Uniforms - Shorter Shorts

I'm very glad to see shorter shorts now for both men's and women's uniforms. It made no sense to have shorts down to the knees with all that loose material to get in the way. Its a cleaner look and it shows more of the athlete's physique. It follows some cultural trends which may be healthier too.

The long and short of basketball uniforms
    https://www.salisburypost.com/2019/0...ball-uniforms/
    In the 1990s, the leg length grew longer to extend below the knees. The sportswear fashion designers began playing a larger role in the design of the uniforms. The culture of the period was influenced by hip-hop music and clothes of the era. Shorts became looser fitting and more brightly colored, and the concept of team unity and spirit could be emphasized through the uniforms and colors.
    The Big Shorts: An era in basketball fashion is coming to an end
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...405_story.html
    In early November, Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James declared he would wear skinnier and shorter shorts this season, his 13th in the league, because he wanted to present a more professional appearance. But while he is the highest-profile convert to the shorter short, he isn’t the first. The emerging generation of pro basketball players, one that came of age wearing tighter clothes off the floor, beat him to it.
    Back in style: Short shorts popular again
    https://digitaledition.chicagotribun...a-3e9140d44470
    Most current college players began wearing their shorts smaller in high school. Some say former Illinois and Oakland guard Kendrick Nunn started the trend at Simeon. Others point to former Cal star and current Celtics guard Jaylen Brown or former Indiana guard OG Anunoby.

There was a Jon Scheyer clip on TV recently and his shorts looked huge in comparison to today. I’m just glad that the players get to decide, which doesn’t happen in some women’s sports.

Haha. Next you'll be posting about NC States Unitards... aka wrestling uniforms for basketball players. Which of course they promptly covered with shorts.

But it was a bit of foreshadowing as to how basketball uniforms would evolve. Thanks to players like Iverson and Kobe, players started wearing sleeves, body armor, and spandex - a lot of it mostly hidden.

The NBA has banned all sorts of these things and has monitored court protocol since MJ came around in red and black shoes.

In 2006, with Kobe and others wearing long tights under their shorts, the league considered banning them but allowed a loophole for players who claimed a "medical need" for them. Players throughout the league quickly produced doctor's notes, and soon tights become entrenched as part of the NBA's standard look.

So if anything, players are just back to normal sizing things. There will be very few out there looking like Dennis Johnson from the Celtics - a physique that was quite forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Haha. Next you'll be posting about NC States Unitards... aka wrestling uniforms for basketball players. Which of course they promptly covered with shorts.

But it was a bit of foreshadowing as to how basketball uniforms would evolve. Thanks to players like Iverson and Kobe, players started wearing sleeves, body armor, and spandex - a lot of it mostly hidden.

The NBA has banned all sorts of these things and has monitored court protocol since MJ came around in red and black shoes.

In 2006, with Kobe and others wearing long tights under their shorts, the league considered banning them but allowed a loophole for players who claimed a "medical need" for them. Players throughout the league quickly produced doctor's notes, and soon tights become entrenched as part of the NBA's standard look.

So if anything, players are just back to normal sizing things. There will be very few out there looking like Dennis Johnson from the Celtics - a physique that was quite forgettable.
    the banning of the tights is kind of silly...especially since it's relatively accepted that compression can enhance muscle performance.
    1200. DDMF.

Anyone who admires really shorter men's shorts should visit Quebec in the summer time...we call them Balzacs around here, really quite stunning to get a look at them...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Anyone who admires really shorter men's shorts should visit Quebec in the summer time...we call them Balzacs around here, really quite stunning to get a look at them...

I had never heard of that before. But of course, Toronto is not fashion central. Is this a Montreal thing? I am assuming from your post that we are fortunate in Toronto to not know what that is?

So then, I find it somewhat humorous (in a juvenile sort of way...guilty as charged), that there exists Balzacs Coffee Roasters stores in Canada (none in Quebec apparently though.)
    Last edited by peloton; 01-18-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    I had never heard of that before. But of course, Toronto is not fashion central. Is this a Montreal thing? I am assuming from your post that we are fortunate in Toronto to not know what that is?
    I will emphasize first that I am truly a big admirer of Canada, and in our region French Canadians. Very nice people. But to put it bluntly, in the summer time, guys like to go around wearing what could only be referred to as ultra small, ultra tight bikini type shorts which leave absolutely nothing to the imagination...when you first see them (guys lined up at a snack bar for example) it seems like performance art, but no, it's just a fashion mode...I will admit that Balzacs is just our way of somewhat skirting the issue, but you can probably piece together the line of thinking.

The short shorts players wear nowadays are made even shorter when they roll up the waist band. Many do that now. In fact, Paulo had to tuck his shirt in at the free throw line last night and clearly rolled his waist band upward to further decrease on his shorts length.

