Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Snomicron 2022

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...5&lon=-78.7928

This is the current Winter Storm Watch for the RDU area, and it doesn't sound all that daunting (at least not yet anyway). Just let Boeheim drive the bus in from the airport and everything's good.
    It looks like it is going to be raining on Thursday before the freezing temps and snow start up, so pretreating the roads may not be as effective and 2-5 inches of snow accumulating Thursday night/Friday on the roads over a sheet of ice from the earlier rain sounds like it has the potential to be rather a bit nasty for the NC Piedmont. Doesn't look like we'll see sun or above freezing temps until around tipoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It looks like it is going to be raining on Thursday before the freezing temps and snow start up, so pretreating the roads may not be as effective and 2-5 inches of snow accumulating Thursday night/Friday on the roads over a sheet of ice from the earlier rain sounds like it has the potential to be rather a bit nasty for the NC Piedmont. Doesn't look like we'll see sun or above freezing temps until around tipoff time.
    ice pretty much sucks no matter what you do...at this point, it looks like there could be a variety of outcomes as is often the case...

This is the current Winter Storm Watch for the RDU area, and it doesn't sound all that daunting (at least not yet anyway). Just let Boeheim drive the bus in from the airport and everything's good.
    Please be more specific as to which one - there are a bunch of them this year!

Also keep in mind that the airports are as short-staffed as everyone else right now. I imagine there aren't many plow drivers at the airport, just as there are very few in the cities/counties. If Syracuse is going to make it down here, they will have to come by early tomorrow afternoon, 'cause it's gonna start getting messy here about that time.

Of course, they could all be wrong and the weather will be great!

I also hate to see $300 worth of tickets go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Please be more specific as to which one - there are a bunch of them this year!
    in a pinch, any Boeheim will do!

Nah, Boeheim would end up in Greensboro, just so he could gripe about it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Current forecast for us here in New Bern is .25 to .5" inch of ice, topped off by 1 to 2 inches of snow. I'll be enjoying the game from my couch, while drinking lots and lots of beverages, which I couldn't do in Cameron anyway. If we do get at least a couple of snow inches, we'll walk up the street to the overpass where we get off 70. It's the biggest hill around, and makes for some fun rare sledding.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

supposed to fly through Charlotte early Saturday morning, and our plane arrives from there late Friday night...so we're braced for an inch of snow wrecking our first trip in two years. I can feel it coming.

ATX is expecting about 36 hours of sub-freezing temps, but only trace amounts of precipitation. Odds of non-catastrophe seem pretty good, so long as a major gas distributor doesn’t make good on a threat to cut off supply to one of the state’s biggest electricity generators.

supposed to fly through Charlotte early Saturday morning, and our plane arrives from there late Friday night...so we're braced for an inch of snow wrecking our first trip in two years. I can feel it coming.
    Don’t give away your UVM tickets. You might need them.

We were planning to drive up to Durham tomorrow for a visit with family and to attend the Syracuse and Clemson games. But now we're monitoring the weather to see whether wintry conditions might make the roads unsafe. I'm especially concerned that the afternoon rain today and evening snow/sleet mix this evening will produce a hazardous sheet of ice as the temps drop below freezing tonight then remain in the 20s and upper teens through gametime on Saturday (after some further accumulation of snow Friday evening).

storm has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory now, but that's enough to mess things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    We were planning to drive up to Durham tomorrow for a visit with family and to attend the Syracuse and Clemson games. But now we're monitoring the weather to see whether wintry conditions might make the roads unsafe. I'm especially concerned that the afternoon rain today and evening snow/sleet mix this evening will produce a hazardous sheet of ice as the temps drop below freezing tonight then remain in the 20s and upper teens through gametime on Saturday (after some further accumulation of snow Friday evening).
    Is South Carolina still the leader in terse weather advisories? "Bridge Freezes First."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Is South Carolina still the leader in terse weather advisories? "Bridge Freezes First."
    Ooh! This is fun! In Mississippi would that same sign read: "You get to a bridge and you don't know if it is frozen and you don't know why only you keep on trying it and you are born at the same time with a lot of other people, all mixed up with them, like trying to, having to, move your arms and legs with strings only the same strings are hitched to all the other arms and legs and the others all trying and they don't know why either except that the strings are all in one another's way like five or six people all trying to make a rug on the same loom only each one wants to weave his own pattern into the rug; and it can't matter, you know that, or the Ones that set up the loom would have arranged things a little better, and yet it must matter because you keep on trying or having to keep on trying and then all of a sudden it's all frozen."?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Then there is the SC road sign "Slower Traffic Keep Right" which apparently only applies to out-of-state drivers.

SC drivers be like "Nah, I pay my taxes here, so the left lane is mine, even though I'm only doing 55 in the fast lane, driving in formation for 30 miles with an 18 wheeler, until I get 50 feet from my exit - at which time I will slow to 40 in order to cut sharply across 3 lanes".

But, hey, "South Carolina Is Not Your Ashtray!"

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Then there is the SC road sign "Slower Traffic Keep Right" which apparently only applies to out-of-state drivers.

SC drivers be like "Nah, I pay my taxes here, so the left lane is mine, even though I'm only doing 55 in the fast lane, driving in formation for 30 miles with an 18 wheeler, until I get 50 feet from my exit - at which time I will slow to 40 in order to cut sharply across 3 lanes".

As I've said before, SC is a state of rugged individualists. We do what we want.

Also, the odds are pretty good that the guy in the BMW in the left lane doing 5 miles under the speed limit is packing.

FREEDOM BABY!!

And I just had to add this picture. The lady in front of the F-650 is a bit over 5 feet tall.

F-650-Greenville-SC.jpg
    Last edited by camion; 01-21-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Ha, I find this true in parts of NC as well. We spent many months down on Topsail Island, and there's a four lane limited access road from there to Wilmington (aka Wimmington)route 17 maybe)...and it is obviously some sort of local custom to set yourself up in the "passing" lane and drive 10 mph slower than the speed limit... all the time, every time...

Came in from Denver a day early so didn’t have any travel issues getting here. Little worried about trying to drive my fancy Toyota Carola rental car to Duke in the AM.

I’m staying at the Springhill Suites Durham Chapel
    at 5310 McFarland Rd, Durham, NC. If anyone will be heading by here and wants to give me a ride, I’d gladly give you a few bucks for gas. I’d buy you concessions at the game, but think they are closed still.

Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    Came in from Denver a day early so didn’t have any travel issues getting here. Little worried about trying to drive my fancy Toyota Carola rental car to Duke in the AM.

I’m staying at the Springhill Suites Durham Chapel
    at 5310 McFarland Rd, Durham, NC. If anyone will be heading by here and wants to give me a ride, I’d gladly give you a few bucks for gas. I’d buy you concessions at the game, but think they are closed still.
    Greetings TerryH! Is this the first game you’ve been to since you went with me 20+ years ago? I doubt I’ll make it to the game tomorrow.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com