Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Anyone played Pebble or Spyglass before? It’s on my bucket list. Maybe one day! I believe Jim Nantz has a house on one of the holes there and has a backyard with a Par 3 Augusta National replica hole in it.
    I played Pebble 20 years ago, while my wife was at a book conference in Monterey. I showed up before sunrise, about 10 minutes before the clubhouse opened, got my name on a walk-on list, and within an hour was teeing off. It was a steep fee even then, don't know what it has grown to now, but it was worth it to cross it off my bucket list. And the course is not that hard from regular tees, as long as you keep it off the beach (I sailed one down there on 10).

And Nantz has a replica (I think 1/2 size) of the 7th at Pebble in his back yard.

Anyone played Pebble or Spyglass before? It’s on my bucket list. Maybe one day! I believe Jim Nantz has a house on one of the holes there and has a backyard with a Par 3 Augusta National replica hole in it.

Here it is:

Attachment 14112
    I've walked Spyglass but never played it. I think it is a harder track than Pebble Beach.

I was fortunate enough to play Pebble Beach twice in the span of about three weeks. Shot 80 both times, but on the first round I went 38-42 and on the second round I went 42-38. Too bad I couldn't string together a couple of 38s! Still, I played well both times and I think 80 is a pretty respectable score at Pebble (played the white tees, by the way). Didn't hit any balls onto the beach, although my drive at 10 was hugging the edge of the cliffs pretty tightly.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I played Pebble 20 years ago, while my wife was at a book conference in Monterey. I showed up before sunrise, about 10 minutes before the clubhouse opened, got my name on a walk-on list, and within an hour was teeing off. It was a steep fee even then, don't know what it has grown to now, but it was worth it to cross it off my bucket list. And the course is not that hard from regular tees, as long as you keep it off the beach (I sailed one down there on 10).

And Nantz has a replica (I think 1/2 size) of the 7th at Pebble in his back yard.
    Wow, that’s a memorable bucket list experience for sure! I was listening to a podcast recently with a PGA tour player named Keith Mitchell. He won the Honda Classic in 2019 and is on the Tour. He played at Georgia. Anyway, he said it’s hard to dial in your irons there with the wind and marine layer air. Shots die sometimes apparently. I’m not good enough to really have it affect me too terribly much, likely, but apparently a lot of the Tour guys think dialing in their irons there is tough. I love the layout and views. Another great course in the golden state will be played by the Tour in 2 weeks - Riviera. Classic, beautiful track!

If you haven't seen it, look for the video of Jordan Spieth hitting his approach shot at the 8th at Pebble today. His ball was no more than a foot short of the chasm that you have to hit over on your second shot (was that his drive? I didn't think it was possible to reach that chasm on the drive). Any sort of forward momentum on the follow-through would have taken him over the edge, and it's a LONG way down from there. I would definitely have had to take an unplayable there.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Still, the commentary on the tournament is that, if you don't shoot in the 60s at MP, you are toast. Now, in point of fact, Seamus Power could shoot 70 or 71 at MP and still be in the lead, given that he was -8 at both SH and PB the first two days.
    And Seamus goes +3 to fall 2 off the lead and 7th place. The jinx is strong with you, my friend.

Leona Maguire Wins Her First LPGA Tour Victory

Leona Maguire won her first LPGA Tour Victory today. I didn't see any TV coverage during a packed day of sports (not even the Golf channel). But this is the first win for an Irish National. A big congratulations to Leona. It is even on the ESPN runner, just before the Duke dominant win over UNC!! A great Duke day!

Celine Boutier finished Tied for 20th.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/leo...sh-winner-tour

Larry
    DevilHorse

If you haven't seen it, look for the video of Jordan Spieth hitting his approach shot at the 8th at Pebble today. His ball was no more than a foot short of the chasm that you have to hit over on your second shot (was that his drive? I didn't think it was possible to reach that chasm on the drive). Any sort of forward momentum on the follow-through would have taken him over the edge, and it's a LONG way down from there. I would definitely have had to take an unplayable there.
    It's not that far to the chasm on 8. Most players club down there. From the whites, driver and even three wood was dangerous even for me when i played there.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It's not that far to the chasm on 8. Most players club down there. From the whites, driver and even three wood was dangerous even for me when i played there.
    Yeah, after I said that, I mentally had to take it back. I think I was recalling my one time playing the hole, which has absolutely no bearing at all on how the pros attack the hole. However, I did par it, which was the high point of my round.

