Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plus: Someone chucked the ball at TV ted's head

Minus: it was very off target pass and lead to a turnover

Minus: Twice in the first half, Duke players simply ran out of bounds. Jesus, guys...this is your home court...know where you are! That's the kind of sloppy play a turnover prone team lately should not afford.

Plus: we beat the snot out of a coach I can't wait to see out of college basketball. As another Jim might say, "We beat their butts"
    April 1

Great win. Awesome defense and awesome offense makes me quite happy. Even the TOs didn't annoy me. 4 were from Mark trying to do a bit too much. 2 were stepping on the sideline (it happens) and a bonus TO off of TV Teddy's melon. I would have liked to see Jeremy do better from 3, but they were good shots. Loved the assists and it was great to see the return of first semester Wendell.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Plus: Someone chucked the ball at TV ted's head

Minus: it was very off target pass and lead to a turnover

Minus: Twice in the first half, Duke players simply ran out of bounds. Jesus, guys...this is your home court...know where you are! That's the kind of sloppy play a turnover prone team lately should not afford.

Plus: we beat the snot out of a coach I can't wait to see out of college basketball. As another Jim might say, "We beat their butts"
    It actually wasn't even all that far off target. Valentine was still in bounds when it hit him. Just really unlucky, and a function of how little space there is along the sidelines near the teams' benches. Also unlucky that it just missed Jim Boeheim's head, as he was also right in the way. It went from being an opportunity for an open 3 for John, to possibly being a technical foul on Boeheim, to bouncing out of bounds off of Valentine. Crazy turn of events. But I guess that is always a danger when passing along the sidelines in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Great win. Awesome defense and awesome offense makes me quite happy. Even the TOs didn't annoy me. 4 were from Mark trying to do a bit too much. 2 were stepping on the sideline (it happens) and a bonus TO off of TV Teddy's melon. I would have liked to see Jeremy do better from 3, but they were good shots. Loved the assists and it was great to see the return of first semester Wendell.
    15 To's is a lot against a team that doesn't force many, even if a few were with our deep bench players in. I would like to see us keep the TO's down against an active defensive team like Fla St.

Great game and nice to really put a team to the sword. The stats don't completely show how much we dominated because of the last few minutes.

I do want to talk about turnovers. Our 3 worst games by TO rate have come in the last 5. Interestingly, that has come as AJ Griffin has earned more minutes. AJ has the lowest TO rate on the team, with just 7 TO in 18 games*. Roach, since his demotion, has just 2 TO in 4 games. It seems like Paolo, Wendell, and Keels have all struggled with TO at times in ACC play. It could be that since AJ doesn't handle the ball as much, that it puts more pressure on those 3. It could also be the reality that we're playing better competition in conference games. I don't think this is a huge issue, but something to keep an eye on.

*AJ is a remarkably tidy player. He doesn't turn it over, doesn't take bad shots, and had made 63% of his 2s and 47% of his 3s. We could really use him being more aggressive, even if it means slightly worse shooting/TO numbers.

With yesterday's performance, Mark has now scored more points this year than he did last year. Going off his ESPN stats pretty much everything is up, both counting stats and % stats, except turnovers, which are even (0.9/game). He's definitely improved from last year, which is not a surprising statement to anyone at DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    With yesterday's performance, Mark has now scored more points this year than he did last year. Going off his ESPN stats pretty much everything is up, both counting stats and % stats, except turnovers, which are even (0.9/game). He's definitely improved from last year, which is not a surprising statement to anyone at DBR.
    But it might be surprising if you’ve been reading DBR for the past couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But it might be surprising if you’ve been reading DBR for the past couple months.
    well, statheads like you have been providing highly relevant advanced stats that people like me find very informative!

IMG_5863.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It actually wasn't even all that far off target. Valentine was still in bounds when it hit him. Just really unlucky, and a function of how little space there is along the sidelines near the teams' benches. Also unlucky that it just missed Jim Boeheim's head, as he was also right in the way. It went from being an opportunity for an open 3 for John, to possibly being a technical foul on Boeheim, to bouncing out of bounds off of Valentine. Crazy turn of events. But I guess that is always a danger when passing along the sidelines in Cameron.
    During one of the timeouts after the start of the second half, Teddie came over to the Duke huddle and they all had a good laugh. I thought it was odd at the time and snapped a quick picture of it. In retrospect, I am guessing that they were laughing about this play.

I am not a big fan, but this made me like him a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    IMG_5863.jpg

During one of the timeouts after the start of the second half, Teddie came over to the Duke huddle and they all had a good laugh. I thought it was odd at the time and snapped a quick picture of it. In retrospect, I am guessing that they were laughing about this play.

Yeah. That is a good moment. Thanks fkr sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    IMG_5863.jpg

Well, Teddy is odd. But he seemed more involved than usual: talking to players, joining the Duke huddle for a laugh, slapping players on the butt, and talking to Bucky Waters during a timeout. Nice to see Bucky get some recognition during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by fathippo View Post
    Well, Teddy is odd. But he seemed more involved than usual: talking to players, joining the Duke huddle for a laugh, slapping players on the butt, and talking to Bucky Waters during a timeout. Nice to see Bucky get some recognition during the game.
    If I saw correctly, he also swatted K on the butt after discussing the non-interference play.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    [Mark’s] definitely improved from last year, which is not a surprising statement to anyone at DBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Expectations for Williams this season were surely strongly influenced by (1) his remarkable performance in last season’s final game, against UL in the ACCT, (2) Krzyzewski’s equally remarkable comment that Williams had improved more over the season than any other player K had coached, and (3) the good-bad, yet again remarkable news that “Project Mark Williams” was now a 2-and-goner.

