Page 5 of 568 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Today's was tough. Took me five tries also.
    I played hard mode and didn't get it until the last guess. Unfortunately, my first guess left me with two correct, wrong position, which really narrows what you can eliminate as you make guesses.

Hard mode and once I had

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    After an embarrassing goose-egg on yesterday's puzzle, I gave today's a lot more thought and managed to get it in 4 tries, after completely whiffing on the first. And that is something I like about this game: you can get a significant amount of information even on a complete whiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Hard mode and once I had

Spoiler!
    I also got it in 4 tries, but had to deduce a lot after the third guess:

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    i also got it in 4 tries, but had to deduce a lot after the third guess:

Spoiler!
    5... and I was sure that guess number four was correct!
    Spoiler!
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

The ones with duplicate letters are giving me fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    5... and I was sure that guess number four was correct!
    Spoiler!
    I took the same exact path this week. First time I took a 5 (I've had a 4, a 5, and four 3s so far in my young Wordle career).

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Agree. That’s the rule I was hinting at above. I don’t like it. But I’m not paying so who cares what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agree. That’s the rule I was hinting at above. I don’t like it. But I’m not paying so who cares what I think.
    Yeah, your opinion won’t amount to a hillock of beans.

With my standard approach this word was destined to be difficult. I got 0 letters on 1st guess, 1 letter on 2nd, 3 on 3rd but still none in correct position. Got it on 4th try but only after thinking and writing out combos for over a half hour.

I think today I made some “vowel usage” mistakes in my guess words. Had 1 vowel in 1st guess word, 2 in 2nd and then an uncommon vowel in 3rd guess. Missed on all 4, so going into fourth attempt there were still two possible vowels left. Worse they were both a) common b) commonly paired, both as xy and yx, and c) one often appears doubled (xx). That left a lot of word combos - still could be words with x only, y only, xy, yx, and xx.

tldr vers: Probably better to pick guess words so that on difficult days you will have eliminated at least 4 of the most common vowels before you reach your 4th word attempt.*

*Not sure about this as a rule though - narrowing consonants is great too. I know if I do an internet search I can find the best Wordle strategies but it is more fun trying to figure it out on my own.

I got it in three tries, and starting with STERN only mildly helpful. But once again knowing what didn’t work was helpful for second guess. Second guess got me three of five.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I got it in three tries, and starting with STERN only mildly helpful. But once again knowing what didn’t work was helpful for second guess. Second guess got me three of five.
    I have pretty much settled on STERN to start things off. Got today's (01/25) in three guesses. Pretty happy with that.

I got it in three today using my typical starter, which is ALIEN. I made a fortunate second choice to eliminate enough that I was left with only one plausible combination.

I’m 15/15 so far playing in the hard mode. I’m sure there will come a time that I miss but right now I’m playing for least amount of tries. I’ve succeeded in 2 tries twice and 3 tries six times.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Wordle Woman feels your pain.

wordlewoman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah, your opinion won’t amount to a hillock of beans.
    Hopefully you knoll* I was joking w/ that hillock comment.

*Don't hate the spoiler, that word was SO yesterday.

Well rats! That one took me four tries. I just can't quite finish one off in three. And looking at where I was after two tries, I had a decent chance to get it on the third. Just picked the wrong word. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Well rats! That one took me four tries. I just can't quite finish one off in three. And looking at where I was after two tries, I had a decent chance to get it on the third. Just picked the wrong word. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.
    Ditto! Truly thought I had it on three. Nope! Forgot about that word.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hopefully you knoll* I was joking w/ that hillock comment.

*Don't hate the spoiler, that word was SO yesterday.
    All good - I know you're good people! Particularly with a good pun...

My wife was having the same brain block as me yesterday and finally let me give her a hint about using a letter twice. That still didn't help her so I said JFK, waited a few minutes, then said Dallas, then finally said grassy and she got it.

Today I had more patience then yesterday and had some good luck on my first and moreso my second guess - I had two letters in the right place and the third was right but in the wrong spot but it was obvious where it belonged, so I worked through all of the options until I got it in three.

I think talking about how you did on Wordle is soon going to become like telling people how your fantasy football team did.

Late to the party

Have been doing it for a week or so. Early on read a starting word I've used that's legal - SOARE. 3 common vowels and two common consonants. I usually get it in 3 or 4 moves, got a 5 once.

Got it today in 3.

https://twitter.com/infodoq/status/1485950623489138690

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Have been doing it for a week or so. Early on read a starting word I've used that's legal - SOARE. 3 common vowels and two common consonants. I usually get it in 3 or 4 moves, got a 5 once.

Got it today in 3.

https://twitter.com/infodoq/status/1485950623489138690
    I like SOARE. Clever... thanks for the tip.

Still like the TERNS (I use STERN) + CLAIM combo posted upthread, although I usually form my second word based off the info gleaned after playing my first word.