I will emphasize first that I am truly a big admirer of Canada, and in our region French Canadians. Very nice people. But to put it bluntly, in the summer time, guys like to go around wearing what could only be referred to as ultra small, ultra tight bikini type shorts which leave absolutely nothing to the imagination...when you first see them (guys lined up at a snack bar for example) it seems like performance art, but no, it's just a fashion mode...I will admit that Balzacs is just our way of somewhat skirting the issue, but you can probably piece together the line of thinking.
    Ok - as far as I know, we do not have this in Toronto. And while my view of Quebec is very much tainted by our forced departure in 1976, what you are identifying does not do anything to enhance my view of La Belle Provence. That said, I have a very large number of partners in Montreal and I only can hope that the male partners do not partake in this activity.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Ok - as far as I know, we do not have this in Toronto. And while my view of Quebec is very much tainted by our forced departure in 1976, what you are identifying does not do anything to enhance my view of La Belle Provence. That said, I have a very large number of partners in Montreal and I only can hope that the male partners do not partake in this activity.
    ha, yes, Toronto is a different kettle of poisson altogether, but ask your Montreal Anglo partners (if you dare) and they'll know what I mean...frankly I think I'd avoid the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The short shorts players wear nowadays are made even shorter when they roll up the waist band. Many do that now. In fact, Paulo had to tuck his shirt in at the free throw line last night and clearly rolled his waist band upward to further decrease on his shorts length.
    This is incredibly tacky. They need to make the shorts the correct length so that the players are not rolling their waist bands.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

ha, yes, Toronto is a different kettle of poisson altogether, but ask your Montreal Anglo partners (if you dare) and they'll know what I mean...frankly I think I'd avoid the topic.
    Years ago, in various Northeastern States, we would see some of those "speedo" type swim suits and we assumed they were French Canadians. No American would be caught dead in one of them except in competitive swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Years ago, in various Northeastern States, we would see some of those "speedo" type swim suits and we assumed they were French Canadians. No American would be caught dead in one of them except in competitive swimming.
    yes indeed. Very prevalent in places like Old Orchard Beach, Maine and Wildwood NJ and wherever the wily French Canadian male is known to roam. It's really revelatory in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    This is incredibly tacky. They need to make the shorts the correct length so that the players are not rolling their waist bands.
    Who determines “correct length”? Should each player get to decide what length they want their shorts? I assume Duke could do something like this and maybe they already do.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    There was a Jon Scheyer clip on TV recently and his shorts looked huge in comparison to today. I’m just glad that the players get to decide, which doesn’t happen in some women’s sports.
    You're probably not someone wondering why women's volleyball ranks st highly in NIL payments.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Who determines “correct length”? Should each player get to decide what length they want their shorts? I assume Duke could do something like this and maybe they already do.
    Nike typically sizes game shorts by both waist size and inseam. Generally the way it works is that each waist size (ie 36 or 38 or 40, etc) has a standard inseam, but that standard can be lengthened (plus 2”, plus 4”, etc). So someone like Mark Williams, who probably wears the same waist size as Trevor Keels, would get the longer version. Example is here where you can see 42 waist and plus 4 length. Now I don’t know if the players get to choose their own size or if the equipment staff just hands them out, and I don’t think there are negative inseams so players who want them shorter have to roll them over once (nor does Nike offer the “Chase Jeter” one leg shorter style).
    </useless knowledge>

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You're probably not someone wondering why women's volleyball ranks st highly in NIL payments.
    I assume the comment was in reference to this https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/10514...-shorts-norway which was in the news last year.

I don't know of any sports that have high level requirements for skimpy clothing anymore, but obviously, it is the uniform du-jour in, as you say, certain sports, and so likely individuals may be pressured to wear it at the team level, even if they are uncomfortable (as uniformity is likely a requirement).
    1200. DDMF.

Undergarments have changed quite a bit from the 70's and 80's, where now I believe everyone wears boxer briefs rather than jocks. And as mentioned above, many basketball players wear tights of varying lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I assume the comment was in reference to this https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/10514...-shorts-norway which was in the news last year.

I don't know of any sports that have high level requirements for skimpy clothing anymore, but obviously, it is the uniform du-jour in, as you say, certain sports, and so likely individuals may be pressured to wear it at the team level, even if they are uncomfortable (as uniformity is likely a requirement).
    I think this is what he's referring to... (but I know what you're getting at)

Early takeaways from the NIL landscape have revealed a top-heavy market for the most popular athletes. But one Olympic sport, in particular, has seen striking success: women’s volleyball.

In terms of total compensation, women’s volleyball athletes have earned 6.7 percent of all NIL compensation so far. That figure trails only football and men’s basketball, both of which feature high-profile athletes who skew the data with some lucrative six-figure deals.

But in terms of total NIL activities by sport, women’s volleyball actually eclipses men’s basketball, ranking second with 8.4 percent of all deals. Football tops all sports with 35 percent.