even if it was an honest attempt to foster real conversation with the sheriff...the response when it didn't go so well? oof.
    1200. DDMF.

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm surprised that we just now hearing about this fiasco that happened last October. Says a lot about how out of touch Durham law enforcement and our former coaching staff were/are. Damn!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I'm surprised that we just now hearing about this fiasco that happened last October. Says a lot about how out of touch Durham law enforcement and our former coaching staff were/are. Damn!
    durham police likely would have been a better choice than the sheriff, I think...but regardless, even if the intent WAS to have a productive conversation, the response the next day...oof.
    1200. DDMF.

Wow, that is infuriating. Makes me feel a lot less bad about letting Cutcliffe go. He has many fine qualities, but this is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Wow, that is infuriating. Makes me feel a lot less bad about letting Cutcliffe go. He has many fine qualities, but this is inexcusable.
    you can be a good man, and also not be in touch enough with changing times to be coaching young people.
    1200. DDMF.

From the same series of articles: "The presentation we shared in mid-October 2021" https://9thstreetjournal.org/2022/02...-presentation/

I don't gamble, money or pastry, but is there any chance that Monday 10/11 (right after GT) was the date of that presentation?

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    From the same series of articles: "The presentation we shared in mid-October 2021" https://9thstreetjournal.org/2022/02...-presentation/

I don't gamble, money or pastry, but is there any chance that Monday 10/11 (right after GT) was the date of that presentation?
    18th

I agree with other posters that this definitely shows distance between the staff and players. Not what you want to see.

I respect Coach Cut for trying to start these conversations. Current culture makes it just about impossible, it seems. This example is a sad but unsurprising microcosm of how difficult it is to have these conversations. I would imagine even a perfect presentation would be met with major resistance given current societal discourse and feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by jjredickrules View Post
    I agree with other posters that this definitely shows distance between the staff and players. Not what you want to see.

I respect Coach Cut for trying to start these conversations. Current culture makes it just about impossible, it seems. This example is a sad but unsurprising microcosm of how difficult it is to have these conversations. I would imagine even a perfect presentation would be met with major resistance given current societal discourse and feelings.
    I can believe that the intent was good, to try to foster some sort of dialogue, but the execution of the idea was horrible in almost every way. Start with the fact that it’s on the players day off during the season. During the season, you don’t have a lot of free time as a player. Almost every minute of almost every day is booked with some sort of activity, weather classes, practice, film session, practice, studying, or whatever. Even if this idea was executed perfectly, it should have been in the off-season when there’s a little more time for things outside of football in school.

So it started off on the wrong foot even before it got started, and then it just went horribly wrong from there. Cuts complete misread of the thoughts and concerns of his players is telling. Sure, one would hope that everyone would be respectful of anyone doing a presentation and there’s probably room to give that message to the team, but the overwhelming message should have been an acknowledgment and an apology that the presentation and conversation were not at all what the intent was. Not surprising that the team lost some fight after that incident and performed so poorly the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    I can believe that the intent was good, to try to foster some sort of dialogue, but the execution of the idea was horrible in almost every way. Start with the fact that it’s on the players day off during the season. During the season, you don’t have a lot of free time as a player. Almost every minute of almost every day is booked with some sort of activity, weather classes, practice, film session, practice, studying, or whatever. Even if this idea was executed perfectly, it should have been in the off-season when there’s a little more time for things outside of football in school.

So it started off on the wrong foot even before it got started, and then it just went horribly wrong from there. Cuts complete misread of the thoughts and concerns of his players is telling. Sure, one would hope that everyone would be respectful of anyone doing a presentation and there’s probably room to give that message to the team, but the overwhelming message should have been an acknowledgment and an apology that the presentation and conversation were not at all what the intent was. Not surprising that the team lost some fight after that incident and performed so poorly the rest of the year.
    Agree with all this. I'll add, you don't start a "conversation" with a 30 minute lecture.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    18th
    Off by a week, but I see where you're going. While you must account for the quality of the competition somewhat, before the presentation Duke was out-scored by the opposition 221-189 over 7 games...afterwards, Duke was out-scored 256-85 over 5 games.

This might be the new dictionary example for "losing the team".