I think the announcer said Jordan was hitting a 3-wood off the tee. The announcer seemed surprised the ball traveled that far even with the firm fairways.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I think the announcer said Jordan was hitting a 3-wood off the tee. The announcer seemed surprised the ball traveled that far even with the firm fairways.
    That's a lot of club from that tee, and you had better stay left if you hit a big stick.
    I think most people are pretty happy to be 10-20 yards shy of the cliff off the 8th tee.

In the two times I played the hole, I didn't get into trouble, but I also missed the green both times. If you can manage a par there, you will have earned it.

32 year old Tom Hoge wins the 2022 AT&T Pro Am

His first career win on tour. He fired a final round 68 (4 birdies on the back 9) to go -19 for the tournament.

His first career win on tour. He fired a final round 68 (4 birdies on the back 9) to go -19 for the tournament.
    Last year at the Open, Jordan Spieth got beaten in Sandwich.

This year at Pebble, he got beaten by a sandwich …. 😇
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The Waste Management Open at TPC Scottsdale is this weekend in Arizona.

Has anyone ever been to it? I am a bit older now, and it seems like largely a drinking type event for the fans. Especially the 16th hole (stadium seating for fans). They really like to heckle the golfers on that hole. It’s a par 3, and if the competitors miss the green, they literally hear a lot about it from the fans in the stadium seats that are very “hydrated”! It seems like a fun tournament to attend for someone in their 20s or early 30s which I am not. I just can’t drink like that anymore!

Speaking of Tour events, what are some that the group has attended?

I have been to the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst (Martin Kaymer won - I went to Saturday’s round. It was HOT in Pinehurst that weekend); I went to the 2016 US Open at Oakmont (Dustin Johnson won his first career major there that weekend - we went to Saturday’s round). And I went to the 2018 PGA Championship at Bellerive in St. Louis (Koepka won but Tiger came in 2nd and made a Sunday charge for the ages, just coming up short. We went to Saturday’s round).

My bucket list is obviously Augusta National one day for The Masters; The Old Course at St. Andrew’s for The Open (they’re playing there this summer but I just can’t swing it this year); I’d love to go to Bay Hill one day to pay my respects to The King’s course - Mr. Arnold Palmer; would love to go to Pebble Beach, Riviera, and Torrey Pines in the golden state one day; and Muirfield for the Memorial to pay my respects to the Golden Bear - Mr. Jack Nicklaus.

Muirfield for the Memorial to pay my respects to the Golden Bear - Mr. Jack Nicklaus.
    I grew up going to this one...it's MUCH more patron-friendly than the US Open at Pinehurst. Amphitheatre-style holes everywhere, easy to walk, etc. The 14th green area is good, as is 15 (especially if you can see 16 from your spot), and of course 18.

The only other "tournament" that I've attended is the Ryder Cup, also at Muirfield Village.

I also attended the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst; have attended the 2012, 2014, and 2015 (practice round) Masters; have attended the 2017 PGA Championship at Quail Hollow in Charlotte; regularly attend the Wyndham Championship at Sedgfield in Greensboro; and saw a Senior PGA Tour (now Champions Tour) event at Tanglewood in Clemmons in 1996 or 1997.

We also have tickets to Saturday and Sunday of the 2022 Presidents Cup at Quail Hollow.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Has anyone ever been to it? I am a bit older now, and it seems like largely a drinking type event for the fans. Especially the 16th hole (stadium seating for fans). They really like to heckle the golfers on that hole. It’s a par 3, and if the competitors miss the green, they literally hear a lot about it from the fans in the stadium seats that are very “hydrated”! It seems like a fun tournament to attend for someone in their 20s or early 30s which I am not. I just can’t drink like that anymore!

Speaking of Tour events, what are some that the group has attended?

