View Poll Results: Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Syracuse this afternoon?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Williams

1 1.30%
  • Paolo Banchero

11 14.29%
  • Wendell Moore, Jr.

36 46.75%
  • AJ Griffin

24 31.17%
  • Jeremy Roach

4 5.19%
  • Joey Baker

1 1.30%
  • Theo John

0 0%
  • Bates Jones

0 0%
  • Jaylen Blakes

0 0%
  • Michael Savarino

0 0%
  • Keenan Worthington

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I voted for Moore. Great to see pre-Covid break Wendell back. Paolo is taken for granted by all of us, I think. He should touch the ball on every possession. AJ improves by the game. Mark looked great, Joey too. Go Duke!

I totally agree that Paolo is taken for granted. I was at the Wake game in Winston. Paolo was the difference maker I thought, and the player for which they had no answer. Some of his moves had the Wake fans around us speechless. And he had a great game.

When I finally had a chance to check the board after the game, I was surprised that AJ outpaced him for MOTM by about 2 to 1. Don’t get me wrong, I love AJ and what he brings to the team. And that was his first start, and he did have a great game, shot well, etc. And we definitely need him. But Paolo is the difference maker on this team, imo. Other teams simply have no answer for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I totally agree that Paolo is taken for granted. I was at the Wake game in Winston. Paolo was the difference maker I thought, and the player for which they had no answer. Some of his moves had the Wake fans around us speechless. And he had a great game.

When I finally had a chance to check the board after the game, I was surprised that AJ outpaced him for MOTM by about 2 to 1. Don’t get me wrong, I love AJ and what he brings to the team. And that was his first start, and he did have a great game, shot well, etc. And we definitely need him. But Paolo is the difference maker on this team, imo. Other teams simply have no answer for him.
    Sometimes we come to expect the greatness and it becomes the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Paolo is a team-first kind of guy who checks his ego at the door. That's very nice for Duke fans. He obviously enjoys making everybody look good.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Paolo is a team-first kind of guy who checks his ego at the door. That's very nice for Duke fans. He obviously enjoys making everybody look good.
    I agree. I would actually like seeing him take a bit more of an alpha role, after seeing our close end of game scenarios last few contests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I agree. I would actually like seeing him take a bit more of an alpha role, after seeing our close end of game scenarios last few contests.
    Totally agree. Paolo is very unselfish, much like Zion. But I hope going forward, we get the ball in his hands in close end of game situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Like Coach K not winning a Coach of the Year award
    when he deserves it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    when he deserves it.
    You beat me to it. Paolo is the best player at Duke from the moment he steps off the bus. I like to spread my vote around, however, to players who did something very special -- e.g., Wendell's nine assists.

And, it's silly to complain (not you Oz) that K doesn't get proper consideration for ACC COY when he is the most celebrated and respected person coaching hoops on Planet Earth. Like he needs another ACC COY trophy. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but it kinda does.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    when he deserves it.
    Not sure I agree.

The Coach of the Year award is typically reserved for coaches whose teams completely surpass expectations. Anthony Grant at Dayton in '19-'20 is a good example. Dayton wasn't supposed to be a top 25 team, not to mention a top 10 team. Mark Few's and John Calipari's '20-'21 and '14-'15 seasons are another good example as they finished the pre-Final Four seasons undefeated (and important to note the Naismith CoY award is given out the day before the Final Four).

Coach K last won the award in '98-'99. I think a case could have been made in '05-'06 (4 loss team but lost in the S16). Arguably '00-'01 too (Final Four team and only 4 loses, but Coach K did win the award two years prior).

But Coach K's teams are always ranked in the pre-season top 10. He'd need to go undefeated - or 1 loss at most - to gain major consideration.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not sure I agree.

The Coach of the Year award is typically reserved for coaches whose teams completely surpass expectations. Anthony Grant at Dayton in '19-'20 is a good example. Dayton wasn't supposed to be a top 25 team, not to mention a top 10 team. Mark Few's and John Calipari's '20-'21 and '14-'15 seasons are another good example as they finished the pre-Final Four seasons undefeated (and important to note the Naismith CoY award is given out the day before the Final Four).

Coach K last won the award in '98-'99. I think a case could have been made in '05-'06 (4 loss team but lost in the S16). Arguably '00-'01 too (Final Four team and only 4 loses, but Coach K did win the award two years prior).

But Coach K's teams are always ranked in the pre-season top 10. He'd need to go undefeated - or 1 loss at most - to gain major consideration.
    I believe the only criterion I have seen is "most successful," which -- appropriately -- gives a lot of room for judgment. Often, it's given to coaches who exceed expectations, but this may not always be the case.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013