Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Great coaching move to go to the zone. We had the momentum.

Was not a fan of Roach’s late floater attempt or his late foul, but the loss is not on Roach, of course.

Thought Wendell’s shot was going in to give me an early (by about 20 minutes) birthday gift.

Proud the team was able to hang close and force OT a man down. Bodes well for March.

That should have been a charge, but I wish we’d just made them take the tough shot.

From the Bagley year forward, we have not gone to our best player at the end in most of our losses. I mean, we used Zion as a decoy running out of the play on RJ’s last drive. We only get this talent for one year. Ride it.

I give Duke props for the recovery. However our second half was atrocious . Miracle we dug ourselves out of a hole. Glad that Trevor Keels might recover soon. We finally started rebounding on defense,but could not get a stop in OT.Moore may have been fouled on the last shot, but Duke was rarely getting any calls our way. Like to see Moore and Roach get better floor games. We need them to be better playmakers on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    When I wrote in game I stand by:

If we lose three words describe it:

Emotion
    Energy
    Toughness

FSU has kicked our butt in all three categories tonight. That’s why they have all those extra shots, and are crushing us on the boards.

Now we did come back, playing zone, and getting the ball inside a bit more. Just wasn’t enough.
    Given how many people here are praising Duke's heart in the comeback, I suspect you are in the minority in your assessment of those three words. I'd like to have you carry that message to Coach K and see how he feels about it.

Starting to think that the ACC is having a down year, so each team is gonna come out guns blazing, trying to get their signature W against our team.

It's gonna be a serious grind for the next six weeks for our team.

I usually defend K but there's some questionable decisions. Why wait so long to run zone? This happen a lot. I don't care if you feel you should run man, its a "legit" defense whatever, the goal is to win by any means. You had 1 timeout left, why not use it??? Why? We probably at least get FT's out of it

I knew eventually this team awful rebounding would bite them and it did.

Good to see keels is walking. That's huge

Yeah strange not to call a TO there after a made free throw when their D was already set up and their best d lineup subbed in.

Time to move Moore off ball more? Feels like last season all over again now that he’s playing ACC wings where his limited athleticism and lack of burst are compounding the bad decision making and resulting in a LOT of turnovers.

Unfortunate we gave them an extra FT with the lane violation near beginning of game.

I would rather get blown out then lose a game like this. 12 seconds and you carry a timeout home with you? I don't get it. K wanted PB to have it in his hands but Moore brings it up so call the timeout to force it to Paolo on a set play. K used to do that all the time, now hardly ever, and we used to joke on Roy taking timeouts home.

15 turnovers and 19 offensive rebounds for FSU is pretty much the story for me - led to them getting 18 more field goal attempts. We shot the three well and shot free throws reasonably well, just need to value the ball.

Man, that was devastating.

Overall, I'd say this team is about where I thought they'd be... if only one of the Miami/FSU games had gone our way. We are pretty unlucky to have lost both the way we did.

On the plus side, despite playing a pretty bad game in a lot of areas, we made a ton of plays down the stretch. Paolo, Dell, Mark, and AJ all made high pressure buckets late. Unfortunately, just like against Miami, we needed to make one more play.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We shot well and rebounded will in the first half, but that stretch to start the second was too much to overcome. Felt like it took us ten minutes to get our second field goal. Paolo needs to demand the ball the whole game, not just in the last five minutes. I wish he had gotten the last shot. FSU had a great game plan but despite all of that and losing Keels we did make a great close to force OT and then it could have gone either way.
    We actually rebounded poorly in the first half too. We just committed so many turnovers that FSU didn’t get an opportunity for defensive rebounds. But FSU was killing us on the glass percentage wise in the first half too.

Mills had already hit two shots in OT, including a 3, when he took and hit a pretty wide open three in the last minute. Don't understand coaches not giving team a heads up to close out on Mills. He scored 8 of FSU's 12 OT points.