I have been to the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst (Martin Kaymer won - I went to Saturday’s round. It was HOT in Pinehurst that weekend); I went to the 2016 US Open at Oakmont (Dustin Johnson won his first career major there that weekend - we went to Saturday’s round). And I went to the 2018 PGA Championship at Bellerive in St. Louis (Koepka won but Tiger came in 2nd and made a Sunday charge for the ages, just coming up short. We went to Saturday’s round).

My bucket list is obviously Augusta National one day for The Masters; The Old Course at St. Andrew’s for The Open (they’re playing there this summer but I just can’t swing it this year); I’d love to go to Bay Hill one day to pay my respects to The King’s course - Mr. Arnold Palmer; would love to go to Pebble Beach, Riviera, and Torrey Pines in the golden state one day; and Muirfield for the Memorial to pay my respects to the Golden Bear - Mr. Jack Nicklaus.
    Never been to the Waste Management / Phoenix Open, but your thoughts on it mirror mine: at one point in my life that would have been fun, but not so much anymore.

I try to attend anything that is in my neck of the woods (DC area), so I've seen a few prestige events (1997 and 2011 US Opens at Congressional, 2005 Presidents Cup at RTJ, BMW at Caves last year), but also try to go to the regular tour stop that they used to have here: Kemper/AT&T/Quicken Loans at Congressional, Avenel, or RTJ. Looking forward to the women's KPMG and the men's Wells Fargo here next year. Outside of the local events, I've been to the Masters in 2010 (Thursday, Tiger's first event back from the scandal) and 2012 (Wed practice round), and was also at the 2000 PGA at Valhalla, but poor scheduling forced me to leave early, so I had to catch the Tiger/Bob May duel on an airport TV. I played in the pro-am at Bay Hill once, but didn't actually stay to watch any of the event. My wish list looks like yours: Pebble, St Andrews, Torrey, Riviera, the Players, and any Ryder Cup (need to hang on 15 more years until it's local for me) would be at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Never been to the Waste Management / Phoenix Open, but your thoughts on it mirror mine: at one point in my life that would have been fun, but not so much anymore.

I try to attend anything that is in my neck of the woods (DC area), so I've seen a few prestige events (1997 and 2011 US Opens at Congressional, 2005 Presidents Cup at RTJ, BMW at Caves last year), but also try to go to the regular tour stop that they used to have here: Kemper/AT&T/Quicken Loans at Congressional, Avenel, or RTJ. Looking forward to the women's KPMG and the men's Wells Fargo here next year. Outside of the local events, I've been to the Masters in 2010 (Thursday, Tiger's first event back from the scandal) and 2012 (Wed practice round), and was also at the 2000 PGA at Valhalla, but poor scheduling forced me to leave early, so I had to catch the Tiger/Bob May duel on an airport TV. I played in the pro-am at Bay Hill once, but didn't actually stay to watch any of the event. My wish list looks like yours: Pebble, St Andrews, Torrey, Riviera, the Players, and any Ryder Cup (need to hang on 15 more years until it's local for me) would be at the top.
    Very cool! Wow, played in the Pro-Am at Bay Hill. That’s good stuff! Regarding the Player’s - I had tickets to the Saturday round in the 2020 event. Actually, I was going to go there with my wife for my birthday. We had tickets on the 17th (island green) tee box in a suite. Usually when we attend, we are just part of the masses of peasants in the gallery but we really wanted to do something special for my birthday. Well if you remember, the first round Thursday was played with fans. But the 2nd and subsequent rounds were cancelled - this was the first weekend of the still ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The ACCT was cancelled that weekend too. It was unfortunate! But I do want to actually go one day and see it.

Has anyone ever been to it?
    I played it once in the late 80's while in Scottsdale on business. What I remember about it is that there was only one tree on the entire course. My drive on that hole, of course, landed right behind it at it's base...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I played it once in the late 80's while in Scottsdale on business. What I remember about it is that there was only one tree on the entire course. My drive on that hole, of course, landed right behind it at it's base...
    Is that an example of "Ozzie's Law"?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Wow! Thanks for sharing. And LOL at the tree.