Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    We can say that certainly K is a bit more subtle when he wants to be arrogant (not that he doesn't have a right to be in this case):

“We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber. I didn’t recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I’m happy with that. We didn’t look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn’t going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn’t think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They had a heck of a run, but they didn’t leave anything, they didn’t establish anything there. The guys that I had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later — the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.”

This is of course, more recent, but K was also far spicier 20-30 years ago.
    So, Coach K wins the national championship game over Michigan by 20 points and says: "We were very successful against them . . .."

Coach Calhoun wins the national championship game over Duke by 3 points and says: "We kicked their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.."

Seems like a fair reflection of their comparative sportsmanship.

We can say that certainly K is a bit more subtle when he wants to be arrogant (not that he doesn't have a right to be in this case):

“We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber. I didn’t recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I’m happy with that. We didn’t look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn’t going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn’t think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They had a heck of a run, but they didn’t leave anything, they didn’t establish anything there. The guys that I had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later — the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    So, Coach K wins the national championship game over Michigan by 20 points and says: "We were very successful against them . . .."

Coach Calhoun wins the national championship game over Duke by 3 points and says: "We kicked their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.."

Seems like a fair reflection of their comparative sportsmanship.
    Not really a fair comparison, unless you believe Coach K is a psychic and talked about Jay Williams in 1992. And if you do, then that seems like a much better story -- focus on that rather than the sportsmanship thing.

My question is: did Coach K say that about Juwan Howard before or after he played a Duke alum on TV's "The West Wing"?

Weren't we all?