Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I mean, he did have a great year last year. But this year’s team has been a disappointment for sure:
    I would not call 15-7, 9-4, a 3rd place in the ACC regular season finish and a first round NCAAT loss a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I would not call 15-7, 9-4, a 3rd place in the ACC regular season finish and a first round NCAAT loss a great year.
    For VT, that is absolutely a great year. Certainly wildly far from a “stinks as a coach in the ACC” year.

For VT, that is absolutely a great year. Certainly wildly far from a “stinks as a coach in the ACC” year.
    I disagree, I still wouldn’t call that a great year. Definitely a good season. His overall body of work includes 0 NCAAT wins which will get extended this year and a sub .500 ACC record. And the ACC is garbage this year. One of the worst seasons in the last 35-40 years for the ACC likely.

I disagree, I still wouldn’t call that a great year. Definitely a good season. His overall body of work includes 0 NCAAT wins which will get extended this year and a sub .500 ACC record. And the ACC is garbage this year. One of the worst seasons in the last 35-40 years for the ACC likely.
    He is 19-21 in the ACC through 2+ seasons. Want to take a guess about what your man crush Tony Bennett’s record was in his first 3 years in the ACC? 21-27.

The league agrees with CDu. From March 8, 2021: ACC Men’s Basketball Awards Announced

Virginia Tech’s Young received 26 votes for ACC Coach of the Year to edge Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton (24 votes) and Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner (16 votes). In his second year with the Hokies, Young guided a team picked for an 11th-place finish in the preseason to a No. 3 ACC Tournament seed. It is only the second time the Hokies (15-5, 9-4 ACC) have been the No. 3 seed in the ACC Tournament (2007) and the first time they have been awarded a double bye since the tourney expanded to 15 teams in 2014.
    Good results-to-expectations ratio? Check.

He is 19-21 in the ACC through 2+ seasons. Want to take a guess about what your man crush Tony Bennett’s record was in his first 3 years in the ACC? 21-27.
    When Mike Young wins a national title, 5 ACC regular seasons, and 2 ACCTs, maybe I’ll change my mind.

The first 3 seasons of Bennett’s career at UVa, the ACC was arguably better than this year and the last two years. Believe an ACC team won the natty his first year at UVa. It definitely was better than the ACC is this season when the Hokies are near dead last in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The league agrees with CDu. From March 8, 2021: ACC Men’s Basketball Awards Announced

Good results-to-expectations ratio? Check.
    What were they picked this year?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    UNC has announced that Anthony Harris, a backup wing who gets around 12 minutes per game, will not be with the team the rest of this season.
    Kind of, which makes it even stranger. He'll still be "with the team", but he won't be playing in games. One would think that if it were academics, that wouldn't be the case.

Of course though, it's UNC, so what's strange to everyone else is likely completely normal in their eyes.

UNC announced Friday that reserve guard Anthony Harris will be "unavailable" to play for the remainder of the 2021-22 season. No specific reason was given.

Harris will continue to practice and be involved in team activities, UNC said in a release.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-gu...ason/20089852/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Seems like Florida State has woken up after some early season struggles. They are up 15 on Miami in the first half and the game is being played at Miami. At the moment, the Noles sure look like the ACC's second best team.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What were they picked this year?
    Nobody is saying they are having a good year this year.

Just that you might be a bit quick to the trigger on the "stinks as a coach in the ACC" line.

When Mike Young wins a national title, 5 ACC regular seasons, and 2 ACCTs, maybe I’ll change my mind.

The first 3 seasons of Bennett’s career at UVa, the ACC was arguably better than this year and the last two years. Believe an ACC team won the natty his first year at UVa. It definitely was better than the ACC is this season when the Hokies are near dead last in the league.
    I would hope it wouldn't take THAT degree of success to change your mind.

My point was not that he's as good or better than Bennett. My point with that comparison was that you are WAAAAAAAAY to quick to the trigger on pronouncing Young as a "stinks in the ACC" level of coach.

Seems like Florida State has woken up after some early season struggles. They are up 15 on Miami in the first half and the game is being played at Miami. At the moment, the Noles sure look like the ACC's second best team.
    A win by FSU would keep us right in the thick of things at the top of the conference, as one of five teams with two losses. They are for sure looking good.

Duke needs FSU to win this one. As I look at the current standings and group them as the Top 5 and Next 3 the breakdown of remaining games is:

Miami 2 left against top 5 / 4 against next 3
    FSU 4 / 2
    Duke 4 / 4
    ND 3 / 4
    unc 3 / 3

These are the top 5 and the remaining games include the games going on now or later today.

After today Miami has only 1 remaining game against the top 5 and that would be at home against ND.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Duke needs FSU to win this one. As I look at the current standings and group them as the Top 5 and Next 3 the breakdown of remaining games is:

Miami 2 left against top 5 / 4 against next 3
    FSU 4 / 2
    Duke 4 / 4
    ND 3 / 4
    unc 3 / 3

These are the top 5 and the remaining games include the games going on now or later today.

After today Miami has only 1 remaining game against the top 5 and that would be at home against ND.
    Crushing Miami at the moment

I would hope it wouldn't take THAT degree of success to change your mind.

My point was not that he's as good or better than Bennett. My point with that comparison was that you are WAAAAAAAAY to quick to the trigger on pronouncing Young as a "stinks in the ACC" level of coach.
    I’ll stay tuned.

They play at UNC Monday, vs Miami Wednesday, at FSU Saturday. I don’t think they win the majority of those. If they do, hats off to them.

I’ll stay tuned.

They play at UNC Monday, vs Miami Wednesday, at FSU Saturday. I don’t think they win the majority of those. If they do, hats off to them.
    I wouldn't expect them to win many (if any) of those either. But going 0-3 in those games also won't tell the final story on his ability to coach in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Crushing Miami at the moment
    A nice outcome for us if this holds. We play FSU again at home, so we control our destiny against them. Not that I expect Miami to finish with just 1 or 2 losses in the ACC. But any loss they incur at home helps our cause.

Halftime score:

FSU - 43
    Miami - 19

Here are the Noles next 5 games: @ GT, vs. VT, @ Clem, vs Wake, vs Pitt

I would expect them to be 5+ point favorites in every one of those games. Florida State is for real.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I wouldn't expect them to win many (if any) of those either. But going 0-3 in those games also won't tell the final story on his ability to coach in the ACC.
    No, but if they go 0-3 and are 2-8 overall in the ACC in the worst year for the league in recent memory, that does raise questions about him IMO.

No, but if they go 0-3 and are 2-8 overall in the ACC in the worst year for the league in recent memory, that does raise questions about him IMO.
    Not really any moreso than at 2-5 (since they should be expected to lose those next 3 games).

It is WAAAAAAAY too early to pronounce that he stinks. We are less than a calendar year from him getting Coach of the Year for crying out loud.

I don’t have a lot of feel for how good or bad he will be yet. But I think it is a knee-jerk response to be writing him off so quickly.