Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The LPGA does have the advantage of seeing how things have played out with the PGA...and there are obvious pluses and minuses and they need to be thoughtful and careful!

On a related note...I really enjoy watching the LPGA when I get a chance. They play a game that is more relatable for me. Not that I can play like they can but they aren't driving the ball 150 past mine routinely. They hit hybrids more often (I love to hit hybrids), etc. When I watch the PGA players play I'm just in awe of what they can do and in no way could I ever play similarly (I just don't have the distance or skill). When I watch the women play...in no way can I approach how good they are but I feel like I can play similarly (much worse, but similarly). As you can probably tell, I'm trying to make this point without propping myself and my terrible golf game up or disrespecting the incredible skill of the LPGA players. As a guy that isn't a big hitter, I feel like how they play should be what I should strive for (the way the PGA guys play is so far beyond me that I just enjoy the spectacle).

Hats off to Tony Finau, way to stay hot!
    I agree with this. For several years now I have actually preferred watching the LPGA to watching the PGA. It just feels more like the game I play, albeit at a much higher level of skill. Plus, many of them have swings that have beautiful tempo and rhythm. Certainly a lot of the men do, too, but some of them are just swinging really hard most of the time, which makes it less helpful for a player with my (lack of) swing speed.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I'm glad Tiger doesn't have a gambling problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...DUl?li=BBnb7Kz
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Liberal viral video outfit The Good Liars went to the LIV tour stop at Trump's course in Bedminster and...well... you need to see what they did as Phil Mickelson was about to take a swing: https://twitter.com/TheGoodLiars/sta...79530253369345

Not cool, but not entirely unfunny either.
    Your post reminded me of what I found while searching for the best golf balls for seniors. It seems there's a Biden Wilson Ultra Golf ball. I'll not go any further but if you want to check it out, you're welcome to.

Since signing a reported $200 million contract with LIV Golf, Phil Mickelson is a combined +40 in 11 rounds of golf.

@Daniel_Rapaport official Twitter count.

Phil is getting his money’s worth of strokes out there on the LIV Golf tour now!

This shows you the quality of play on the LIV Tour. Henrik Stenson wins, and pompously states "I guess we can agree I played like a captain."

https://larrybrownsports.com/golf/he...liv-win/601712

Stenson has not won in 5 years on the PGA Tour. It's been even longer since he won on the European Tour. He's been cut from 7 of the last 9 majors and didn't even make 2 others. He's been cut from 9 of 14 PGA Tour events this season. His OWGR ranking is #174 (1.0080 points, if you're thinking of taking him in the pools).

So yeah, those LIV exhibitions must be real tough.

Again, if I wasn't competitive anymore I would have taken the $50M also. But I wouldn't be sticking my finger in the eye of the real Tours. And let's not pretend the talent and competition approaches that on the real Tours.
    Last edited by dudog84; 08-02-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Patrick Reed, who joined the LIV Golf tour in part to play golf less and spend more time with his family, has signed up for two Asian Tour starts.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/no-...an-tour-starts

The tournaments in Singapore (Aug. 11-14) and South Korea (Aug. 18-21) are part of the Asian Tour’s International Series, which earlier this year received a $300 million investment from LIV Golf. Because the LIV tour doesn’t offer world-ranking points – its application with the OWGR board is currently under review – the Asian Tour remains an avenue for those players to earn points that could help secure their world rankings. The top 50 at the end of the year earn exemptions into the 2023 majors.

The only LIV players currently in the Singapore field who are ranked inside the top 100 in world are Reed (No. 46), Yuki Inamori (No. 81), Scott Vincent (No. 88) and Sadom Kaewkanjana (No. 94). Because the tournament hasn’t attracted many of the top players in the world, it is unlikely to offer a significant amount of world-ranking points.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Patrick Reed, who joined the LIV Golf tour in part to play golf less and spend more time with his family, has signed up for two Asian Tour starts.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/no-...an-tour-starts

The tournaments in Singapore (Aug. 11-14) and South Korea (Aug. 18-21) are part of the Asian Tour’s International Series, which earlier this year received a $300 million investment from LIV Golf. Because the LIV tour doesn’t offer world-ranking points – its application with the OWGR board is currently under review – the Asian Tour remains an avenue for those players to earn points that could help secure their world rankings. The top 50 at the end of the year earn exemptions into the 2023 majors.

