Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keels?

Keels?

Are we thinking he is ok? That is my main concern.. I will trade losses to get Keels back

They showed him lightly jogging in the hallway just before he came back to the bench in his warmups, I guess he tested it out and decided he couldn’t go. That’s already a lot better than it looked when the injury first happened and I was fearing the worst. Agree that we don’t want him to try to come back too soon, let him heal up completely.

K said it seemed to be a calf injury in the post-game interview, not something structural in the knee or ankle, which is a very good thing. I am sure they will know more tomorrow once the docs back at Duke have a look at him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    K said it seemed to be a calf injury in the post-game interview, not something structural in the knee or ankle, which is a very good thing. I am sure they will know more tomorrow once the docs back at Duke have a look at him.
    Thank you. Please keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Really relieved it’s not a knee or high ankle sprain, but a calf injury isn’t exactly source for comfort depending on the type of calf injury he suffered.

It’s not unusual to be able to walk normally and even hop around lightly after even a grade 2 calf injury, but if he strained it significantly (the pain he was experiencing wasn’t encouraging), it could be 3-4 weeks easily.

I won’t play doctor or speculate, but I’m *really* crossing my fingers that the news is good after they check it out and it’s a mild strain that means missing just a few games.

I am glad Trevor doesn’t have any torn knee ligaments or a sprained ankle/high ankle sprain/broken ankle. Still, calf injuries not only are painful, they can linger. If he plays Saturday vs Syracuse, I will be surprised. He was in some kind of pain when he went down. Thank God he walked back to the bench but let’s see the severity of it in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I am glad Trevor doesn’t have any torn knee ligaments or a sprained ankle/high ankle sprain/broken ankle. Still, calf injuries not only are painful, they can linger. If he plays Saturday vs Syracuse, I will be surprised. He was in some kind of pain when he went down. Thank God he walked back to the bench but let’s see the severity of it in the coming days.
    I like that Coach K is with the players when they are down (on the court). He had his hand on Trevor's chest for quite a bit when he was in pain. It must be reassuring at the minimum.

The way that his leg bent back under him and his considerable amount of pain made me concerned he had broken his tibia/fibia. Or even an achilles injury. Glad that it wasn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    The way that his leg bent back under him and his considerable amount of pain made me concerned he had broken his tibia/fibia. Or even an achilles injury. Glad that it wasn't either.
    Yeah, the bend in his leg was ugly, and I was sure he blew out his knee. I've never been happier to be wrong. I still wonder if he comes back anytime soon. Like all of us, I'm hoping for the best.

Could still be just about anything.
    Won't know more by until MRI interpreted. Glad Duke has first class musculoskeletal radiologists and orthopedic surgeons.

When it happened, it looked his lower shin/upper ankle got bent under his own weight badly. Fingers crossed for a clean MRI

Doctor question

a) Can you walk with a torn achilles?

b) What is a severe calf injury? And how long would someone be out of action for a severe calf injury?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

b) What is a severe calf injury? And how long would someone be out of action for a severe calf injury?
    Not a Dr., but I had a partial tear of my Achilles Tendon. I could barely walk and it took a long time to recover from. Based on Trevor's testing of it in the tunnel and my personal experience I'd guess he did not tear an Achilles. It's pretty debilitating partially or fully torn.

My friend from graduate school blew his Achilles out while playing pick up basketball at age 32. He is a hunter so he shoots lots of firearms. He described his Achilles blowing out like being shot in the back of the foot from point blank range with a 12 gauge shotgun. He couldn’t walk for quite some time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My friend from graduate school blew his Achilles out while playing pick up basketball at age 32. He is a hunter so he shoots lots of firearms. He described his Achilles blowing out like being shot in the back of the foot from point blank range with a 12 gauge shotgun. He couldn’t walk for quite some time.
    I hope he didn't also have that experience to compare it to!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

* Not a doctor, but have an interest in sports medicine driven by my advancing age and own injury experiences

Remember Kevin Durant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1DBvuhrv0Y

He was able to walk a bit on it. But Keels was able to jog. And I don't think I've seen Achilles injuries happen by rolling up on your leg. The way Keels went down and where he was holding after (his shin) suggested it wasn't achilles or even ankle, unless it was a high ankle sprain.

Calf injuries are generally similar to other soft tissue injuries - pulls, strains, etc. But again, Keels was holding his calf, and given the amount of strain placed on the leg when you bend it like he did (think of standing and holding your foot to stretch your quads... you can feel a pull on a tendon from your knee to ankle), I think that's likely where the injury is. One of these:

That's a pretty weird injury for basketball IMO, and more of one you might see in baseball (during slides), football or soccer. You don't generally bend like he did during the normal course of a basketball game. If it was a severe injury, recovery time looks like 8-12 weeks, according to this:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anter...upture-5075451

But again, not a doctor. Just a guess based on the way he bent.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    * Not a doctor, but have an interest in sports medicine driven by my advancing age and own injury experiences

Remember Kevin Durant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1DBvuhrv0Y

He was able to walk a bit on it. But Keels was able to jog. And I don't think I've seen Achilles injuries happen by rolling up on your leg. The way Keels went down and where he was holding after (his shin) suggested it wasn't achilles or even ankle, unless it was a high ankle sprain.

Calf injuries are generally similar to other soft tissue injuries - pulls, strains, etc. But again, Keels was holding his calf, and given the amount of strain placed on the leg when you bend it like he did (think of standing and holding your foot to stretch your quads... you can feel a pull on a tendon from your knee to ankle), I think that's likely where the injury is. One of these:

That's a pretty weird injury for basketball IMO, and more of one you might see in baseball (during slides), football or soccer. You don't generally bend like he did during the normal course of a basketball game. If it was a severe injury, recovery time looks like 8-12 weeks, according to this:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anter...upture-5075451

But again, not a doctor. Just a guess based on the way he bent.
    Interesting. Thanks for the take.

8-12 isn't good (obviously). Let's hope it's more mild than that...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

sounds like we're going down the rabbit hole in this one, given the lack of info...

Didn't our man, Waino come back pretty quickly from his Achilles tear? Don't remember if he could walk or not right after the injury. If it's an Achilles tear Trevor won't be taking the court anymore this season.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Didn't our man, Waino come back pretty quickly from his Achilles tear? Don't remember if he could walk or not right after the injury. If it's an Achilles tear Trevor won't be taking the court anymore this season.

GoDuke!
    Elton Brand, Christian Laettner, and Rodney Hood are three Duke alum who tore their Achilles and then returned to play NBA ball. They were all shadows of their former selves upon returning. Elton came the closest to returning to being the player he had been, but was still greatly reduced.
    I'm just hoping that Trevor's injury is not too severe.