Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I'd just like to note that Swafford and Harris English have never won in the same year - some even question if they have ever been seen in the same room together (h/t someone on Twitter than I can't remember).
    They are both Sea Island golfers. They both went to Georgia and they live in the same town and play the same courses. At least one was in the other’s wedding. Some believe they look alike, although I don’t really think they do. So I don’t know if I am missing a joke (does this have to do with them being doppelgängers?)

Anybody see Brooks Koepka’s new look? Yikes.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Anybody see Brooks Koepka’s new look? Yikes.
    Blondie! Yikes is right.

I totally missed something too - The Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines started yesterday and goes thru Saturday. The reason is so it doesn’t interfere with the AFC and NFC championship NFL playoff games Sunday from a television viewing perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Blondie! Yikes is right.

I totally missed something too - The Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines started yesterday and goes thru Saturday. The reason is so it doesn’t interfere with the AFC and NFC championship NFL playoff games Sunday from a television viewing perspective.
    I saw a bunch of activity over by the course yesterday and thought it was a bit much for a Wednesday before the tournament. Later I saw the leaderboard and did a double take before a friend explained how they shifted the schedule this year.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I saw a bunch of activity over by the course yesterday and thought it was a bit much for a Wednesday before the tournament. Later I saw the leaderboard and did a double take before a friend explained how they shifted the schedule this year.
    Can’t believe I missed that! Looks absolutely beautiful in the area right now. This week and next at Pebble Beach on the “California swing” of the tour are two of the most beautiful courses in the world. Riviera in a few weeks isn’t too shabby either!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I didn't even know green-reading books were a thing. Guess I don't watch that close. The PGA has banned them from the tour, rightfully so and it doesn't appear there was much of a debate. This story was in my local rag, and since our own Kevin Streelman was quoted I figured I'd find an online copy to share.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/0...-of-champions/
    I'll be the voice of dissent here. It's just information and often it's not as accurate as it needs to be. If you read the article the caddie said he's going to have to spend 5-10 more hours per week on the course. What he will be doing is essentially recreating those books in another way and players will work with them to memorize the information. I have no problem with players checking a reference along the way. I don't need the book myself because I'm just not good enough for it to matter anyway so, sure make them available for all to see.

I understand the purist but it's just information. Using it is the real skill anyway.

Then there's the question of "is this just another way to try and keep Bryson from winning after he hits an 8 iron into a par 5 from 210 yards?"

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'll be the voice of dissent here. It's just information and often it's not as accurate as it needs to be. If you read the article the caddie said he's going to have to spend 5-10 more hours per week on the course. What he will be doing is essentially recreating those books in another way and players will work with them to memorize the information. I have no problem with players checking a reference along the way. I don't need the book myself because I'm just not good enough for it to matter anyway so, sure make them available for all to see.

I understand the purist but it's just information. Using it is the real skill anyway.

Then there's the question of "is this just another way to try and keep Bryson from winning after he hits an 8 iron into a par 5 from 210 yards?"
    It also feels like another effort by middle class guys on the player advisory council to tilt the field towards experienced players vs. newbies who will now have to spend more practice time to learn unfamiliar greens. Pace of play is convenient cover.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

I listened to Rory at length on the subject. Many of the tour players feel that the ability to "read the green" should be emphasized and that "peering into a book at length" is bad for competitive golf (it's certainly bad TV).

By the way, ability to read the green is not an easily learned skill -- and courses, grasses, terrain can cause variation and make it more difficult. I am an average golfer but have played my mountain course for 20 years (since opening day). I usually read the greens for teammates in our men's day events. Three or four greens I view as impossible to read, but I have mostly memorized the putts. But then there are some members who are far better than me at reading putts.

Anyway, I am skeptical of the view that caddies can just do more work and his or her player will do just fine on the greens.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I listened to Rory at length on the subject. Many of the tour players feel that the ability to "read the green" should be emphasized and that "peering into a book at length" is bad for competitive golf (it's certainly bad TV).

