Page 6 of 582 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I like SOARE. Clever... thanks for the tip.

Still like the TERNS (I use STERN) + CLAIM combo posted upthread, although I usually form my second word based off the info gleaned after playing my first word.
    ORATE is another good one if you want to get 3 vowels off the board with your first guess.

And I agree - my second guess often utilizes a bit of learning from the first guess. Today I got 3 of the letters out of my first guess, all out of order. My second guess went entirely with different letters, and gave me a fourth letter. Which basically eliminated all the other possible words, so I got it on try #3.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Early on read a starting word I've used that's legal - SOARE.
    I am curious why that is considered legal by wordle. Online M-W doesn't have it, the only reference I've found is in the Collins English dictionary:
    soare
    in British English
    (sɔː)
    NOUN
    obsolete
    a young hawk

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I am curious why that is considered legal by wordle. Online M-W doesn't have it, the only reference I've found is in the Collins English dictionary:
    That brings up an interesting point. It seems that the website everyone is using is based in the UK. At some point, are most of us Yanks going to miss because the answer is an unfamiliar British term or has a peculiar British spelling? For example, I suspect that the word 'craic' is more familiar among Brits than Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    That brings up an interesting point. It seems that the website everyone is using is based in the UK. At some point, are most of us Yanks going to miss because the answer is an unfamiliar British term or has a peculiar British spelling? For example, I suspect that the word 'craic' is more familiar among Brits than Americans.
    So far, it's actually worked the other way. I don't remember the exact details, but a week or two ago, the word was FAVOR. Great quantities of English underwear were reported to be twisted up since the word is supposed to be FAVOUR. The locals were not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    So far, it's actually worked the other way. I don't remember the exact details, but a week or two ago, the word was FAVOR. Great quantities of English underwear were reported to be twisted up since the word is supposed to be FAVOUR. The locals were not happy.
    I really wish Ben Franklin had been successful in his attempts to simplify the English languages. Watching my kids actually learn how to spell has been eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I really wish Ben Franklin had been successful in his attempts to simplify the English languages. Watching my kids actually learn how to spell has been eye opening.
    Yes, his "reformed mode of spelling" was quite interesting...very hard for me to decipher now that I know actual English (see example below). At least, he succeeded with Daniel Webster in getting rid of silly "u's" in spellings. Interestingly, I have a book about teaching kids to read and it makes some "adjustments" to letters to make it more phonetic, including a new symbol or two for sounds that don't exist with a single letter. Not too different that Franklin in its goal, but the execution is much different and it's much closer to how we do things.
    https://archive.org/details/politica...p?view=theater
    Reformed Mode of Spelling.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    This really doesn’t answer the “why” part but for those who don’t know, Wordle publishes downloadable lists of all acceptable guess words and and all possible solution words. (They aren’t the same.)

On a related note I did consider “soare” at one point. I created an Excel spreadsheet of their possible solution words. From that I created frequency distributions for letter use overall and by position (1st letter, 2nd letter…, 5th letter). Using that info I noticed the SOARE letter combination as a great initial guess but skipped over it because I assumed it wasn’t a word.

(Thinking back I’m pretty certain I HAD seen someone else mentioning SOARE before but forgot about it until just now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes, his "reformed mode of spelling" was quite interesting...very hard for me to decipher now that I know actual English (see example below). At least, he succeeded with Daniel Webster in getting rid of silly "u's" in spellings. Interestingly, I have a book about teaching kids to read and it makes some "adjustments" to letters to make it more phonetic, including a new symbol or two for sounds that don't exist with a single letter. Not too different that Franklin in its goal, but the execution is much different and it's much closer to how we do things.
    https://archive.org/details/politica...p?view=theater
    Reformed Mode of Spelling.jpg
    I looked at a bit of that document - an amazing amount of work! How the hell did Franklin get so much done in one lifetime? It's just crazy the breadth and depth, not to mention brilliance, of his life's work.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ORATE is another good one if you want to get 3 vowels off the board with your first guess.

And I agree - my second guess often utilizes a bit of learning from the first guess. Today I got 3 of the letters out of my first guess, all out of order. My second guess went entirely with different letters, and gave me a fourth letter. Which basically eliminated all the other possible words, so I got it on try #3.
    I'm surprised at this strategy. Don't you want a shot at getting the correct answer on guess #2?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I'm surprised at this strategy. Don't you want a shot at getting the correct answer on guess #2?
    After having back to back days of getting it on the 4th and 5th guess, I was probably a bit gun-shy and wanted to get back to getting it right on the 3rd try again .

If I get back to getting it on the third try repeatedly (and if I get 3-4 of the letters on the 1st guess again), I'll probably start going for it on guess #2.

Still like the TERNS (I use STERN) + CLAIM combo posted upthread, although I usually form my second word based off the info gleaned after playing my first word.
    That was me. I don't enter CLAIM unless TERNS (now RENTS) gets me nowhere. I played one (not Wordle, but on this site) where RENTS, CLAIM, and BOUGH got me a total of one yellow letter, but I still solved it on the fourth guess:

hellowordl01.jpg

I have a feeling that if Wordle ever does the word PUPPY, it would break so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    That was me. I don't enter CLAIM unless TERNS (now RENTS) gets me nowhere. I played one (not Wordle, but on this site) where RENTS, CLAIM, and BOUGH got me a total of one yellow letter, but I still solved it on the fourth guess:

hellowordl01.jpg

I have a feeling that if Wordle ever does the word PUPPY, it would break so many people.
    That was a bold approach to go with "PUPPY" instead of "PUFFY" or "PUDDY" or "FUZZY" to get that extra letter in your guess. But it worked out for you!

Today was my second try. Yesterday I finally managed to get the word on the sixth attempt. Today was much easier, and I got it on the third try. Thinking about the methodology overnight following my first experience, I decided to use the word "TEARS" as my opening "bid," since it incorporates some of the most commonly used letters. It would have been fruitless yesterday, of course; but today it facilitated a quick solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Today was my second try. Yesterday I finally managed to get the word on the sixth attempt. Today was much easier, and I got it on the third try. Thinking about the methodology overnight following my first experience, I decided to use the word "TEARS" as my opening "bid," since it incorporates some of the most commonly used letters. It would have been fruitless yesterday, of course; but today it facilitated a quick solution.
    It’s only my second try as well. I went with VOICE… didn’t help much but I got it 3rd try as well
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Wordle 221 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
    ⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Wordle 221 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
    ⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Very similar - by eliminating a lot of letters in round ls 1 and 2 I then took my time and guessed well in the third round.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Very similar - by eliminating a lot of letters in round ls 1 and 2 I then took my time and guessed well in the third round.
    I got down to 3 possibilities for my 3rd guess (I had the last 3 letters in place). But I guessed the wrong one on the 3rd and 4th tries, so I got it on the 5th.

Four again, just can't quite make it to three

Wordle 221 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

third try

Wordle 221 3/6*

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 221 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
    🟩🟨🟨🟨⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I think I play differently from most. I'm not really trying to optimize guesses, and I intentionally start with a different word each time I play (or at least a different word than I've used in recent memory). I mostly just think of it as a throwaway puzzle that's going to take me no more than five minutes. I'm happy with a quick four guesses.