Everyone praising the team is losing sight of the teams we're losing to. These teams are NIT quality. We should win them going away. This team is not close to where it needs to be in potential or performance. 20 offensive rebounds is atrocious as well as the many lackadaisical turnovers. If they don't wake up this season can turn quickly in an awful conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Mills had already hit two shots in OT, including a 3, when he took and hit a pretty wide open three in the last minute. Don't understand coaches not giving team a heads up to close out on Mills. He scored 8 of FSU's 12 OT points.
    Would need to check to be sure, but that play struck me as a case of not getting back/defending fast enough, not a tactical or coaching mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by tking View Post
    Yeah strange not to call a TO there after a made free throw when their D was already set up and their best d lineup subbed in.

Time to move Moore off ball more? Feels like last season all over again now that he’s playing ACC wings where his limited athleticism and lack of burst are compounding the bad decision making and resulting in a LOT of turnovers.
    This. All of this. Moore is a nice complementary player, but there is no way he should be taking the last shot of games. K not calling a time out and letting Moore go hero mode was coaching malpractice. Any time Moore drives into the lane bad things are going to happen.

Where was PB the first 15 minutes of the second half? And Williams needs to get tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Given how many people here are praising Duke's heart in the comeback, I suspect you are in the minority in your assessment of those three words. I'd like to have you carry that message to Coach K and see how he feels about
    If you take what K says in the post game as it's what he says in the locker room, then yea you would think that. I would be flabbergasted if the next film session isn't a bit brash behind closed doors. Regardless of effort level you cannot get out worked like that whether it's a hustle issue or an out of position issue, it has to be addressed and corrected. It's all fine to say they showed grit to come back and almost win but the reality is this team should not be in that situation. It literally took FSU having 18 more shots to win by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Two losses where Banchero doesn’t touch the ball on the last possession. I don’t understand.
    Another thing both losses have in common is that it was Banchero's guy who drove the lane to make what turned out to be the winning basket in the Miami game, and the basket that forced the overtime in this game. Driving right, shot from almost exactly the same place, in fact. It was, unfortunately, like deja vu.

I think what lost the game for us in the OT was that quick three from the left wing. AJ I guess thought that Florida St would set up its offense, but Mills had other ideas, and just caught the ball and launched it as if he was just goofing off in the gym with his buddies. No defensive pressure at all from AJ, who was about six feet away awaiting the offensive set.

The whole thing was just sad. To fight back that hard and have a real chance to win but then let it slip away....

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The 2-3 zone almost won us the game. This K guy can coach.

Was one of those games that it felt like we didn’t get a call, whether that was true or not. So fitting that it was decided at the FT line.

We knew this would be a tough game, Trevor went down, and we still had a shot at the game. Assuming Trevor isn’t down long term the team will learn and get better from this game. We’re losing wiggle room for a No. 1 seed but this team is still really darn good.
    For example, Like when when Moore got mauled at the end of regulation that should have resulted in Fts for the win? Or like the 3-4 and ones Mark should have been shooting? Or those 2 obvious out of bounds on FSU that went their way? Seminole refs really are the worst refs.

If we don’t spend the rest of the week boxing out (I’m talking about you Paulo and Wendell)…then the coaches aren’t doing their job.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The 2-3 zone almost won us the game. This K guy can coach.

Was one of those games that it felt like we didn’t get a call, whether that was true or not. So fitting that it was decided at the FT line.

We knew this would be a tough game, Trevor went down, and we still had a shot at the game. Assuming Trevor isn’t down long term the team will learn and get better from this game. We’re losing wiggle room for a No. 1 seed but this team is still really darn good.
    I think he was kinda Forced to go zone without Keels.. As a matter of fact, it killed me that after our great run at end of regulation to get ahead by 2 we went back to M2M for the last possession... just to make sure they scored. They have the athletes to beat us off the dribble - why go M2M on that possession? STAY ZONE, it was working so well

and oh man it was working again at the end of OT and we fouled... they were scrambling with no real look at a good shot and Roach created contact. man

On the other hand this game is a little scary - we shot VERY WELL and still lost. I would far rather go 1-15 from 3 point land and lose by one point. Instead we shot lights out and lost because they owned the boards AND the turnovers. Thats interesting - usually one team (bigger) wins the boards and the other (smaller) wins the turnover battle. We managed to lose BOTH. that's not a good long term trend