Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenting Quiz 2022: how would you do?

Last edited by -jk; 01-20-2022 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add prior quiz link

Do the students get course credit for passing the quiz?

Quote Originally Posted by KBCrazie View Post
    Does anyone remember BOG and the "Buffer Zone"?
    As I have repeatedly said, it wasn’t just for BOG, but also Phi Psi. We sat in the fourth row behind the visitors’ bench every game for my four years. Tates Lock, the Clemson coach, absolutely hated my air horn! And Lefty was no fan either!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by KBCrazie View Post
    Does anyone remember BOG and the "Buffer Zone"?
    I saw 84Duke's comment above and this one, and thought I'd offer my recollection (Class of '86). There was no quiz. There weren't even line monitors (except a couple of folks who tried to keep things organized the best they could). It was first come, first served. No prerequisites. There was no scanning, you just showed your ID as you walked in. OK, maybe your brother used some girl's ID who wasn't going to the game, because they really weren't looking. No one had laptops or cell phones so you had to either do your work out in the cold or hope you could trust the folks behind you to let you back in line.

There was huge excitement the first time Coach pull up the night before the game to deliver pizzas. You wondered if the BOGgers were going to fall into the other team's huddle and cheered when they had to move folding chairs onto the court to hear each other during timeouts. We may not have known a lot of historical facts, but we knew every screw up that an opposing player made - and made sure that he knew we knew.

And let me add a caveat that I haven't been in person for a while, but we were original. Cheers were made for specific players, even during the game. I haven't heard an original cheer in years.

FWIW - I think Scott's suggestion is infinitely smarter than what they do now.

Rant over - and get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    what's the new paolo/trevor cheer? (question 44)
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I love esoteric Duke trivia more than 99.999% of the world, but this seems ridiculous. If you have access to Goduke and google, the majority of this is not hard, just really time consuming. I recognize that they need some way to create an order and not have people camping out years ahead of time, but this doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

I camped in the 90s - I remember having a number of frustrations with the process but it generally worked out for most people. I was very happy being somewhere around tent 20 - I thought the people in the first 5-10 tents were ridiculous, but I cared enough that I was willing to put in the time to get good seats.

Now get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I love esoteric Duke trivia more than 99.999% of the world, but this seems ridiculous. If you have access to Goduke and google, the majority of this is not hard, just really time consuming. I recognize that they need some way to create an order and not have people camping out years ahead of time, but this doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

I camped in the 90s - I remember having a number of frustrations with the process but it generally worked out for most people. I was very happy being somewhere around tent 20 - I thought the people in the first 5-10 tents were ridiculous, but I cared enough that I was willing to put in the time to get good seats.

Now get off my lawn.
    Yes, but they only had an hour to take the quiz, and no access to Goduke and google.

Tenting

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Thanks Jason, much appreciated!
    Can I offer an alternative view of the tenting test? My daughter is T24 and goes to every game. She waits in line and gets there early to get good seats. She works much harder to attend the BB games than I did (Pratt'90) She goes to WBB, Women and Mens soccer, on her own accord, and attended all FB including two away games. For the game against WSSU she left at halftime,.. to go to the Wake Football game in Winston-Salem. We have pictures together for the '10 and '15 Championships decked out in Duke gear.

She and her group knew the content type that was expected and did study as a group for multiple sessions. I was texting random facts that might have helped- best half for three point percentage, Coack K position in all time loss list- during the study sessions.

So these are fans who ARE dedicated, and are lifers, and are going to all the games. The problem has been people crashing the gates and "stealing" seats from the current true fans, regardless of what is thought about those fans. So this test might not be the ideal measure of dedication or fandom, but previous methods have been disrupted in other manners that were not fair to dedicated fans who spent the time camping

Yes some of the questions were not reasonable for older generations - IG follower numbers- but it resonates with this age group. Some questions were not just 'memorization' but important to true fans, for example which players had debut game with over 20 points? A problem is that some questions were based on the TV broadcast of home games when the fans were in the bleachers, not listening to Jay Bilas. (But yes we talked about PB5 7lb weight loss per game and the BOA Blast oxygenated hydration system)

No system has been ideal, but the answer to these questions are the life blood of this generation's twitter feed and represent the knowledge base of today's true fan. Yes, I would like more original chants, more spontaneity, but let's not question the dedication of the 230 groups of twelve students that signed up for 70 tent spots so they can sleep outside for the next five weeks (she planned for two months, but the start date was pushed back due to COVID), while attending every other home game that they can during their student life. They are doing what the system has evolved into and requires of them. Though it seems like arcane trivia, the test serves to distinguish between these groups

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    Can I offer an alternative view of the tenting test? My daughter is T24 and goes to every game. She waits in line and gets there early to get good seats. She works much harder to attend the BB games than I did (Pratt'90) She goes to WBB, Women and Mens soccer, on her own accord, and attended all FB including two away games. For the game against WSSU she left at halftime,.. to go to the Wake Football game in Winston-Salem. We have pictures together for the '10 and '15 Championships decked out in Duke gear.

She and her group knew the content type that was expected and did study as a group for multiple sessions. I was texting random facts that might have helped- best half for three point percentage, Coack K position in all time loss list- during the study sessions.