By the way, ability to read the green is not an easily learned skill -- and courses, grasses, terrain can cause variation and make it more difficult. I am an average golfer but have played my mountain course for 20 years (since opening day). I usually read the greens for teammates in our men's day events. Three or four greens I view as impossible to read, but I have mostly memorized the putts. But then there are some members who are far better than me at reading putts.

Anyway, I am skeptical of the view that caddies can just do more work and his or her player will do just fine on the greens.
    At one time I was very good at reading putts, but not now. At one time I could see the grain and could tell which way the ball would break, but poor vision has taken that away. On long putts, I can tell which way the grain is going by the color of the grass, and I can tell if it's a slightly up hill putt or down-hill putt by walking toward the hole and back to the ball (weight on toes or heel). At one time I was a very good putter, but now I just mostly try not to three putt. As Jack Nicklaus once said, just before taking the putter back, let the last thing you think about be the speed of the putt. Great advice from the GOAT.

Luke List wins the 2022 Farmer’s Insurance Open at Torrey Pines

Luke List’s 206th career PGA Tour start produced his first win. He fired a final round 66 to force a playoff with Will Zalatoris, then won on the first playoff hole. List is 37 and just secured a good payday ($1.512 million) and great exemptions into future tournaments. He should be set for a while. You just love to see it!

It’s Pebble Beach week!

The AT&T Pebble Beach pro-am kicks off this week at Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, California. Another one of the most pristine looking golf courses on the planet with some amazingly beautiful views!

I can’t wait!

91 year old Clint Eastwood is still out there at the AT&T Pro Am this week at Pebble Beach!

He’s still getting his hips through the ball well!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    91 year old Clint Eastwood is still out there at the AT&T Pro Am this week at Pebble Beach!

He’s still getting his hips through the ball well!
    Probably planning his next movie as well. God bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    They are both Sea Island golfers. They both went to Georgia and they live in the same town and play the same courses. At least one was in the other’s wedding. Some believe they look alike, although I don’t really think they do. So I don’t know if I am missing a joke (does this have to do with them being doppelgängers?)
    Yes - the joke is that they look the same and have basically the same stats on the back of their baseball cards. Not meant to be anything deeper than that.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Who the heck is Seamus Power? 5 stroke lead going into the weekend. (Edit: I'm not sure pgatour.com is good at math, looks like 4 strokes to me)

Hang on and good luck! Irish eyes will be smiling if you pull through!

Who the heck is Seamus Power? 5 stroke lead going into the weekend. (Edit: I'm not sure pgatour.com is good at math, looks like 4 strokes to me)

Never mind. Seamus has played two par-72 courses, the 2nd place players have played a par-71 course. It evens out today.

Never mind. Seamus has played two par-72 courses, the 2nd place players have played a par-71 course. It evens out today.
    It may well "even out today," but Seamus is playing par-71 Monterey Peninsula, which is the easiest of the three courses: Pebble and and Spyglass are thought to be much tougher.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It may well "even out today," but Seamus is playing par-71 Monterey Peninsula, which is the easiest of the three courses: Pebble and and Spyglass are thought to be much tougher.
    I meant scores to par (maybe you knew that). They will all be relative to 215 total strokes today.

Anyone played Pebble or Spyglass before? It’s on my bucket list. Maybe one day! I believe Jim Nantz has a house on one of the holes there and has a backyard with a Par 3 Augusta National replica hole in it.

Here it is:

1B51863A-FDBD-4B84-B2D2-C18C2F154CAE.jpg

I meant scores to par (maybe you knew that). They will all be relative to 215 total strokes today.
    Still, the commentary on the tournament is that, if you don't shoot in the 60s at MP, you are toast. Now, in point of fact, Seamus Power could shoot 70 or 71 at MP and still be in the lead, given that he was -8 at both SH and PB the first two days.
    Sage Grouse