The only LIV players currently in the Singapore field who are ranked inside the top 100 in world are Reed (No. 46), Yuki Inamori (No. 81), Scott Vincent (No. 88) and Sadom Kaewkanjana (No. 94). Because the tournament hasn’t attracted many of the top players in the world, it is unlikely to offer a significant amount of world-ranking points.
    There's just no way that is true, I think you mis-typed. The typical field at a major is around 150 players, and the Masters has less than 100. The numbers don't work!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    There's just no way that is true, I think you mis-typed. The typical field at a major is around 150 players, and the Masters has less than 100. The numbers don't work!
    If it’s wrong, I blame Golf Channel … I copied and pasted it from their article!

It’s poorly written as I think it is trying to say top 50 in the world rankings (not Asian Tour) get majors exemptions.

And it’s an odd move for Reed - I think he is still exempt into all the majors next year from his 2018 Masters win? Maybe I have that wrong. But the next year (2024) he is definitely in trouble if he wants to play the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    It’s poorly written as I think it is trying to say top 50 in the world rankings (not Asian Tour) get majors exemptions.

And it’s an odd move for Reed - I think he is still exempt into all the majors next year from his 2018 Masters win? Maybe I have that wrong. But the next year (2024) he is definitely in trouble if he wants to play the majors.
    Aha! I see it now. Also, the powers that be at some of the majors have said (I specifically remember The Open, because it's most recent) they will be revisiting their qualifications. They might add 'players must be in good standing with the following organizations/tours (and then list who they find acceptable). Or say 'within 5 years of last major championship and within top 75 OWGR or whatever'.

Aha! I see it now. Also, the powers that be at some of the majors have said (I specifically remember The Open, because it's most recent) they will be revisiting their qualifications. They might add 'players must be in good standing with the following organizations/tours (and then list who they find acceptable). Or say 'within 5 years of last major championship and within top 75 OWGR or whatever'.
    Yes Majors hold all the cards. Collectively they are 4 of the 7 votes on the OWGR board who can approve or deny points for LIV events, and individually they can set their own qualification criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Yes Majors hold all the cards. Collectively they are 4 of the 7 votes on the OWGR board who can approve or deny points for LIV events, and individually they can set their own qualification criteria.
    I think they're gonna hafta give LIV points. Otherwise they'll get sued, and only the lawyers make money. I just think it ain't gonna be much to hoot about. mkirsh, this is on you and mr. synellinden, because I paid little attention until you made OWGR famous in the degenerate pools, but check out 2/3 of the way down this page which lists the points given to many different tours.

http://www.owgr.com/about

While winners on the PGA and European Tours get a minimum of 24 points, there are about a dozen tours you've never heard of who hold 54-hole tourneys...and their winners get 3 or 4 points. They couldn't keep up. Then again, the Champions Tour doesn't get any points, so they could say we don't have to give you points just because you start a tour.

Regardless, I think LIV golfers are gonna be screwed at the majors within a couple of years, and probably sooner. Much sooner. If LIV goes to court that will take a few years, and age is not a friend of the golfer, pro or otherwise.

I think they're gonna hafta give LIV points. Otherwise they'll get sued, and only the lawyers make money. I just think it ain't gonna be much to hoot about. mkirsh, this is on you and mr. synellinden, because I paid little attention until you made OWGR famous in the degenerate pools, but check out 2/3 of the way down this page which lists the points given to many different tours.

http://www.owgr.com/about

While winners on the PGA and European Tours get a minimum of 24 points, there are about a dozen tours you've never heard of who hold 54-hole tourneys...and their winners get 3 or 4 points. They couldn't keep up. Then again, the Champions Tour doesn't get any points, so they could say we don't have to give you points just because you start a tour.

