Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Snomicron 2022

Speaking of snow storms.

In March,1960 when I was still in high school, it snowed the first 3 Wednesdays of the month in NC. The first two storms dropped the most snow. Charlotte got around 10" March 2-5 and had 22" for the month. The Triad area received a total of 32" for the month. Most coming the first two weeks. I think the snow storm was a category 4 winter storm. It sure kept me out of school for over a week. Not that I minded.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    In March,1960 when I was still in high school, it snowed the first 3 Wednesdays of the month in NC. The first two storms dropped the most snow. Charlotte got around 10" March 2-5 and had 22" for the month. The Triad area received a total of 32" for the month. Most coming the first two weeks. I think the snow storm was a category 4 winter storm. It sure kept me out of school for over a week. Not that I minded.
    And of course that was the month in which new Duke coach Vic Bubas led Duke to its first ACC Tournament title and its first two NCAA Tournament wins. For many of us the snow and the hoops success are inextricably intertwined, now and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    And of course that was the month in which new Duke coach Vic Bubas led Duke to its first ACC Tournament title and its first two NCAA Tournament wins. For many of us the snow and the hoops success are inextricably intertwined, now and forever.
    Now that is a nice memory. My next door neighbor, a heel, was somewhat crestfallen after the ACC semis, but assured me that there was no way that Duke would ever beat Wake Forest. I don't remember that he spoke to me again for some time after that. That was the second best thing about the tournament.

Section 15

Syracuse gonna try to fly down to RDU tomorrow?

Me thinks if they wait until Friday, we may not be playing them Saturday at noon at Cameron.

Looks like the east coast may get pounded again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    My mom has told me about that. It messed up her sixteenth birthday for three weeks straight. They kept planning on doing something "next week". I will probably hear that story again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My mom has told me about that. It messed up her sixteenth birthday for three weeks straight. They kept planning on doing something "next week". I will probably hear that story again soon.
    I was a tween living northwest of Charlotte during that time and had a paper route (Newton Observer), Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Normally I rode my bike, but those Wednesdays were tough for my mom because she drove me and there were some hills. We made it with a good bit of slipping and sliding.

Ahh, good times.

According to Google, Asheville got 16 inches of snow in one day in March 1993.

I have no idea where this "record" came from.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Syracuse gonna try to fly down to RDU tomorrow?

Me thinks if they wait until Friday, we may not be playing them Saturday at noon at Cameron.

Looks like the east coast may get pounded again this weekend.
    One or two inches of snow in Durham? I think Syracuse can deal with that...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Current forecast I'm seeing is 3-5 inches of snow accumulation. Of course, that's changed twice a day for about a week, and the ice storm last weekend basically didn't happen, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    According to Google, Asheville got 16 inches of snow in one day in March 1993.

I have no idea where this "record" came from.
    The only thing I could think is that it had to be officially measured at the airport and wherever the airport is gets less than the surrounding area for some reason? I was immediately skeptical when I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Current forecast I'm seeing is 3-5 inches of snow accumulation. Of course, that's changed twice a day for about a week, and the ice storm last weekend basically didn't happen, so...
    I’m seeing 4-8 inches of snow for Raleigh Friday into the night. Cuse’s pilot may be able to handle that landing on the runway but I’d be more comfortable taking his word for it rather than testing him out.

The issue isn't the Syracuse team or the pilot but whether there is adequate equipment at RDU to clear the runways. IANAP (I am not a pilot) but I assume it isn't that bad to land on a minimal amount of snow, but as it starts to pile up and not get moved, it gets more problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I’m seeing 4-8 inches of snow for Raleigh Friday into the night. Cuse’s pilot may be able to handle that landing on the runway but I’d be more comfortable taking his word for it rather than testing him out.
    I feel that way when purchasing meat. I take the butcher's word for it.

NC mountains May 1992

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...carolina/13765

I was getting ready to graduate from Wake Forest. We had an icy mist blowing while I packed up my car to move back home. By graduation day, it was in the 90s in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The issue isn't the Syracuse team or the pilot but whether there is adequate equipment at RDU to clear the runways. IANAP (I am not a pilot) but I assume it isn't that bad to land on a minimal amount of snow, but as it starts to pile up and not get moved, it gets more problematic.
    yes, this is always the key point. Without sufficient plowing, they'll shut down the airport...it takes a major investment in large equipment to keep airports open in the snow, but many do. RDU is big enough to afford it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother.
    https://fortbrand.com/fortbrand-serv...l-airport-btv/

This here baby is what you want, get yourself a couple three Vammas ST/SB 5500 Snow Removal Vee-hickles and your're good to go...they plow the runway and brush remaining snow to the side with one elegant machine.
    Last edited by budwom; 01-19-2022 at 01:20 PM.

yes, this is always the key point. Without sufficient plowing, they'll shut down the airport...it takes a major investment in large equipment to keep airports open in the snow, but many do. RDU is big enough to afford it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother.
    https://fortbrand.com/fortbrand-serv...l-airport-btv/

This here baby is what you want, get yourself a couple three Vammas ST/SB 5500 Snow Removal Vee-hickles and your're good to go...they plow the runway and brush remaining snow to the side with one elegant machine.
    Do you have a few of those for the driveway at Chez Budwom? I figure they give those out for retirement instead of gold watches up there.

Hopefully RDU at least has a few standard plows buried somewhere. It would take a long time to shovel out a runway. When I played tennis in high school we had a decent storm at the start of the season and the coach suggested we try to shovel out the courts. I think the 12 of us got through about a quarter of one court before we realized we were wasting our time (and likely destroying the court). We did get our physical workout in for the day.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I just told my stepmom that I won't be joining her in Cameron on Saturday.
    Here in the east, we are likely to get only freezing rain...but lots of it. And driving from here in New Bern to Durham, it only gets messier.

Since we are likely to face a significant ice storm, I'm prepping my generators today.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Do you have a few of those for the driveway at Chez Budwom? I figure they give those out for retirement instead of gold watches up there.

Hopefully RDU at least has a few standard plows buried somewhere. It would take a long time to shovel out a runway. When I played tennis in high school we had a decent storm at the start of the season and the coach suggested we try to shovel out the courts. I think the 12 of us got through about a quarter of one court before we realized we were wasting our time (and likely destroying the court). We did get our physical workout in for the day.
    that would be nice! Fortunately my driveway is long enough so we and our neighbors just wait for local Plow Man to wander by after each decent sized dumping of snow..

Our airport long ago got sick of airlines blaming them for cancelled flights, so these guys keep the airport open in just about every snow situation imaginable...and if airlines don't want to come, it's on them...

A lot of talk about plowing the airport. Don't the roads also need to be passable, both on the way in and the way out? The current forecast looks like a sheet of ice covered by snow come Friday night/Saturday morning.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...5&lon=-78.7928

This is the current Winter Storm Watch for the RDU area, and it doesn't sound all that daunting (at least not yet anyway). Just let Boeheim drive the bus in from the airport and everything's good.