Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keels?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Elton Brand, Christian Laettner, and Rodney Hood are three Duke alum who tore their Achilles and then returned to play NBA ball. They were all shadows of their former selves upon returning. Elton came the closest to returning to being the player he had been, but was still greatly reduced.
    I'm just hoping that Trevor's injury is not too severe.
    Yup. Unless I'm forgetting someone obvious, the only player I've really ever heard of who suffered a torn achilles and came back from it to anywhere close to the same level of performance as he had pre-injury has been Kevin Durant. It's a terrible injury for an athlete to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yup. Unless I'm forgetting someone obvious, the only player I've really ever heard of who suffered a torn achilles and came back from it to anywhere close to the same level of performance as he had pre-injury has been Kevin Durant. It's a terrible injury for an athlete to suffer.
    Do we have any reason to believe that Keels actually suffered it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Do we have any reason to believe that Keels actually suffered it?
    Nope. In fact, we have every reason to believe that he did not, based on how we saw him moving with our own eyes.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The evidence is actually starting to mount that recovery is possible now. Cam Akers tore his Achilles within the last year, but he is back as the RB for the Rams. It's still a scary injury, but I think that - much like UCL injuries used to be career-enders for pitchers - we're starting to see science catch up to Achilles tears.

That said, there doesn't seem to be any reason for concern (yet) about Keels' Achilles.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The evidence is actually starting to mount that recovery is possible now. Cam Akers tore his Achilles within the last year, but he is back as the RB for the Rams. It's still a scary injury, but I think that - much like UCL injuries used to be career-enders for pitchers - we're starting to see science catch up to Achilles tears.

That said, there doesn't seem to be any reason for concern (yet) about Keels' Achilles.
    And inevitably, we would see the wordplay about "a Keels-y" injury. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Didn't our man, Waino come back pretty quickly from his Achilles tear? Don't remember if he could walk or not right after the injury. If it's an Achilles tear Trevor won't be taking the court anymore this season.

GoDuke!
    Yep, Waino tore his Achilles in 2015 and I think he missed a year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yep, Waino tore his Achilles in 2015 and I think he missed a year.
    jv (and the UVa posters) "our" or "we" should refer to Duke teams or players. Waino?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    jv (and the UVa posters) "our" or "we" should refer to Duke teams or players. Waino?
    Adam Wainwright - a pitcher for the Cardinals.

Didn’t Daniel Jones have an Achilles injury? Or am I having a senior moment?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Didn’t Daniel Jones have an Achilles injury? Or am I having a senior moment?
    Thomas Sirk did.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Thomas Sirk did.
    Wasn’t my first (or last) senior moment of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Wasn’t my first (or last) senior moment of the day.
    You weren’t far off. Jones initially got the starting gig because of Sirk’s Achilles injury.

I'm hearing that Keels injury is not too serious. Still too early to know but there is a chance he will play against Syracuse.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm hearing that Keels injury is not too serious. Still too early to know but there is a chance he will play against Syracuse.
    Linky mclink link?

Or are these special Jason Evans connections
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Calf injuries are generally similar to other soft tissue injuries - pulls, strains, etc. But again, Keels was holding his calf, and given the amount of strain placed on the leg when you bend it like he did (think of standing and holding your foot to stretch your quads... you can feel a pull on a tendon from your knee to ankle), I think that's likely where the injury is. One of these:

That's a pretty weird injury for basketball IMO, and more of one you might see in baseball (during slides), football or soccer. You don't generally bend like he did during the normal course of a basketball game. If it was a severe injury, recovery time looks like 8-12 weeks, according to this:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anter...upture-5075451

But again, not a doctor. Just a guess based on the way he bent.
    One smallish nitpick: the picture you're showing and the recovery time in the link isn't the calf, it's the front of the lower leg (hence "anterior" tibialis, anterior meaning front). The main muscles of the calf are the gastrocnemius and soleus.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Linky mclink link?

Or are these special Jason Evans connections
    This may be where he got it, not that we know where this guy got his info.
    https://twitter.com/dukebetter/statu...358287360?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    One smallish nitpick: the picture you're showing and the recovery time in the link isn't the calf, it's the front of the lower leg (hence "anterior" tibialis, anterior meaning front). The main muscles of the calf are the gastrocnemius and soleus.
    Yea I was saying that I didn’t think based on how he bent his leg and where he was holding it after was the calf, but the muscles/ligaments along the shin.

Wow as a group we have a touch of the ol’ anxiety about injuries, huh?

This photo shows Keels grabbing his right shin area. Let's hope its only a contusion or strain of the calf or shin area.

keels1.jpg
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 01-19-2022 at 08:16 PM.

That is amazing news! Even if he ends up not playing this weekend, just the fact that the injury is minor and nothing long term is a huge sigh of relief, as this team really doesn't have the depth to sustain an extended absence from any of our top six guys.

First Keels has that mysterious shoulder injury where he took himself out of the game but then was fine for the next one. Now this. If he escapes a train wreck unscathed, I'm going to start looking out for Bruce Willis in a security poncho and Samuel L Jackson using a wheelchair.