Having been dominated by UL’s Carlik Jones in 2 regular season games, Duke’s surprising revenge win was substantially the product of Mark’s dominance, 23 points, 19 rebounds. Further, Mark exhibited great hands, soft touch around the room, finger rolls. Not just dunks. Shocking, exhilarating. Where’s this guy been?

K seemed to suggest this guy was coming along much faster than fans realized, was showing the staff a lot more then we fans were seeing hints of, and inconsistently.

That single game plus K’s singular comment probably led to great over-expectations heading into 2021-22 season. “Where’s that guy who dominated UL last season?” He was himself dominated by Tshiebwe in the season opener, so much so, in fact, that Theo John played more minutes than Williams. This season, Mark has scored often on lobs, but only occasionally on delicate touches around the rim.

He’s been a very good player, great runner, dominating shot-blocker, perfect lob-ster. As DIB says, he’s definitely improved; his stats demonstrate as much, the point, I infer, of Kedsy’s gently chiding remark.

But that guy from the UL game, and K’s praise, messed with our fanatic-expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    If I saw correctly, he also swatted K on the butt after discussing the non-interference play.
    I saw that, as well. Does anyone but me think that is highly inappropriate conduct from an official? I just found it really offensive. I think officials should be good spirited, but should nevertheless maintain a respectful air about them. Slapping someone on the butt is just way too familiar. I wouldn't have liked that regardless of which team I had been coaching for.

Dee Kantner on the women's side is the epitome of that. She doesn't hesitate to smile and make humorous comments to players or share in their senses of humor and she has stayed very good-natured throughout most of the games I've seen her officiate. But she leaves no doubt that she is a professional colleague of the players and coaches, not a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I saw that, as well. Does anyone but me think that is highly inappropriate conduct from an official? I just found it really offensive. I think officials should be good spirited, but should nevertheless maintain a respectful air about them. Slapping someone on the butt is just way too familiar. I wouldn't have liked that regardless of which team I had been coaching for.

Dee Kantner on the women's side is the epitome of that. She doesn't hesitate to smile and make humorous comments to players or share in their senses of humor and she has stayed very good-natured throughout most of the games I've seen her officiate. But she leaves no doubt that she is a professional colleague of the players and coaches, not a buddy.
    Here is the magic moment queued up to the 12-minute mark in the first half. The TV feed shows the play, the replay and some of the sideline discussion, but not any inappropriate touching. Maybe it just wasn't caught on camera. https://youtu.be/9bfuMsJBh5Q?t=715

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Here is the magic moment queued up to the 12-minute mark in the first half. The TV feed shows the play, the replay and some of the sideline discussion, but not any inappropriate touching. Maybe it just wasn't caught on camera. https://youtu.be/9bfuMsJBh5Q?t=715
    The Coach K butt slap is at time stamp 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

Lighten up, Francis! I've never disliked Teddy any more than every other ref. Just like players they're always judged on the last bad play/call. Maybe Teddy and I have mellowed a bit. He doesn't try to make the other refs calls from across court much anymore, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Lighten up, Francis! I've never disliked Teddy any more than every other ref. Just like players they're always judged on the last bad play/call. Maybe Teddy and I have mellowed a bit. He doesn't try to make the other refs calls from across court much anymore, at least.
    I've alway disliked TV Teddy, but saw nothing untoward.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Expectations for Williams this season were surely strongly influenced by (1) his remarkable performance in last season’s final game, against UL in the ACCT, (2) Krzyzewski’s equally remarkable comment that Williams had improved more over the season than any other player K had coached, and (3) the good-bad, yet again remarkable news that “Project Mark Williams” was now a 2-and-goner.

Having been dominated by UL’s Carlik Jones in 2 regular season games, Duke’s surprising revenge win was substantially the product of Mark’s dominance, 23 points, 19 rebounds. Further, Mark exhibited great hands, soft touch around the room, finger rolls. Not just dunks. Shocking, exhilarating. Where’s this guy been?

K seemed to suggest this guy was coming along much faster than fans realized, was showing the staff a lot more then we fans were seeing hints of, and inconsistently.

That single game plus K’s singular comment probably led to great over-expectations heading into 2021-22 season. “Where’s that guy who dominated UL last season?” He was himself dominated by Tshiebwe in the season opener, so much so, in fact, that Theo John played more minutes than Williams. This season, Mark has scored often on lobs, but only occasionally on delicate touches around the rim.

He’s been a very good player, great runner, dominating shot-blocker, perfect lob-ster. As DIB says, he’s definitely improved; his stats demonstrate as much, the point, I infer, of Kedsy’s gently chiding remark.

But that guy from the UL game, and K’s praise, messed with our fanatic-expectations.
    Mark came to Duke as a bit of a project- and once Johnson left he got a little more playing time. He has much to work on but he has excellent hands up top and is an elite shot blocker. I think he could be a better rebounder if he did not go for blocks all the time. Williams can be a force by just doing a few things well.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Francis?!? Francis?!? Did you just call me Francis?!? OK, now I'm pissed.