Page 3 of 568 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    As an example of why this game is so easy (even in hard mode)...today's wordle:

Spoiler!
    Today I think was an odd anomaly. As I mentioned above, the key was knowing you could use the same letter twice. I don't know how much time the game owner invests in choosing words - there is some variance in terms of daily difficulty.

Also, I think that one or two is basically lucky, three is really good, four is above average, and five is about average. So no one is building you any monuments for getting it in four.

Long story short - don't yuck our yum.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Today I think was an odd anomaly. As I mentioned above, the key was knowing you could use the same letter twice. I don't know how much time the game owner invests in choosing words - there is some variance in terms of daily difficulty.

Also, I think that one or two is basically lucky, three is really good, four is above average, and five is about average. So no one is building you any monuments for getting it in four.

Long story short - don't yuck our yum.
    Why is it an anomaly? Repeat letters are very common in Wordle. I have seen the statistic, and don't remember exactly, but I think about 1/3 of the wordles have repeat letters. And why would I want a monument for being able to complete an incredibly easy puzzle? I'm making the opposite point. My point is that even in "hard mode", and not playing particularly well or thoughtfully, it's easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Um . . kind of defeats the purpose?
    Never a bad time to practice your regex.

I enjoy playing it daily, but loathe hearing about it constantly. I’ve muted it on Twitter and am getting pretty tired of people sharing their results with me.

I had never heard of this game before today, but tried it before reading your spoiler. I guess I played it as if it were in hard mode already, and I made a lucky first guess to get the full answer in three. Seems like a good way to start a day. Simple, not to taxing, and done quickly with no chance for addiction. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I enjoy playing it daily, but loathe hearing about it constantly. I’ve muted it on Twitter and am getting pretty tired of people sharing their results with me.
    I guess I was late to the game. I'm 10-0.

Wordle is way too easy. Maybe that’s part of its appeal to many, but I don’t really enjoy a game where success rate is 100% with little effort.
    That's why I am somewhat obsessed with cryptic crosswords. If you like hard word puzzles and you don't already do these, you should look into them.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Spoiler!
    It’s easy if your goal is 4. I always aim for 3 and fail about half of the time right now in regular mode.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    That's why I am somewhat obsessed with cryptic crosswords. If you like hard word puzzles and you don't already do these, you should look into them.
    Or you can do a regular crossword and only do the Across clues. My SIL's dad does them that way.

Game is fun. I didn't get how it worked until I lost my first round. Will be ready for round two!
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Oof. Cryptics are tough!

Timely thread for me. I also discovered Wordle about 10 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Does anyone else start with the same word every day?
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I start with STERN.
    Using Wheel of Fortune logic, I did the same thing, until I decided TERNS was more efficient because it puts the S at the end. Now that I'm thinking about it, RENTS might be even more efficient, but I'm not sure.

I have default choices for the second guess as well. If TERNS comes up empty, then CLAIM. (If both are empty, then a third guess of BOUGH.) If just the T is yellow, PLAIT. If just the E and R are yellow, COMER. And so on.

I don't play in the Hard Mode setting, but I do make a personal rule to only enter words that meet all previous criteria. It's the rare exceptions -- you just can't find a word to even guess in a reasonable period of time -- where you want the flexibility to intentionally break the criteria just to eliminate possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The limited accessibility of this is really smart. You can't binge and burn out.
    On that particular site, sure, but...

It's easier to develop the above guessing habits when you play more than once a day.

Didn't know there was a Wordle "hard mode" but have only been playing a couple of weeks. My immediate strategy has been to build on what I know, rather than eliminating letters. I typically use RATES to start and it hasn't failed me yet. Cryptic crosswords are also great fun, though it takes a bit to get into the tricks/quirks of the puzzle maker. I grew up doing the crosswords Frank Lewis set in The Nation, a job he had for many decades, with my dad. Lewis was a WW2 Bletchley Park code breaker and there was some controversy after he passed: while Nation subscribers were able to vote for his replacement, I think the magazine has since dropped the weekly puzzle. My UK relatives love the Sunday Guardian crossword and compete intensely each week. A few black sheep prefer the Telegraph...

Adjacent comment:

Being stuck in the middle seat between two sweaty, ample bodied mouth breathers on a a flight of infinite length with nothing but an equally infinite stack of American Way magazines filled with nothing but Sudoko puzzles that have been partially - and incorrectly - filled out to keep me company and a pen that is starting to lose its ink is how I expect to be punished for my sins if the good lord sees fit to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Adjacent comment:

Being stuck in the middle seat between two sweaty, ample bodied mouth breathers on a a flight of infinite length with nothing but an equally infinite stack of American Way magazines filled with nothing but Sudoko puzzles that have been partially - and incorrectly - filled out to keep me company and a pen that is starting to lose its ink is how I expect to be punished for my sins if the good lord sees fit to do so.
    I have an irrational, borderline pathological disdain for sudoku.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I have an irrational, borderline pathological disdain for sudoku.
    Same. Like I said, punished for my sins.

If I was just stuck in purgatory, it would at least be the Mensa challenge with a bunch of chicken scratch around it or the crossword with the word 'duck' written in 14 Across when it clearly should have been 'fowl'.

I just did my first two yesterday after reading this. They are indeed fun!

3rd try this morning. Getting better!

I'm more of a NYT Spelling Bee fan myself.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I'm more of a NYT Spelling Bee fan myself.
    Another good one! That one is one puzzle a day, but you can easily obsess over the one puzzle for hours.