View Poll Results: Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Syracuse this afternoon?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Williams

1 1.30%
  • Paolo Banchero

11 14.29%
  • Wendell Moore, Jr.

36 46.75%
  • AJ Griffin

24 31.17%
  • Jeremy Roach

4 5.19%
  • Joey Baker

1 1.30%
  • Theo John

0 0%
  • Bates Jones

0 0%
  • Jaylen Blakes

0 0%
  • Michael Savarino

0 0%
  • Keenan Worthington

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MOTM: Duke v Syracuse (Jan 22, 2022)

Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Syracuse this afternoon?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I went with AJ Griffin as he set the tone early.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Near impossible choice. I was leaning towards AJ, but Paolo just had a monster game with 13 boards to go with his 15 points.

Wendell's 8 assists to go with his 15 points was also tempting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I didn't see most of this game, but holy balanced scoring, Batman.

Moore 15, Griffin 15, Banchero 15, Williams 15, Baker 11.

Roach with 9 assists and 1 turnover. Moore added 8 and 1.

Baker hit 50% of his 3-point attempts (3-6), and Griffin did better than that (5-9).

Really easy vote for me. As good as Paolo was, Wendell's D on Buddy was stifling and completely took Syracuse out of their game plan. We didn't win this game because we bombed away from 3 -- that is what Syracuse wants you to do. We won this game because our D (and some luck) prevented Syracuse from getting or hitting the shots they wanted.

The story of the game is that Syracuse only scored 59 points.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Kind of a toss up for me.

AJ - lights out shooting early set the tone and gave us some early separation. Wendell - overall great game and his defense on Buddy was key. Paolo - overall monster game.

Honorable mention to Jeremy Roach - great assist total, plus his defense on Girard was another key.

AJ turned the ignition.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

AJ- easy choice.

AJ. Easy choice this game, even though others played very well.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    AJ. Easy choice this game, even though others played very well.
    Given the polling, don’t think it was an easy choice at all. Wendell is even leading the polling.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Syracuse offense got Wendell'd, then looked rattled. Moore started to look like his pre-COVID self.
    Good to see a laugher.

Seemed like we scored 2 points in the last 7 minutes; what's up with that? Could do better shooting half court shots.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Given the polling, don’t think it was an easy choice at all. Wendell is even leading the polling.
    I saw that! I guess I’m in the minority. I thought Wendell had a decent, solid, but not spectacular, game. AJ’s 3s really got us going.

all in all, a really good game (except as noted about in the last few minutes!). The 30+ point lead went to 20 really quickly. I think K didn’t want to embarrass Boeheim too badly.

This is how we should play EVERY game! Miami and FSU should have had similar margins.

Losing Keels temporarily helped us since his shooting has been really bad all year. It will be good to have him back in the long run, but he has to take fewer shots since he misses most of them.
    Last edited by cbarry; 01-22-2022 at 03:44 PM. Reason: misses, not missed! Darn autocorrect.

I went with Paolo. We forget that he is a freshman yet he showed great poise early in the game and then ended up with a double double.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Kind of a toss up for me.

AJ - lights out shooting early set the tone and gave us some early separation. Wendell - overall great game and his defense on Buddy was key. Paolo - overall monster game.

Honorable mention to Jeremy Roach - great assist total, plus his defense on Girard was another key.
    And this is why I voted for Jeremy, both in this poll and the main board's. He certainly stepped up in the starting roll and did exactly what was needed of him in this game - distribute the ball and tough, tough on ball defense on the perimeter. He even hit a couple of timely 3's in the second half after missing his first couple early in the game.

Jeremy Roach - MOTM!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Roach for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And this is why I voted for Jeremy, both in this poll and the main board's. He certainly stepped up in the starting roll and did exactly what was needed of him in this game - distribute the ball and tough, tough on ball defense on the perimeter. He even hit a couple of timely 3's in the second half after missing his first couple early in the game.

Jeremy Roach - MOTM!
    Why ARE there 2 different places to vote for MOTM?

The results are quite different today. In the front page one, AJ leads by a mile. In this one, he is second.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Why ARE there 2 different places to vote for MOTM?

The results are quite different today. In the front page one, AJ leads by a mile. In this one, he is second.
    The front page has a much wider audience. We're a more intimate club here.

-jk

Dell

I voted Wendell b/c the stat line was this year's vintage Dell, something we'll need to achieve the prize. This bodes well for the team. Also, this team has gotten complacent or lost drive or however one puts it for long stretches recently, and Dell's play was steady and helped Duke keep building the lead all the way out to 31.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Syracuse offense got Wendell'd, then looked rattled. Moore started to look like his pre-COVID self.
    Good to see a laugher.

Seemed like we scored 2 points in the last 7 minutes; what's up with that? Could do better shooting half court shots.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I also voted for Wendell. He looked like he's coming back to pre-COVID disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    AJ turned the ignition.
    AJ is a catalyst for making this team play better. When AJ makes a few, Duke starts winning.

I voted Paolo, but really, the significance of this game is how much of a team effort it was. AJ got us off to a great start, Wendell seemed to be back to being Wendell, Jeremy was the lockdown defender and distributor that we need him to be, and even Mark's presence in the middle to accept lobs and intimidate on drives was key. The bench made important contributions. The team defense was incredible. Great game all around.