Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Did Georgia want him as a QB?
    Pure pocket passer, definitely only a qb

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I take it you’re not familiar with Gaffney.
    We tried to schedule them last year.
    They chose a 2A or3A team. We have them scheduled this season. Until this past season they havent done much in a decade. To be honest we ruined dutch forks star running back the week before
    State i was surprised he played.

Last season to be fair Dutch fork, north western gaffney amd fort dorchester were all interchangeable.
    Kid is solid but i believes zolten Osborne is the better qb .with him being trained up in north carolina by people in cutcliffs tree i was surprised he wasnt offered.

I take it you’re not familiar with Gaffney.
    Been there, seen that.

Peachoid_6778.jpg

I remember when they first erected and painted the peachoid. The put a base coat of primer pink on it. Some said it looked like a big ol' butt.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    We tried to schedule them last year.
    They chose a 2A or3A team. We have them scheduled this season. Until this past season they havent done much in a decade. To be honest we ruined dutch forks star running back the week before
    State i was surprised he played.

Last season to be fair Dutch fork, north western gaffney amd fort dorchester were all interchangeable.
    Kid is solid but i believes zolten Osborne is the better qb .with him being trained up in north carolina by people in cutcliffs tree i was surprised he wasnt offered.
    I spoke with Cut a few years ago at a Meet the Devils event. We talked briefly about recruiting in the Low Country. It was if I shot his dog, the look on his face. He said they had experienced no results in this section of SC. I got the sense there was zero cooperation from area coaches. Anyhow, with a new sheriff in town, perhaps this administration can make inroads in getting the right kind of kids

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I spoke with Cut a few years ago at a Meet the Devils event. We talked briefly about recruiting in the Low Country. It was if I shot his dog, the look on his face. He said they had experienced no results in this section of SC. I got the sense there was zero cooperation from area coaches. Anyhow, with a new sheriff in town, perhaps this administration can make inroads in getting the right kind of kids
    Yeah we get over looked .we put pleanty in the nfl .heck my kids school put byron maxwell carlos dunlap Robert Quinn
    And john simpson out. Not to mention we are a split off from summerville whom have put quite a few nfl players out also.
    We have 3 at s.carolina 2 at georgia tech one at navy 20 scattered out at various small colleges D1 and D2 .
    We have a DE named geddis someones going to get a steal when the pick him up.
    Absolute beast .

Its quite perplexing .i watch our kids Absolutely man handle some top prospects
    Like they are middle schoolers .
    We will be young but we will be playing a few national teams next year.
    Hopefully we can get on the radar a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Been there, seen that.

Peachoid_6778.jpg

I remember when they first erected and painted the peachoid. The put a base coat of primer pink on it. Some said it looked like a big ol' butt.
    Thats what we call it .not exactly butt you get the drift.

Ummm, let's be clear, the Georgia offer came several years ago when Loftis was just a freshman in high school. The Dawgs had a different OC at that time and Loftis was quoted about 2 months ago saying he had not heard much from Georgia in a while and he was working to "see if he could get that offer renewed." I think it is more accurate to say that we beat out schools like Kentucky, West Virginia, and App State for Grayson Loftis. He appears to be about a 2.5 or 3-star recruit.

I do love the winning pedigree though. He is QB for a state champion, and that certainly counts for something!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Been there, seen that.

Peachoid_6778.jpg

I used to drive that stretch of I-85 with some frequency (lived in Atlanta, went back to Duke a lot), and always knew it as "the Big Butt". As did most who rode with me.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I used to drive that stretch of I-85 with some frequency (lived in Atlanta, went back to Duke a lot), and always knew it as "the Big Butt". As did most who rode with me.
    And it marks the halfway point between Durham and northern Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    And it marks the halfway point between Durham and northern Atlanta.
    My favorite memory of the peach is when the SAE bench was stolen (among the thieves was a guy who lived across the hall from me in FUBAR) and driven down there. SAE found out where it was after the picture of the bench at the base of the peach appeared on the front page of the Chronicle, and they had to drive down to retrieve it. Good times.

Anyway, hopefully Loftis turns out to be a good one. Good to start Elko’s first recruiting class off with a state-championship-winning QB.
    Last edited by jafarr1; 01-25-2022 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    My favorite memory of the peach is when the SAE bench was stolen (among the thieves was a guy who lived across the hall from me in FUBAR) and driven down there. SAE found out where it was after the picture of the bench at the base of the peach appeared on the front page of the Chronicle, and they had to drive down to retrieve it. Good times.

Anyway, hopefully Loftis turns out to be a good one. Good to start Elko’s first recruiting class off with a state-championship-winning QB.
    The other amazing part of that story was the "replacement" bench left on the quad, identical in all respects but about 1/50 of the real bench's size, made out of popsicle sticks I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    The other amazing part of that story was the "replacement" bench left on the quad, identical in all respects but about 1/50 of the real bench's size, made out of popsicle sticks I think.
    The Chronicle, October 14, 1991. Thank you, Duke University Libraries.

saebenchprank.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I do love the winning pedigree though. He is QB for a state champion, and that certainly counts for something!
    I'd love for him to make Duke the state champion. 9F

Heh. I had forgotten that part of the story. Thanks for the refresh.

That makes the story soooo much better!

Maybe this elite recruit decommitted from TAM to follow Elko? A guy can dream.
    https://www.si.com/college/tamu/recr...commits-aggies

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Let's dream on! He'll certainly have the opportunity to be a star for 3 or 4 years if he comes to Duke. We certainly had a string of NFL quality LB's during Cut's reign, even if injuries prevented some of them from going to the NFL (Kelby Brown, nodding in your direction).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Just spitballing, but I'd say a LB of this caliber could have been worth ~2.5 wins to Duke last year. Assumption being, you'd avoid the two bad close losses early on (CLT and GT), and keep your head in the game sufficiently to steal one of the last 6...

Assuming there is a 5* LB who can clear the academic/character bar, bidding in this new quasi-free market presumably starts in the 7-figures, but likely far less than the expense of changing out a coaching staff. Boosters of a couple middle class football programs near me have put together their own NIL funds, but my impression when I've raised this is that Duke is cool to anything that might siphon off real cash from basketball.

Anyone heard of any NIL efforts underway that would actually move the needle for football?

Just tell the guy we'll name a library for him. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Just tell the guy we'll name a library for him. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!
    THAT and $4.75 will get you a decaf latte at Starbucks