RIP Louie Anderson

Just got a NY Times alert on him. Funny guy. I will always remember him for his supporting role in one of my favorite movies, Coming to America - I quote his line about making big bucks as the assistant manager all the time. Looks like he had lymphoma. Age 68. RIP.

Note that I initially misread it as Lonnie Anderson. Fortunately she is still alive at 76.

He is on my same bootleg copy of Rodney Dangerfield's Young Comedians special as Bob Saget. Have quoted his routine often.

Louie Anderson played the most aspirational fast food employee ever:

And he did work his way up, based on the recent sequel.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I loved "Life With Louie". It was a truly hilarious cartoon which flew under many folks radar.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

His portrayal of Mom Baskets was my favorite. Some emotional stuff.

I can't say that's I've ever seen or heard of this person. Such is the life of a hermit I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I can't say that's I've ever seen or heard of this person. Such is the life of a hermit I guess.
    Start here:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Louie Anderson played the most aspirational fast food employee ever:

And he did work his way up, based on the recent sequel.
    He had some good insights and quotes in the recent Netflix documentary "Movies that Made Us" about "Coming to America."

I also had no idea that Eddie Murphy and director John Landis basically hated each other for a good chunk of the filming and wouldn't even speak to each other. Landis is interviewed extensively in the documentary. And the writers of the script were basically banished from Hollywood after someone accused them of stealing his idea (the studio settled which they were angry about, because they said the guy had no case. They also were interviewed extensively). In any event, check it out if you're interested.

RIP Louie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He had some good insights and quotes in the recent Netflix documentary "Movies that Made Us" about "Coming to America."

I also had no idea that Eddie Murphy and director John Landis basically hated each other for a good chunk of the filming and wouldn't even speak to each other. Landis is interviewed extensively in the documentary. And the writers of the script were basically banished from Hollywood after someone accused them of stealing his idea (the studio settled which they were angry about, because they said the guy had no case. They also were interviewed extensively). In any event, check it out if you're interested.
    The rest of the story: famed WaPo satirist Art Buchwald circulated a script around Hollywood on an African prince coming to America. Basically, the story was stolen. These suits are very hard to win but Buchwald had loads of dough and pursued itvthrough the courts to make a point. He won.

More on Buchwald. He and two other famous Americans lived on Martha's Vineyard and all suffered from clinical depression: TV reporter Mike Wallace and William Styron (Duke grad -- author of Sophie's Choice, Lie Down in Darkness). They would constantly offer encouragement to each other -- in person and over the phone. Styron even wrote a book, Darkness Visible, on clinical depression. Maybe his best work.. Everyone should read it -- only 100 pp. or so

I had lunch with Art once.

Grew up in Queens, and attended (but didn't graduate from) Forest Hills High School.

Very cool!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

RIP Louie.
    Just watched it. Thanks for the recommendation.

The whole series is pretty good. I had seen the "Dirty Dancing" episode before. Will work my way through others that appeal to me (i.e., Jurassic Park and Forrest Gump)