Page 4 of 568 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    3rd try this morning. Getting better!
    Me too. I'm now two for two on getting it on the third try in my two ever attempts. Today, I used TEARS and CLOUD as guesses, which only gave me two letters (and both of them out of order). But it eliminated enough other letters for me to have a more reasonable pool of words to guess from.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Me too. I'm now two for two on getting it on the third try in my two ever attempts. Today, I used TEARS and CLOUD as guesses, which only gave me two letters (and both of them out of order). But it eliminated enough other letters for me to have a more reasonable pool of words to guess from.
    Pretty much what I did. I think I used READS then TROUT. Not sure why I used T twice, but it eliminated enough to figure it out.

Today's word was a self-descriptor as it took me 5 attempts to solve. My third attempt was pathetic, but I did learn a lesson in my second-ever game (I was a lot prouder yesterday with my maiden 3-attempt solution).

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Today's word was a self-descriptor as it took me 5 attempts to solve. My third attempt was pathetic, but I did learn a lesson in my second-ever game (I was a lot prouder yesterday with my maiden 3-attempt solution).
    It took me 6/6 today, but I got it! I had 4 letters in the correct spot on the third try.

LOL. Same with me - I had just used the word to describe someone else as well. I should have gotten it in 4 but rather than mentally iterating through the possibilities I lost patience and made a dumb guess that I knew wasn't right just to narrow it down further.

I got 3 today after going 0fer on my first guess (but perhaps getting nothing is sometimes good...).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I got 3 today after going 0fer on my first guess (but perhaps getting nothing is sometimes good...).
    That's my method.

OK, now I'm hooked. Thanks for posting the link -- I think

Today was my second game and I solved it in four tries starting from TAPES. I don't think I'd recommend that start - at least for today's word.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    OK, now I'm hooked. Thanks for posting the link -- I think

Today was my second game and I solved it in four tries starting from TAPES. I don't think I'd recommend that start - at least for today's word.
    I used NERDS for my start...I thought it appropriate.

Tomorrow I will use DORKS followed by DWEEB

I always start with AROSE and CLINT.

That gets you all of the vowels save for U (and sometimes Y) and also R, S, T, and L. From there you usually have a good shot at figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I used NERDS for my start...I thought it appropriate.

Tomorrow I will use DORKS followed by DWEEB

It's kind of like listening to people tell you their blow by blow Covid experience. Or recounting a dream they had the night before.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    3rd try this morning. Getting better!
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Hey fellow members of the “3rd try on Jan 21” club! Or maybe the solution should be the name of our club?

Today's puzzle was tough. Wife and I both took five tries. Will discuss later when others have attempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Today's puzzle was tough. Wife and I both took five tries. Will discuss later when others have attempted.
    I found it tough too; five tries for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I found it tough too; five tries for me as well.
    Yes! After getting yesterday's on the second try, it took my five today.

Agree. Very tricky. There is a strategy to this one that I don’t like that has been used before.

After an embarrassing goose-egg on yesterday's puzzle, I gave today's a lot more thought and managed to get it in 4 tries, after completely whiffing on the first. And that is something I like about this game: you can get a significant amount of information even on a complete whiff.

After an embarrassing goose-egg on yesterday's puzzle, I gave today's a lot more thought and managed to get it in 4 tries, after completely whiffing on the first. And that is something I like about this game: you can get a significant amount of information even on a complete whiff.
    I whiffed on my first two tries this morning. Very frustrating. And it still took me three more tried to get it.

That's my strategy. You get two whiffs, you learn a LOT.

Today's was tough. Took me five tries also.