So these are fans who ARE dedicated, and are lifers, and are going to all the games. The problem has been people crashing the gates and "stealing" seats from the current true fans, regardless of what is thought about those fans. So this test might not be the ideal measure of dedication or fandom, but previous methods have been disrupted in other manners that were not fair to dedicated fans who spent the time camping

Yes some of the questions were not reasonable for older generations - IG follower numbers- but it resonates with this age group. Some questions were not just 'memorization' but important to true fans, for example which players had debut game with over 20 points? A problem is that some questions were based on the TV broadcast of home games when the fans were in the bleachers, not listening to Jay Bilas. (But yes we talked about PB5 7lb weight loss per game and the BOA Blast oxygenated hydration system)

No system has been ideal, but the answer to these questions are the life blood of this generation's twitter feed and represent the knowledge base of today's true fan. Yes, I would like more original chants, more spontaneity, but let's not question the dedication of the 230 groups of twelve students that signed up for 70 tent spots so they can sleep outside for the next five weeks (she planned for two months, but the start date was pushed back due to COVID), while attending every other home game that they can during their student life. They are doing what the system has evolved into and requires of them. Though it seems like arcane trivia, the test serves to distinguish between these groups
    every method for ranking the groups has issues, and regardless of what it is, duke students are going to duke student the crap out of it and try to game it as much as possible. It's either time spent studying for a quiz, time spent camping, time spent attending sporting events...if it's meritocratic, there's going to be a time component, almost axiomatically.

Also nobody tenting is "crashing the gates and stealing seats." If you tent for the game for 6 weeks, you deserve every bit of what you get. If they wanted to alleviate that, past game attendance should have a larger component. I find this sort of stratification of "true fan" for someone tenting for the UNC game a bit patronizing and counter productive.
    1200. DDMF.

My daughter’s tent passed. She was nervous but they had prepped well.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Son of -jk's group did, too! He still wants to know Theo John's dog's birthday.

-jk

My daughter's group did not pass. It was mostly a freshman group, and they had little conception that much of the focus would be social media. My daughter hasn't been as dedicated a fan this season as FUBARDB's (something about studying for classes and such), but she been a fan a lot longer than most and has attended Duke sporting events of all flavors since she was too young to remember them. She is a Duke fan through and through. She was teaching cheers to her section at Countdown to Craziness, when about half the students didn't know them.

She is quite disappointed at the kinds of questions that were asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    My daughter's group did not pass. It was mostly a freshman group, and they had little conception that much of the focus would be social media. My daughter hasn't been as dedicated a fan this season as FUBARDB's (something about studying for classes and such), but she been a fan a lot longer than most and has attended Duke sporting events of all flavors since she was too young to remember them. She is a Duke fan through and through. She was teaching cheers to her section at Countdown to Craziness, when about half the students didn't know them.

She is quite disappointed at the kinds of questions that were asked.
    yeah it's unsurprising they filled up 70 slots with the delayed start and the fact that they eliminated black tenting at some point (prior to this year, I think). Not sure I'm a HUGE fan of a quiz to be a cutoff like that...I wish it were game attendance, but then you'd have an issue where people gamify tent formation to only find people who have attended lots of games, and that's not ideal either. There's just no great way to do it with a limit to when tenting can start, but also a way to arrange to get to the right number, and the problem just gets worse the later tenting starts.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah it's unsurprising they filled up 70 slots with the delayed start and the fact that they eliminated black tenting at some point (prior to this year, I think).
    No, my daughter's group signed up for black tenting the moment registration opened. The announcement cancelling black tenting came several hours later, and no credit was given to students who had signed up for black.

Quote Originally Posted by DCDevil9194 View Post
    Yes, but they only had an hour to take the quiz, and no access to Goduke and google.
    I noticed this too and also the comment that the test is hard enough that they don't expect you to complete it in an hour.

This brings back bad memories of all of my organic chemistry tests and physical chemistry labs....and I am chemist...

Quote Originally Posted by DCDevil9194 View Post
    My bad - I skipped to the test and didn't read the instructions - maybe that is why my grades weren't so great at Duke. That makes a lot more sense to me - still don't love it but I get it more. Thanks for clarifying. How do they enforce these rules - are they put in a room and have their phones taken away? That alone would be a major display of dedication for people today.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My bad - I skipped to the test and didn't read the instructions - maybe that is why my grades weren't so great at Duke. That makes a lot more sense to me - still don't love it but I get it more. Thanks for clarifying. How do they enforce these rules - are they put in a room and have their phones taken away? That alone would be a major display of dedication for people today.
    They do the test on the court in Cameron. Phones have to be put away. Teams know generally what kind of things will be asked from past year tests. Teams that went through all of Duke Basketball Instagram, Tik-Tok, and Twitter and paid attention to all of the nuggests posted did well. Memorizing stats is important too.

My daughter's tent also passed. As a senior, she is very relieved that she will get one more opportunity in K-ville.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As I have repeatedly said, it wasn’t just for BOG, but also Phi Psi. We sat in the fourth row behind the visitors’ bench every game for my four years. Tates Lock, the Clemson coach, absolutely hated my air horn! And Lefty was no fan either!
    Hey, brother! *virtual Phi Psi handshake* I was a Phi Psi in the mid-80s and never knew we'd been involved in that way (but it sure does warm my Blue Devil heart). By then it was strictly BOG's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah it's unsurprising they filled up 70 slots with the delayed start and the fact that they eliminated black tenting at some point (prior to this year, I think). Not sure I'm a HUGE fan of a quiz to be a cutoff like that...I wish it were game attendance, but then you'd have an issue where people gamify tent formation to only find people who have attended lots of games, and that's not ideal either. There's just no great way to do it with a limit to when tenting can start, but also a way to arrange to get to the right number, and the problem just gets worse the later tenting starts.
    As always, uh_no bringing the well-reasoned take here. The real problem here is the limitation on the start date for tenting, full stop. Sadly, that’s not something that the Powers That Be will likely ever walk back.