Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    IIRC Cut had a couple 4 star recruits who went out on a Saturday night, a gun was found in the car and both were dismissed from the team by 8 am the next day. I'm sure someone here will correct me on the many factual details I got wrong. I remember being both impressed (Cut meant business!) and disappointed (ummm... does he know these are 4 star recruits?).
    They were a couple of star defensive linemen. Whatever the infraction was, he wanted to give one of them a second chance (not the other one) to "just" be suspended and not dismissed from the team. But when Cut spoke to that player, the player lied to him. Cut knew the truth and the player was dismissed from the team with no chance of "resurrection". I got this first hand from Cut. Yeah, he did the right thing.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    So are we saying that all the #1 recruits Duke has gotten in basketball have also been outstanding students that met Duke's admissions criteria?
    I have no idea. All I know is I hated when Duke made the academic changes. I love Duke Football and may check out Devils Den just like I checked out Jim Sumners site and love it.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    So are we saying that all the #1 recruits Duke has gotten in basketball have also been outstanding students that met Duke's admissions criteria?
    I assume you're being sarcastic (or facetious) here? I don't know for a fact but I would bet a large sum of money that the basketball coaches (i.e., Coach K and now Coach S) get a tremendous amount of leeway from the admissions office when it comes to the admittance of the 1 or 2 or 3 elite players that Duke tries to recruit each year, in terms of traditional criteria like SAT scores, grades, extra-curriculars (excluding basketball, obviously), etc. Of course, the university may take the position that admitting a few basketball players each year with below (Duke student) averages in those criteria is not a big deal, with a freshman class of 1,600 students or so. Statistically, it would not even merit an asterisk. Plus, you could argue that the basketball players contribute more to Duke than just about any other student, in terms of revenues brought in to the university and country-wide publicity for the school.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I assume you're being sarcastic (or facetious) here? I don't know for a fact but I would bet a large sum of money that the basketball coaches (i.e., Coach K and now Coach S) get a tremendous amount of leeway from the admissions office when it comes to the admittance of the 1 or 2 or 3 elite players that Duke tries to recruit each year, in terms of traditional criteria like SAT scores, grades, extra-curriculars (excluding basketball, obviously), etc. Of course, the university may take the position that admitting a few basketball players each year with below (Duke student) averages in those criteria is not a big deal, with a freshman class of 1,600 students or so. Statistically, it would not even merit an asterisk. Plus, you could argue that the basketball players contribute more to Duke than just about any other student, in terms of revenues brought in to the university and country-wide publicity for the school.
    I’d hope that the administration hasn’t been giving basketball admissions breaks based solely on ROI but rather on the historical success of the basketball recruits in terms of making academic progress. The large majority of our basketball (and probably football) players attended high schools where hardly any non-athlete students get accepted to Duke. I’d like to think our players are bright, focused, and dutiful enough to make reasonable progress even if their baseline academics are way below that of the average Duke student.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    The large majority of our basketball (and probably football) players attended high schools where hardly any non-athlete students get accepted to Duke. I’d like to think our players are bright, focused, and dutiful enough to make reasonable progress even if their baseline academics are way below that of the average Duke student.
    I’d check the roster on the high schools attended by the basketball team. I don’t think your description is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I’d hope that the administration hasn’t been giving basketball admissions breaks based solely on ROI but rather on the historical success of the basketball recruits in terms of making academic progress. The large majority of our basketball (and probably football) players attended high schools where hardly any non-athlete students get accepted to Duke. I’d like to think our players are bright, focused, and dutiful enough to make reasonable progress even if their baseline academics are way below that of the average Duke student.
    Highest graduation rates and highest honor-roll rates among ACC schools. That speaks to your points.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    I’d check the roster on the high schools attended by the basketball team. I don’t think your description is accurate.
    yeah, it was an erroneous assertion...most kids on the roster went to solid private schools or parochial schools or decent public schools...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, it was an erroneous assertion...most kids on the roster went to solid private schools or parochial schools or decent public schools...
    Yep—my fault… I was thinking of a few specific players from the past and should have checked (or just skipped a response).

Too lazy to see if there’s a 2024 thread after digging this deep to find a football recruiting thread, and I guess this could relate to what we do with the 2023 class, but anyway: we picked up a QB yesterday who looks like a dynamic athlete, should be fun to watch.

https://247sports.com/Article/Duke-f...203595812/Amp/

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Too lazy to see if there’s a 2024 thread after digging this deep to find a football recruiting thread, and I guess this could relate to what we do with the 2023 class, but anyway: we picked up a QB yesterday who looks like a dynamic athlete, should be fun to watch.

https://247sports.com/Article/Duke-f...203595812/Amp/
    Sounds like an impressive athlete. I wonder if he'll remain a quarterback or eventually convert to another position. He's definitely a deviation from the Cutcliffe prototype 6'3" or 6'4" thick quarterback. Don't know if that's a sign that Cutcliffe's staff emphasizes different things or if he'll be destined for a different position.

Stetson Bennett, also 5-11, may have changed some minds at Duke and elsewhere. Of course, Hauss Hejny also has serious speed, which opens up other positions.

The comments in the article make it sound like they were 100% recruiting him as a QB, and he is a 3 star at that spot. His size is a concern, but he's worth a shot since if he struggles as a QB he'd still be an asset. Sounds like the kind of guy who's dangerous with the ball in his hands, regardless of how it got there.

I loved the quotes from him and how he talked about Elko and the school.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    The comments in the article make it sound like they were 100% recruiting him as a QB, and he is a 3 star at that spot. His size is a concern, but he's worth a shot since if he struggles as a QB he'd still be an asset. Sounds like the kind of guy who's dangerous with the ball in his hands, regardless of how it got there.
    Not that stars matter, as has been pointed out by others, but he is one point from being a 4 star recruit. If he were 6'3", he could very well be 4 star. Very excited in this commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Not that stars matter, as has been pointed out by others, but he is one point from being a 4 star recruit. If he were 6'3", he could very well be 4 star. Very excited in this commitment.
    I guess Hejny got too close to being a 4 star recruit. He has now de-committed. https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...65149235101696
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I guess Hejny got too close to being a 4 star recruit. He has now de-committed. https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...65149235101696
    I believe we lost another commitment a month or so ago, but during heavy BBall season didn’t pay much attention.

Ahmad Breux picked up an offer from LSU and quickly de-committed.
    Hauss Hejny, QB recruit from Texas, de-commits today.
    He either surveyed to locker room and felt his time to play wasn’t immediate, or most likely, deeper pockets will ultimately prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Ahmad Breux picked up an offer from LSU and quickly de-committed.
    Hauss Hejny, QB recruit from Texas, de-commits today.
    He either surveyed to locker room and felt his time to play wasn’t immediate, or most likely, deeper pockets will ultimately prevail.
    Hejny grew up as a TCU fan, and it became 100% clear that if he got an offer from them, his "commitment" to Duke would be tossed in the rubbish bin...tough time for those who enjoy the nuances of the English language, gotta read thru stuff like "I'm 100% committed to Duke for now." SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hejny grew up as a TCU fan, and it became 100% clear that if he got an offer from them, his "commitment" to Duke would be tossed in the rubbish bin...tough time for those who enjoy the nuances of the English language, gotta read thru stuff like "I'm 100% committed to Duke for now." SMH.
    Tough break for Elko and Co., but I suspect Duke football will survive this (and more serious tsuris) just fine.