Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    2021-2022 PGA Tour Season

    Technically this season started last year, but this weekend kicks off the “main events” for the PGA Tour season in 2022. The boys are at the Plantation Course at Kapalua in Hawaii in the Sentry Tournament of Champions. Lots of heavy hitters there this weekend. The Tour will be in Hawaii next week, too, before their California swing.

    Some pretty cool majors this year. Obviously, we get The Masters at Augusta National in April. We also get the PGA Championship in Tulsa this year at Southern Hills Country Club. The United States Open will be played outside Boston this year in Brookline, Massachusetts at The Country Club. It was home to the 1913 United States Open won by Francis Ouimet, basis for the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played. Ouimet was an amateur that won the tournament that year and was a caddy there at The Country Club. Really looking forward to that tournament. Lastly, The Open Championship will be played at The Old Course at St Andrews in Scotland. Obviously, having The Open Championship there at the home of golf will be thrilling. And of course, we have all the usual events this year here in North America.

    Looking forward to a great year from the PGA Tour!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham
    I was at Kapalua 3 weeks ago. It was a beautiful course. Looked difficult, though the scores are not backing that up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Technically this season started last year, but this weekend kicks off the “main events” for the PGA Tour season in 2022. The boys are at the Plantation Course at Kapalua in Hawaii in the Sentry Tournament of Champions. Lots of heavy hitters there this weekend. The Tour will be in Hawaii next week, too, before their California swing.

    Some pretty cool majors this year. Obviously, we get The Masters at Augusta National in April. We also get the PGA Championship in Tulsa this year at Southern Hills Country Club. The United States Open will be played outside Boston this year in Brookline, Massachusetts at The Country Club. It was home to the 1913 United States Open won by Francis Ouimet, basis for the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played. Ouimet was an amateur that won the tournament that year and was a caddy there at The Country Club. Really looking forward to that tournament. Lastly, The Open Championship will be played at The Old Course at St Andrews in Scotland. Obviously, having The Open Championship there at the home of golf will be thrilling. And of course, we have all the usual events this year here in North America.

    Looking forward to a great year from the PGA Tour!
    Although we already have a 2021-22 thread on Dukies in the PGA and LPGA tours on the EK board, it is certainly OK to have another thread here on the PGA Tour itself.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  4. #4

    Cameron Smith wins the 2022 Sentry Tournament of Champions

    His 4th win on the PGA Tour. The Aussie is only 28. His -34 score for the tournament was the lowest score to par in PGA Tour history. Cameron takes home $1,476,000 in first place prize money.

    Congratulations Cameron!

    Looking forward to the Sony Open starting Thursday at Waiʻalae Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii!

  5. #5

    Honorary starters at The Masters

    Augusta National announces that Tom Watson will join Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player as an honorary starter this year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Probably doesn’t merit a wholly separate RIP thread, but long-time Golf Channel contributor Tim Rosaforte passed away today from an aggressive form of Alzheimer’s disease. He was only 66.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    I didn't even know green-reading books were a thing. Guess I don't watch that close. The PGA has banned them from the tour, rightfully so and it doesn't appear there was much of a debate. This story was in my local rag, and since our own Kevin Streelman was quoted I figured I'd find an online copy to share.

    https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/0...-of-champions/

  8. #8

    Incredible comeback gives Hideki Matsuyama 2022 Sony Open Championship

    Hideki Matsuyama was down 5 shots at the turn to Russell Henley yesterday in Honolulu, Hawaii at the Sony Open. He birdied 4 times on the back 9 to force a playoff, then hit a 3 wood from about 276 yards to 2 feet from the pin on the par 5 18th for a tap in eagle and the win. It was Matsuyama’s 8th win on the PGA Tour. The 29 year old from Japan took home $1.35 million in prize money.

    The PGA Tour will start its California swing this week. Thursday, The American Express will start at the Pete Dye Stadium Course in La Quinta, California.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I didn't even know green-reading books were a thing. Guess I don't watch that close. The PGA has banned them from the tour, rightfully so and it doesn't appear there was much of a debate. This story was in my local rag, and since our own Kevin Streelman was quoted I figured I'd find an online copy to share.

    https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/0...-of-champions/
    Great find. Yes, it’s been strange to watch golfers spend so much time looking at small books as they line up putts. Like the last sentence; something to the effect of now we can blame the caddies for missed putts.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I didn't even know green-reading books were a thing. Guess I don't watch that close. The PGA has banned them from the tour, rightfully so and it doesn't appear there was much of a debate. This story was in my local rag, and since our own Kevin Streelman was quoted I figured I'd find an online copy to share.

    https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/0...-of-champions/
    This initiative came from a group of players, with Rory McIlroy as the informal spokesman. Skill in "reading greens" is part of golf -- and should remain so. Therefore, such aids shouldn't be used. As Rory says, the play Thursday through Sunday should be faster, although the practice rounds will be slower as players have to spend more attention on the greens' contours and speed.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This initiative came from a group of players, with Rory McIlroy as the informal spokesman. Skill in "reading greens" is part of golf -- and should remain so. Therefore, such aids shouldn't be used. As Rory says, the play Thursday through Sunday should be faster, although the practice rounds will be slower as players have to spend more attention on the greens' contours and speed.
    Glad to see this is happening. I HATE watching the players and their caddies on the greens staring down at the "greens" notebook (they look like teenagers at the mall constantly checking their smartphones) instead of trying to actually read the greens and then figure out how they need to hit the putt. I don't even like watching the players (and their caddies) out in the fairway, staring at their yardage book, and then having a 20-minute discussion among themselves about what club to hit and how they should play the shot. IMHO, it is ruining the "sport" of golf.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Yep. If the big boys get green contour maps I want them, too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. If the big boys get green contour maps I want them, too.
    There are aps for that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sea Island, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. If the big boys get green contour maps I want them, too.
    Yeah, but they won’t help me until I get that speed thing under control

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Not the PGA Tour (Abu Dhabi), but how'd you like to play in 40 mph gusts? (not sure it would affect my "ground" game much )

    https://www.golfchannel.com/news/win...c-championship

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not the PGA Tour (Abu Dhabi), but how'd you like to play in 40 mph gusts? (not sure it would affect my "ground" game much )

    https://www.golfchannel.com/news/win...c-championship
    Did it every afternoon growing up. And played Kiawah’s Ocean Course in it. It adds to the challenge (as if my golf game needed more “challenge”).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  17. #17

    Unhappy Hudson Swafford wins 2022 The American Express

    Firing a final round 64, Hudson Swafford won the 2022 The American Express in La Quinta, California at The Pete Dye Stadium Course. It was the 3rd career PGA Tour win for Swafford, his 2nd time winning this tournament. The UGA product finished -23.

    The PGA Tour really hits high gear starting this upcoming week with the playing of the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego. It will feature a star studded field as usual and some of the best views for a golf course world wide!

Similar Threads

  1. Unbeaten Teams (MBB 2021-2022 Season)
    By brevity in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 01-13-2022, 09:04 AM
  2. 2021-2022 Duke Basketball Schedule
    By English in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 10-26-2021, 07:56 PM
  3. Duke softball 2021-2022
    By BlueDevil16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2021, 04:16 PM
  4. Duke Softball 2021-2022
    By BlueDevil16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2021, 06:40 PM
  5. K retiring after 2021-2022 season
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 323
    Last Post: 07-20-2021, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •