Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

College Football Playoff 2022

It’s set: Ga v the The, Michigan v TCU

(Rest of the non-Duke bowl games here)

-jk

Hard to argue with, unless you wanted to put UM at #1, but I think we know why it laid out the way it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Hard to argue with, unless you wanted to put UM at #1, but I think we know why it laid out the way it did.
    Does it matter who's listed as one v two? They just wanted to keep Mich and the The apart in the semis.

-jk

Michigan lucked out getting TCU. Ohio State has a significantly higher level of talent. Plus, it’s not easy to beat a really good team twice, particularly a blood rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Michigan lucked out getting TCU. Ohio State has a significantly higher level of talent. Plus, it’s not easy to beat a really good team twice, particularly a blood rival.
    OSU has to get past a little team called the Georgia Bulldogs before they potentially get the rematch. And I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss TCU. I think they give Michigan all they want and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Does it matter who's listed as one v two? They just wanted to keep Mich and the The apart in the semis.

-jk
    Like I said, it's clear why they did it the way they did.

Bowl selections have always been about storylines, ticket sales, etc more than about who "deserves" what slot. Just feels super weird to me in this case.

If Duke got bumped off a seed line because it would make for a better NCAA basketball story for us to be a 2 seed instead of a 1 seed, we'd be incensed.

I know in a four team "bracket" it isn't as big a deal, but that somehow makes it weirder to manipulate the "seeds" for a particular matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    OSU has to get past a little team called the Georgia Bulldogs before they potentially get the rematch. And I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss TCU. I think they give Michigan all they want and then some.
    Both Michigan and TCU have been better in the second half of games. I expect it to be close at halftime, Michigan to create some separation and then either the talent will be too much or TCU will make a furious rally. My guess is Michigan by 14.

But is your assertion that UM was bumped to number 2? I don't think they would have gotten many, if any, votes inside the selection committee room for #1.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    But is your assertion that UM was bumped to number 2? I don't think they would have gotten many, if any, votes inside the selection committee room for #1.
    I'm saying that seeding Georgia and UM was the only piece of this puzzle that had any drama to it.

For all the weeks of handwringing, it laid out pretty simply.

Like I said, it's clear why they did it the way they did.

Bowl selections have always been about storylines, ticket sales, etc more than about who "deserves" what slot. Just feels super weird to me in this case.

If Duke got bumped off a seed line because it would make for a better NCAA basketball story for us to be a 2 seed instead of a 1 seed, we'd be incensed.

I know in a four team "bracket" it isn't as big a deal, but that somehow makes it weirder to manipulate the "seeds" for a particular matchup.
    The hoops seeding rules explicitly allow bumping a seed line up or down to avoid early conference games.

Regardless, there's a difference between 1/16 and 2/15 versus 1/4 and 2/3. Based on the current lines, Michigan has the better draw.

-jk

Check those seeds one last time:

Duke/UGA connections

I didn't realize UGA DC Will Muschamp's brother played QB at Duke:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school...g9LQ1d3mTIskL/

And UGA has Kirk Benedict, former Duke ST coach, as quality control coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hail does a quality control coach do? I inspect equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what the hail does a quality control coach do? I inspect equipment?
    I think they watch film and scout opponents way ahead of time to learn tendencies. I have no idea who came up with the name.

Dukelifer is correct, per Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_control_coach

I had never heard of it either.

I think for many years Duke football was likely overstaffed in this area as it seemed like we had people who severely controlled the amount of quality we could have.

In charge of ball in/deflation?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    In charge of ball in/deflation?

-jk
    Is that position endowed by Tom Brady?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Don’t forget Matt Luke was on Kirby’s staff at UGa for 2+ years after he left Ole Miss. Won a national Championship last year, and just left the staff this year.

And Mike Muschamp is a great guy who was a backup quarterback for Steve Sloan at Duke. He told me once he was the head clipboard holder. I believe their other brother, Pat, played at West Point, and their Dad played at Carolina.

Would love to see TCU run the table...but would not bet money that way.