Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snomicron 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    In central Durham, most of what we received was sleet, which was much better than freezing rain. The high winds also never materialized, so we got off easy. The issue was slick conditions on the road, but it is slushy now so not a big deal.
    In Greensboro we got 1”
    of snow followed by 3” of sleet. Here’s looking down my driveway this morning. When I walk on the white stuff, I don’t leave any footprints. The forecast temp Tuesday morning is 22F. It’ll take most of the week for it to melt. I’m not going to try and shovel it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It’ll take most of the week for it to melt.
    Just in time for more later this week, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    The TV mentioned a tornado in Durham this morning. Was this an "alternative fact"?

Section 15
    Alternative, but interesting.

Alternative, but interesting.
    Snownado.

As long as it's not sharks.

Sharksickles?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sharksickles?
    Biting cold.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Biting cold.
    Talk about REAL frost bite….

Snownado.

As long as it's not sharks.
    About that. Sharknados are implausible...but a tsharknami isn't!!!!! How come no one in the room pointed this out during story boarding?!!?

I was notified earlier today by Duke ticket office that I have a ticket for Saturdays Syracuse game. Am currently scheduled to fly in late Friday. Thinking I need to fly in Thursday to beat the weather. Thoughts on the game being canceled? I’m also looking to change hotels to someplace close enough where I could walk to Cameron in case roads are bad. Ugh. Weather!

Unless we have another storm you should be a-ok. Interstates and 2ndary roads are clear.

If snow Friday, arrive Thursday.

And... This Just In, a Snomicron double hitter!!

I heard on the news today that this weekend's storm set all time records for a single snowfall for both Greenville, SC (6.5 inches) and Asheville, NC (10.4 inches).

Huzzah!!!

snomicron-Greenville-Asheville.jpg

I find it surprising that Asheville's previous record set in 1891 was 7 inches.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    I was notified earlier today by Duke ticket office that I have a ticket for Saturdays Syracuse game. Am currently scheduled to fly in late Friday. Thinking I need to fly in Thursday to beat the weather. Thoughts on the game being canceled? I’m also looking to change hotels to someplace close enough where I could walk to Cameron in case roads are bad. Ugh. Weather!
    The chances of the game being cancelled are very slim. I'm keeping an eye out too; at least I won't have to decide 'til Saturday morning whether I'll drive the two hours from New Bern.
    Unlike last weekend, this time we are actually supposed to get snow here, too. Still plenty of time for the outlook to change, so I'm crossing fingers! Getting snow here is rare, so it's a treat...but not a game day!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And... This Just In, a Snomicron double hitter!!

I heard on the news today that this weekend's storm set all time records for a single snowfall for both Greenville, SC (6.5 inches) and Asheville, NC (10.4 inches).

Huzzah!!!

snomicron-Greenville-Asheville.jpg

I find it surprising that Asheville's previous record set in 1891 was 7 inches.
    Historically, Asheville is the dryest spot in the state so I suspect that is part of the reason for this. (Interestingly, just over the Ridgeline to the south, Transylvania County is the wettest spot in the state - gulf moisture in the air dropping when it hits mountains.)

Historically, Asheville is the dryest spot in the state so I suspect that is part of the reason for this. (Interestingly, just over the Ridgeline to the south, Transylvania County is the wettest spot in the state - gulf moisture in the air dropping when it hits mountains.)
    I have to say that the worst area for driving in snow or sleet is west of Asheville in what I call the I-40 Gorge. Traveling east from Pigeon Forge on I-40 toward Asheville there's a section of road that's curvy with the mountain on your left and a cliff down to a river on your right. One year my wife, myself and another couple were traveling through that section in heavy snow. All of a sudden we come to a dead stop. A truck driver had turned over his rig about 10 or so miles ahead of us. We sat there for over an hour waiting for the road to be cleared. From that day forward, when we made that trip, we stayed on I-81 to avoid that section. It was a little farther but much safer. At least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I have to say that the worst area for driving in snow or sleet is west of Asheville in what I call the I-40 Gorge. Traveling east from Pigeon Forge on I-40 toward Asheville there's a section of road that's curvy with the mountain on your left and a cliff down to a river on your right. One year my wife, myself and another couple were traveling through that section in heavy snow. All of a sudden we come to a dead stop. A truck driver had turned over his rig about 10 or so miles ahead of us. We sat there for over an hour waiting for the road to be cleared. From that day forward, when we made that trip, we stayed on I-81 to avoid that section. It was a little farther but much safer. At least in my opinion.
    Also I-40 near TN is frequently blocked by slides.

I imagine that record snowfall in Asheville was for that date on the calendar. I've personally seen 18" fall before Xmas about 12 years ago, though I suppose it may have happened overnight (two separate dates).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    When I lived in Waynesville/Canton 20 years ago, there were reports of a truck that went missing on I-40 in that area. It was found a year later by a ginseng hunter. It had gone off the highway at a curve and plummeted down the hillside. The driver didn't say if it was due to a medical issue, mechanical, or road conditions, since they were dead in the cab.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I was caught up in the Great Snowstorm of '93 (wow, almost 30 years ago!) in Highlands, about 40 miles west and south of Asheville. The snowfall was over 30 inches there. This was during the ACC Mens Tournament. Duke lost to GT in the first round. At some loftier locations over four feet of snow fell.

Anyway, Asheville had 16-18 inches of snow over two days then. Not sure how much fell each day.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I was caught up in the Great Snowstorm of '93 (wow, almost 30 years ago!) in Highlands, about 40 miles west and south of Asheville. The snowfall was over 30 inches there. This was during the ACC Mens Tournament. Duke lost to GT in the first round. At some loftier locations over four feet of snow fell.

Anyway, Asheville had 16-18 inches of snow over two days then. Not sure how much fell each day.
    In March. I was on spring break from UNC and we got 30 something inches in Mount Airy.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    In March. I was on spring break from UNC and we got 30 something inches in Mount Airy.
    The blizzard of '93 was the most snow I've ever seen in Atlanta (and likely always will be). According to official records, we got 4.5" of snow, but darned if it didn't feel like a lot more than that. I do distinctly remember measuring drifts of well over a foot. That was also the most sledding I've ever done (I grew up in a house with a very long and steep driveway). The last vivid memory I have of that storm is watching the ACC Tournament on a tiny battery-powered TV because the power was out for days. To add a bit more local glee to Atlanta's rare winter wonderland, GA Tech won the tournament that year, but then screwed the pooch by getting upset in the first round of the big toonamunt.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The blizzard of '93 was the most snow I've ever seen in Atlanta (and likely always will be). According to official records, we got 4.5" of snow, but darned if it didn't feel like a lot more than that. I do distinctly remember measuring drifts of well over a foot. That was also the most sledding I've ever done (I grew up in a house with a very long and steep driveway). The last vivid memory I have of that storm is watching the ACC Tournament on a tiny battery-powered TV because the power was out for days. To add a bit more local glee to Atlanta's rare winter wonderland, GA Tech won the tournament that year, but then screwed the pooch by getting upset in the first round of the big toonamunt.
    James Forrest team.