Regardless, I think LIV golfers are gonna be screwed at the majors within a couple of years, and probably sooner. Much sooner. If LIV goes to court that will take a few years, and age is not a friend of the golfer, pro or otherwise.
    I'm not familiar with the contractual language regarding the PGA's rules about this, but many (and I mean MANY) years ago, my law firm represented the PGA in a lawsuit regarding someone having forfeit his/her amateur status. Our position was that the PGA is a private organization, and if you want to be a member you have to abide by their rules. That position prevailed very early in the litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'm not familiar with the contractual language regarding the PGA's rules about this, but many (and I mean MANY) years ago, my law firm represented the PGA in a lawsuit regarding someone having forfeit his/her amateur status. Our position was that the PGA is a private organization, and if you want to be a member you have to abide by their rules. That position prevailed very early in the litigation.
    I don't think the Saudi's care about American case law. Their calculation is 'Can we hire more attorneys than them', and therefore force the opponent into negotiation/capitulation.

Though you're obviously more knowledgable. Would this be something that would get an early decision by a judge? Tossed or whatever? And would that be appealable?

This is interesting. Davis Love III (President's Cup Captain) says PGA Tour players are getting fed up at the players who left and may boycott events that allow LIV players to play.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...67R?li=BBnbfcL

Telling quotes:

If the LIV guys sue and are allowed to play on the PGA Tour, the players are enough fed up with it... we don't want those guys come and cherrypicking our tournaments.
    ...they know they've turned their backs on their friends and they're taking the money and they know it's not the right thing to do. It's their decision and they can do that. They just can't come back and play The Players Championship. That's just not fair.

Patrick Reed, who joined the LIV Golf tour in part to play golf less and spend more time with his family.
    It’s no fun when you quit one job to spend more time with your family, only to find they don’t really want you around more than you used to be.

In a more serious vein, I wonder if this is part of the quid pro quo LIV requires. Norman keeps talking about expanding audiences and naming the Asian Tour. I wouldn’t think Patrick Reed would move the needle much, but as the saying goes: every port in a storm.

Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau among 11 LIV golfers to file antitrust lawsuit against PGA Tour

Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau and nine other golfers suspended by the PGA Tour for joining LIV Golf have filed an antitrust lawsuit against the PGA Tour on Wednesday.

In addition, three of those golfers are seeking a temporary restraining order from a federal judge that would allow them to compete in the upcoming FedEx Cup playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...wsuit-pga-tour

In addition, three of those golfers are seeking a temporary restraining order from a federal judge that would allow them to compete in the upcoming FedEx Cup playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...wsuit-pga-tour
    Good. That will at least get a quick decision. I haven’t read anything beyond news coverage, but it caught my eye that John B. Quinn is one of the attorneys representing plaintiffs. I haven’t heard of the other lawyers, but they all are with elite firms.

I saw the complaint linked in one of the articles, but haven’t seen anything on the TRO. It would be interesting to read the arguments.
    Carolina delenda est

I don't think the Saudi's care about American case law. Their calculation is 'Can we hire more attorneys than them', and therefore force the opponent into negotiation/capitulation.

Though you're obviously more knowledgable. Would this be something that would get an early decision by a judge? Tossed or whatever? And would that be appealable?
    This wouldn't involve the Saudis at all; as I understand it, this is a squabble between the PGA and its members and former members about eligibility for stuff. I don't know if there is an arbitration clause in the PGA's membership agreement, but if there is arbitration is usually final. If it's in court, a case would be subject to a motion to dismiss (at the threshold) or for summary judgment (after some discovery, but before trial). Such a decision would be appealable.

This is gonna get nasty.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...L1x?li=BBnbfcL

“Their vision is cherry-picking what events they want to play on the PGA Tour. Obviously, that would be the higher world ranking events and bigger purses,” said a visibly irked Billy Horschel. “It’s frustrating. They made a decision to leave and they should go follow their employer. I know there are guys a lot more angry and frustrated about it than me.”
    If the 3 LIV golfers are allowed into the FedEx Cup playoffs, just think of how the 3 guys they bump are going to feel. That takes away their Tour card for next year.