Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    After passing on some free tickets for the game from a friend due to a life conflict, I purchased 2 of the general admission tickets on special when said conflict lifted.

My first time standing in GA. We have a 4 hour drive - not sure we can get there until 11ish - are we likely stuck in a far corner? Any pearls of wisdom for maximizing the GA experience?

Given the weather, IF the game is played, and IF you can make it there (please be safe!), I have a feeling that you will be able to stand pretty much wherever you’d like. Many (most) people likely will not make it due to snowy/icy roads in the area. Durham will have less snow than eastern parts of the state, though. But frigid temps will make travel in NC treacherous. Please be safe.

Would getting there a little hour make a meaningful difference and, if so, how much earlier? Thinking it through, I’m going to be a little tired either way.

One concern I have is turnovers - we’ve been weak with the ball when driving into the lane, and with that zone we’ll have two or three guys immediately surrounding us and trying to strip the ball away. Beating the zone requires strong drives, quick decisions and good passes and we’re not particularly good at these things. 15 TO’s against FSU and 17 against Miami were the story of those games, though they happened in very different ways.

Protect the ball, take good shots and hit at least a reasonable percentage from three and it should be a comfortable win.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’d think Jones more likely to get a cameo than Blakes. .
    Perhaps. But assuming Moore and Roach won't both play 40 minutes, Duke's options when one of them is sitting is Griffin at the 2, Baker at the 2 or Blakes. Blakes might be the best option here.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Given the weather, IF the game is played, and IF you can make it there (please be safe!), I have a feeling that you will be able to stand pretty much wherever you’d like. Many (most) people likely will not make it due to snowy/icy roads in the area. Durham will have less snow than eastern parts of the state, though. But frigid temps will make travel in NC treacherous. Please be safe.
    With a mostly full student section, you’ll almost definitely be in the corner/end of section 17. It’s the upstairs (sections 1-16) that’ll be less than full.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    One concern I have is turnovers - we’ve been weak with the ball when driving into the lane, and with that zone we’ll have two or three guys immediately surrounding us and trying to strip the ball away. Beating the zone requires strong drives, quick decisions and good passes and we’re not particularly good at these things. 15 TO’s against FSU and 17 against Miami were the story of those games, though they happened in very different ways.
    While it's true that we turned the ball over way too much in our two conference losses, it may be worth noting that for the season, Duke is top 10 (tied for 9th) in the country in lowest (best) turnover rate. Whether it makes more sense to look at our full season performance or two particular games I'll leave to others to opine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Perhaps. But assuming Moore and Roach won't both play 40 minutes, Duke's options when one of them is sitting is Griffin at the 2, Baker at the 2 or Blakes. Blakes might be the best option here.
    Our discussion here assumes, I think, that Keels won't play. Ok. I agree that Moore and Roach won’t both play 40 minutes, though I wouldn’t be surprised if each played 34-35.

I’ll guess all the starters get 32+ minutes, save, probably, Williams. One or both of Roach and Moore will be on the floor at all times as the nominal PG, and both will be on the floor the vast majority of minutes. Just occasionally, yes, Griffin would be the nominal 2, guarding BB. But on O, there will be 3-4 perimeter players, including an initiator (Roach or Moore or both) and shooters. I don’t see Blakes just now as either an effective initiator or shooter.

Blakes would maybe — maybe — be a better defender against Girardi, but I doubt 2 of Roach, Moore, and Griffin will be on the bench at the same time at any point in the game. (Duke foul trouble and Duke blowout excluded.)

I don’t see either Baker or Blakes as a logical option at the 2 on D. I expect Roach to guard Girardi and Moore to guard BB the vast majority of minutes. For a few minutes, when Roach or Moore is out, Griffin would guard BB. On O, effectively there will be no 2-3-4 for Duke, only several interchangeable shooters.

I’ll repeat the obvious: Baker and Cameo Jones won’t likely be on the floor at the same time. Whenever either of them plays, K would be depending on their perimeter O and hoping either can guard J Boeheim or Swider for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Our discussion here assumes, I think, that Keels won't play. Ok. I agree that Moore and Roach won’t both play 40 minutes, though I wouldn’t be surprised if each played 34-35.

I’ll guess all the starters get 32+ minutes, save, probably, Williams. One or both of Roach and Moore will be on the floor at all times as the nominal PG, and both will be on the floor the vast majority of minutes. Just occasionally, yes, Griffin would be the nominal 2, guarding BB. But on O, there will be 3-4 perimeter players, including an initiator (Roach or Moore or both) and shooters. I don’t see Blakes just now as either an effective initiator or shooter.

Blakes would maybe — maybe — be a better defender against Girardi, but I doubt 2 of Roach, Moore, and Griffin will be on the bench at the same time at any point in the game. (Duke foul trouble and Duke blowout excluded.)

I don’t see either Baker or Blakes as a logical option at the 2 on D. I expect Roach to guard Girardi and Moore to guard BB the vast majority of minutes. For a few minutes, when Roach or Moore is out, Griffin would guard BB. On O, effectively there will be no 2-3-4 for Duke, only several interchangeable shooters.

I’ll repeat the obvious: Baker and Cameo Jones won’t likely be on the floor at the same time. Whenever either of them plays, K would be depending on their perimeter O and hoping either can guard J Boeheim or Swider for a few minutes.
    I don’t feel as good about this game.

I look at RECENt scores. Who cares that FSU lost to South Carolina in November? That didn’t help us. FSU Is improving. So is Syracuse I fear. They whomped on Clemson. Barely lost at FSU. Lost by one AT Miami - that’s impressive. Beat on Pitt. Those recent losses are more impressive than the wins in a way.

Today’s lines

Duke -11.5 vs Syracuse

Boston College +6 vs Virginia Tech

Miami, FL -2.5 vs Florida State

Louisville -2.5 vs Notre Dame

NCSU -1.5 vs UVa

Clemson -9 vs Pitt

Wake Forest -1.5 vs UNC-CH

EDIT: Mods feel free to delete as I posted this in the This Week in the ACC thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post

I look at RECENt scores. Who cares that FSU lost to South Carolina in November? That didn’t help us. FSU Is improving. So is Syracuse I fear. They whomped on Clemson. Barely lost at FSU. Lost by one AT Miami - that’s impressive. Beat on Pitt. Those recent losses are more impressive than the wins in a way.
    Yes- Cuse is always a tough game because teams don’t face the zone much and Cuse can shoot the ball from deep. This will be a close game. Duke lost a key player who can generate turnovers. Cuse has experienced players. Duke will need to be focused to win.

DBR Chat is open!

If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Gofurman was responding to my post, which wasn’t intended as a feelgood prediction we’d have little trouble with ‘Cuse. I was arguing, instead, for a Jones cameo over a Blakes cameo. And in so doing, expanding to comment on possible O and D alignments.

I don’t feel good about calling Girard “Girardi.”

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Wojo hits the charity free throw!

Is Mark not starting? Per MBB social media, it’s Theo? Is Mark hurt?

Roach starting for Keels.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Is Mark not starting? Per MBB social media, it’s Theo? Is Mark hurt?
    No, Williams is starting.

Keels on bench in uniform or street clothes? Can’t tell

Good start for the good guys.

Off to a pretty solid start. Most impressed with the perimeter defense. Clearly the game plan is to limit their three-point scoring. So far it is working well. Roach is being very aggressive on D.