Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Georgia Tech beat Clayton State 103-53 today.

Clayton State is a D2 team from Morrow, Georgia. They’re 6-10 this year and compete in the Peach Belt Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    I did the same thing; my parents were at the game (when the season ticket book went up to -I think- $25 per seat, my Dad bailed on them!), and after the game my Mom said she couldn't take the excitement of another game like that, and indeed, always gave me or my brother her ticket for the remaining years my Dad bought them!
    This predated the Iron Dukes and -please correct me, Jim Sumner- just about anyone could buy season tickets during the Bubas years, without too much difficulty.
    I also remember that there was usually a freshman game before the varsity, and if we went early enough, we could scout the freshmen players for next year.
    Rarely was there TV, but Duke-UNC usually got the Jefferson Pilot game of the week.
    Thanks Music man for your reminiscences!
    I will add to your post about games in the Bubas era. At all the Carolina games I attended (Class of Mullins), there were substantial number of Tar Heel fans in the house -- it was a lot of fun. Second, students could sit in general admission in some areas behind the basket -- like, if you wanted a back to your seat. Third, no trouble getting into games, since the true fans always went to the freshman game, which started two hours before the varsity. Fourth, the cloud of smoke was something to behold -- cigs were 25 cents a pack in campus vending machines.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    I did the same thing; my parents were at the game (when the season ticket book went up to -I think- $25 per seat, my Dad bailed on them!), and after the game my Mom said she couldn't take the excitement of another game like that, and indeed, always gave me or my brother her ticket for the remaining years my Dad bought them!
    This predated the Iron Dukes and -please correct me, Jim Sumner- just about anyone could buy season tickets during the Bubas years, without too much difficulty.
    I also remember that there was usually a freshman game before the varsity, and if we went early enough, we could scout the freshmen players for next year.
    Rarely was there TV, but Duke-UNC usually got the Jefferson Pilot game of the week.
    Thanks Music man for your reminiscences!
    Regarding season tickets. I remember an article in the Charlotte Observer in the summer of 1977, when I was a student. It was talking about the excitement over Gene Banks’ commitment and the resulting optimism coming into Bill Foster’s 4th season. I distinctly remember they said that Duke had sold out their season tickets in Cameron for the first time. Although looking back, I was never sure if they meant the first time ever, or the first time since the Bubas heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I endorse Wake and everyone else running the Heels out of the gym and then storming the court.
    Every single victory of the evil empire should be celebrated with wanton abandon. I don't care if they are 30-0 or 0-30. Every single win against UNC should be celebrated because every time UNC loses, an angel gets their wings.

I remember as a sophomore in 1978 storming the CIS court after we beat Kerolina & Dean Smith.

It was joyous !
    And I'm not apologizing for it !

In 1975, when I moved to Durham, there were billboards up which stated (paraphrased):

“Want to see ACC basketball? Duke season tickets available.”

Note that it was emphasizing “ACC BASKETBALL”, not “Duke Basketball”. Of course, I bought in, since my love of Duke is one of the reasons for moving to Durham. This is why I am now grandfathered in for season tickets. I am also grandfathered in for a more important way … four precious granddaughters!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    In 1975, when I moved to Durham, there were billboards up which stated (paraphrased):

“Want to see ACC basketball? Duke season tickets available.”

Note that it was emphasizing “ACC BASKETBALL”, not “Duke Basketball”. Of course, I bought in, since my love of Duke is one of the reasons for moving to Durham. This is why I am now grandfathered in for season tickets. I am also grandfathered in for a more important way … four precious granddaughters!
    Well, 1975 was a good time to be selling ACC hoops and not Duke hoops -- unlike 1965 and 1985.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013