Coach Hurley and 2 ASU players sanctioned by Pac-12

Coach Hurley has been suspended for 1 game and fined $20,000 by the Pac-12 for confronting officials after ASU's recent road loss at Stanford. Additionally, an ASU guard has been suspended and an ASU forward has been "publicly reprimanded" (oooooooh!)

Stanford had 41 FT attempts and ASU had 9 (!). ASU attempted only *ONE* FT in the first half and Coach Hurley got T-ed up 30 seconds into the second half after venting his spleen. It came to a head when (no surprise here) Stanford broke the tie in the closing seconds after an ASU foul on a 3-pointer sent them, yet again, to the charity stripe (hard to tell from the camera angle whether there was indeed a foul or if the shooter simply fell backward into the bench area).

After the desperation 3/4 court shot as time expired, Coach Hurley left the court at the end of the game, clearly irate. He walked in the general direction of the head official most probably cursing a blue streak. Then, in a moment of sober restraint, he turne away, never getting within arm's reach of the official and proceeded swiftly to the locker room. Perhaps he should have stayed on the court to better control his players, but he probably felt it best to cool down as the damage had been done. That's what assistant coaches are for, anyway.

It's arguable whether the sanctions imposed on Coach Hurley were excessive. Suspension for a game, fine, but why hit him in the wallet as well? Mike Brey was fined by the ACC in 2020 after criticizing the officiating in a post-game presser after a loss at FSU, so I suppose there's precedent for fining in cases like this.

IMHO, there was something amiss with the officiating in this contest. I'd like to see the Pac-12 announce that they are investigating the officials as well and imposing sanctions on them if warranted.

Linky: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...duct-officials

Seems from the stats Bobby had a reason to be mad at the referees. Hope Arizona State has his back.

Things I learned today that surprised me.

Bobby Hurley is only 50.

Picasso died in 1973. I’d have guessed a different century.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Seems from the stats Bobby had a reason to be mad at the referees. Hope Arizona State has his back.
    the school will almost never come out in support of a coach for that kind of action. they might not explicitly condemn it either, but they're not going to condone it.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the school will almost never come out in support of a coach for that kind of action. they might not explicitly condemn it either, but they're not going to condone it.
    They might be more supportive behind doors if the team weren't 6-10 overall and licking at the bottom of the conference barrel.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This has to be a frustrating season. They are 3-4 in games decided by a single possession, and have had 6 games postponed or cancelled. Their next 5 games are against the three ranked Pac-12 teams: Arizona, USC, and UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCrazie View Post
    Coach Hurley has been suspended for 1 game and fined $20,000 by the Pac-12 for confronting officials after ASU's recent road loss at Stanford. Additionally, an ASU guard has been suspended and an ASU forward has been "publicly reprimanded" (oooooooh!)
    Unrelated thought: I wonder when players will start to receive fines.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Unrelated thought: I wonder when players will start to receive fines.
    When they get paid directly by the schools, and there is a CBA in place. Before a CBA, an individual school could try to levy a fine, but the procedures would have to be explicitly laid out in the player's contract. Otherwise, it's lawyer-up time for breach, and it is still pretty fraught, even if it is in the contract. Most schools will prefer to have the insulation of a CBA and an independent oversight body.