Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cam to join RJ in NYC

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33057458/atlanta-hawks-trade-cam-reddish-new-york-knicks-kevin-knox-1st-round-pick-sources-say

Interesting possibilities if he can just stay healthy

Wow. That’s interesting. Can’t wait to watch them both together.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Wow. That’s interesting. Can’t wait to watch them both together.
    Is it the Knicks long-term plan to sign a free-agent Zion and reunite the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Thats my kind of conspiracy theory!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Hawks Twitter is not gonna be happy about this, not only because the majority of fans didn't want Cam to be traded, but also because the return on this trade seems...iffy.
    A bit of a puzzler looking at things from Atlanta.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Hawks Twitter is not gonna be happy about this, not only because the majority of fans didn't want Cam to be traded, but also because the return on this trade seems...iffy.
    This was my thought too... I didn't get the clear desire from the Hawks front office to get rid of Reddish, especially with his performance pointing up this season. Yes, they sort of screwed themselves by committing to iffy contracts for veterans in the way of Cam's PT, but wouldn't it be better long term to try to get rid of one of those guys and see whether the still young Reddish can ascend?

I absolutely loathe rooting for NY teams, but I've adjusted to root for the Giants with DJ there, and I'll be doing the same for the Knicks even more now.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

What about Tre and Joey?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

I absolutely loathe rooting for NY teams, but I've adjusted to root for the Giants with DJ there, and I'll be doing the same for the Knicks even more now.
    And the Nets? For away games only?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    What about Tre and Joey?
    Works for me, although I can't see Joey getting even one minute of floor time in the NBA. Mind you, I don't watch the Knicks, like, ever, but if they got Tre and Joey too, I'd tune in.

The return is terrible! A protected 1st round pick for a solid 3-and-D player who can easily become a 16ppg+ player?

Hawks sold low. I wonder if something else is going on...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The return is terrible! A protected 1st round pick for a solid 3-and-D player who can easily become a 16ppg+ player?

What's going on is a logjam of Hawks players roughly matching Cam's profile, several of whom have already received lucrative contract extensions. Also, in contrast to the glut of swing-ish type players, the Hawks also have some serious holes, most notably on the defensive end of the court, so somebody was just gonna have to go eventually. I'm with you though; this looks an awful lot like a "sell low" kind of situation, and if pressed to place a bet, I'd say that this trade will not age well.

What's going on is a logjam of Hawks players roughly matching Cam's profile, several of whom have already received lucrative contract extensions. Also, in contrast to the glut of swing-ish type players, the Hawks also have some serious holes, most notably on the defensive end of the court, so somebody was just gonna have to go eventually. I'm with you though; this looks an awful lot like a "sell low" kind of situation, and if pressed to place a bet, I'd say that this trade will not age well.
    Getting rid of Cam makes sense. Getting a useless Knox and a protected 1st round pick doesn't.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

To be fair, the return is essentially identical to what the Pistons got on draft night 2020 for Luke Kennard, who arguably was more established than Cam (having been a consistent starter for Detroit the previous season). The logic of the deal was that the Pistons weren't going to invest in Luke's extension, so why not get a "do-over" first round pick rather than lose him for nothing.

The Hawks had to have known, based on their salary cap situation, that there was no way they could afford to keep Cam long-term. But the rest of the league probably knew that to which is why they had to take what they could get for him. I think this trade was probably more a function of bad offseason investments by the Hawks that precluded keeping a budding youngster rather than how they view Cam.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Getting rid of Cam makes sense. Getting a useless Knox and a protected 1st round pick doesn't.
    In the case of Cam, it appears to have been a buyer's market -- Atlanta need to move him.

I assume that Atlanta has another deal in mind, where a mid-first-round pick would be valuable.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In the case of Cam, it appears to have been a buyer's market -- Atlanta need to move him.

I assume that Atlanta has another deal in mind, where a mid-first-round pick would be valuable.
    I think Scott's rationale makes sense: league knew Hawks wanted to move Cam and hence didn't offer anything substantial.

The Hawks easily could have moved Cam in the offseason. But after Cam's solid playoffs, they wanted to see what he could do during the season. It's a risk, and it didn't pay off.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Thats my kind of conspiracy theory!
    I'm very happy that we as Duke fans got to watch Zion in his healthy prime; nobody else has. And I think NBA teams are very aware of that. I wouldn't risk my money.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    To be fair, the return is essentially identical to what the Pistons got on draft night 2020 for Luke Kennard, who arguably was more established than Cam (having been a consistent starter for Detroit the previous season). The logic of the deal was that the Pistons weren't going to invest in Luke's extension, so why not get a "do-over" first round pick rather than lose him for nothing.

The Hawks had to have known, based on their salary cap situation, that there was no way they could afford to keep Cam long-term. But the rest of the league probably knew that to which is why they had to take what they could get for him. I think this trade was probably more a function of bad offseason investments by the Hawks that precluded keeping a budding youngster rather than how they view Cam.
    Also correct.

Unless they quickly repackage the pick, I really don't follow what the Hawks front office is doing here. And they had better move quickly and/or decisively. They've just been on the cusp of really capturing Atlanta's interest, but now they just look lost again on the court. And this trade at first blush seems to indicate that the GM's office is likewise lost.
    Just a head-scratcher.

And that protected pick is from the Hornets, which I believe NY was worried about the return on it based on Charlotte's play so far this season. Certainly lots at play because Know isn't exactly filling a hole for them as a player.

I think Scott's rationale makes sense: league knew Hawks wanted to move Cam and hence didn't offer anything substantial.

The Hawks easily could have moved Cam in the offseason. But after Cam's solid playoffs, they wanted to see what he could do during the season. It's a risk, and it didn't pay off.
    This was the best offer that the Hawks got for Reddish. He was a bust as the #10 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm very happy that we as Duke fans got to watch Zion in his healthy prime; nobody else has. And I think NBA teams are very aware of that. I wouldn't risk my money.
    Hopefully this perks Zion up and he's not eating his feelings but on the road back to being the super star athlete he's destined to be at MSG.

Remember his honest reaction when Knicks (against all odds) didn't get the first pick?

Beignets or NYC-style pizza -- what will it be? Actually, both sound good right now.