Page 2 of 568 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast
    Does anyone else start with the same word every day? I use one with common letters that allows me both to begin arranging and begin eliminating pretty quickly and easily.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Does anyone else start with the same word every day? I use one with common letters that allows me both to begin arranging and begin eliminating pretty quickly and easily.
    My wife starts with adieu every time.

They haven't blocked it from my work computer, yet, so just tried it. Fifth try. Not too bad for first time.

It's like Mastermind, but with letters instead of colored pegs. Can the makers of Mastermind claim a stake in this?

rstlne isn't a word...

I just tried it. Got it right in 3 tries. It helps if you have computer programming skills and can load up a dictionary and start running regular expressions against that to narrow down your choices...or is that cheating?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    rstlne isn't a word...

I just tried it. Got it right in 3 tries. It helps if you have computer programming skills and can load up a dictionary and start running regular expressions against that to narrow down your choices...or is that cheating?
    Um . . kind of defeats the purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They haven't blocked it from my work computer, yet, so just tried it. Fifth try. Not too bad for first time.

It's like Mastermind, but with letters instead of colored pegs. Can the makers of Mastermind claim a stake in this?
    Very much like Mastermind.

Also, even more like a board game from the 1970s.

Jotto!

57-Selchow-Righter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Very much like Mastermind.

Also, even more like a board game from the 1970s.

Jotto!

57-Selchow-Righter.jpg
    I have never seen that, and I thought we had every board game from the 60s-70s.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    rstlne isn't a word...

It is no more cheating than Googling "What's the answer to today's Wordle". I have streak of 25 correct answers on my first "guess"!

Jopking aside, I have only played a couple times so far. It wasn't until reading this thread that I realized that I have been playing "hard mode" without knowing it. Part of the fun for me is trying to come up with plausible words that

a) include the correct letters from previous guesses,
    b) omit incorrect letters I have already used, and
    c) contain as many remaining "common" letters as possible.

To each his own, but it seems like it would be less interesting to always start with the same two words and then working from there.

My approach also tends to result in frequent messages that the word I typed is "not in word list". One of these days I am going to find that one of my invented words is actually a real word!

I start with STERN. ADIEU is great.

SpellTower is a great app (iOS for sure). Tetris-like in that you have to find words/knock out letters before the rows reach the top. Has built-in difficulty adders in that some letters require words of different lengths.

I have only played the last three days. Each time, I used TEAMS. Those letters seemed to work well.

A few days ago my 9 year old son asked me to use PARTY (I think it was the only 5 letter word he could think of on the spot. haha). Anyway, if you played a few days ago you know that PARTY would have been a wonderful first guess and I would have no doubt have gotten it on the second try. I used TEAMS and it took 3 tries. Maybe I should listen to my kid more.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I have only played the last three days. Each time, I used TEAMS. Those letters seemed to work well.

A few days ago my 9 year old son asked me to use PARTY (I think it was the only 5 letter word he could think of on the spot. haha). Anyway, if you played a few days ago you know that PARTY would have been a wonderful first guess and I would have no doubt have gotten it on the second try. I used TEAMS and it took 3 tries. Maybe I should listen to my kid more.
    I like some of these first word suggestions - I have used RANGE but like these other ideas like TEAMS, STERN and ADIEU better. That's funny about PARTY - I know which one you mean and it was tough because of some odd letters.

Apparently you can use the same letter twice in the same word, which adds a degree of difficulty.

I've been starting with STARE. Usually at least one of the A or E is a relevant vowel, and then if they're not, then I've narrowed things down to the much less common vowels. Same with the consonants...at least one of R, S, and T is almost always in there somewhere, and if they're not, it quickly gets me into the elimination stage of the game.

I started with READS today.

I can see how ADIEU would work for the vowels, but would put you behind for the consonants.

Just played for the first time today. I started with "SMART" as my first guess, and got the correct word on the 3rd guess. My second guess used none of the same letters as the first word.

I can see how it is addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

There was a Word MasterMind variant back in the day. Wordle is awfully similar, but from my one attempt to play, I noticed one difference. With MasterMind codes, the "feedback" the code-maker provides is not position-specific; I assume this is the case for Word MasterMind too. For Wordle, feedback is specific to each letter guessed and its position.

So if you guess WATER and the word is WRECK, the first position W will be noted as being [correct letter + correct space]. In MasterMind you would only know that one letter of your guess is in the correct space. You wouldn't know which one. [You'd also know 2 other letters are correctly part of the word, but in the wrong spots].

I've been starting with STARE. Usually at least one of the A or E is a relevant vowel, and then if they're not, then I've narrowed things down to the much less common vowels. Same with the consonants...at least one of R, S, and T is almost always in there somewhere, and if they're not, it quickly gets me into the elimination stage of the game.
    Yeah, I had decided that "STARE" was gonna be the start word for me next time, for similar reasons (two common vowels, 3 common consonants).

Maybe this is a sign of a short attention span, but I choose a different starting word every day just because. Today I randomly went with BOAST. It was a fortuitous choice.

I'm late to the party and have only been playing for a few days, but I've been using LEAST. My wife and I have a debate of whether it better to identify more vowels with a word like ADIEU or more consonants with STARE/LEAST/STARK etc. Probably depends on how your individual brain fills in gaps best. Fun game!

According to a poster on slashdot, if you start with LATHE, DROPS, and CUMIN, you cover the 15 most-used letters of the alphabet.

Wheel of Fortune faces a similar issue whereby if (for just some puzzles?) they didn't spot the player the letters R S T L N E, those are what most would guess most of the time, based on letter frequencies.

source: https://tech.slashdot.org/comments.p...9&cid=62141637

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, I'm not trying to start a fist fight here. It's an online word game.

I'm saying that if it doesn't bother your strategy, but it's counter to the usual strategy and is called "hard mode" then maybe you are an outlier.

Calm down, it wasn't meant as a personal attack. If anything, you are likely better at this game if the "hard mode" doesn't give you different results.

Sheesh, people are testy here after a loss. Was just trying to bring up some fun fluff for people to discuss.

Edit: to be fair, my first reply to your comment was to explain how my method was different than yours.
    As an example of why this game is so easy (even in hard mode)...today's wordle:

Spoiler!