Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 684
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Cats led 4-2 but Duke ate their Wheaties at half time, have run of six straight goals in the third Q...lead 8-4

  2. #62
    15-7 is your final. The alarm clock went off for Duke at halftime. Adler was brilliant, with 15 saves. Duke survived a difficult afternoon for Naso.

    Vermont may win the America East again this year, but competing against ACC schools is a biiiiig step up.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham
    Nice win, but 25 minutes without a goal is concerning. Disturbing carryover pattern from last season. Father Danowski did something to get their attention at half time. Nice to see Naso score one off the faceoff. Vermont's guy was good. Nice test for the Devils. Agree that the ACC is a bridge too far for Vermont, but they are a real team.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    I agree that Mike Adler and the defense were the difference. Duke outscored Vermont 6-0 in the third quarter and I doubt Duke won more than one or two faceoffs in the quarter. For the game, Vermont won 17 of 25 faceoffs, or 68%. On the other hand, Adler's save percentage also was 68% with 15 saves on 22 shots on goal. Duke needs to figure out the faceoff game.

    Although the Vermont goalie made some nice saves in the first half, I thought that Duke's shot selection helped him. The offensive settled down in the second half and I think the distribution of goals is a good sign: Williams, O'Neill and Montgomery with 3 each and Robertson with 2. Joe also had a couple of assists.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by DST Fan View Post
    I agree that Mike Adler and the defense were the difference. Duke outscored Vermont 6-0 in the third quarter and I doubt Duke won more than one or two faceoffs in the quarter. For the game, Vermont won 17 of 25 faceoffs, or 68%. On the other hand, Adler's save percentage also was 68% with 15 saves on 22 shots on goal. Duke needs to figure out the faceoff game.

    Although the Vermont goalie made some nice saves in the first half, I thought that Duke's shot selection helped him. The offensive settled down in the second half and I think the distribution of goals is a good sign: Williams, O'Neill and Montgomery with 3 each and Robertson with 2. Joe also had a couple of assists.
    Our defense seems much more solid this year, particularly the short sticks. UVM's patient, veteran offense was a great early season challenge. Clearing could use some work; seems like too much reliance on beating someone one on one to get it into the offensive end. As mentioned by the announcers, depth seemed like the biggest difference between the teams.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Our defense seems much more solid this year, particularly the short sticks. UVM's patient, veteran offense was a great early season challenge. Clearing could use some work; seems like too much reliance on beating someone one on one to get it into the offensive end. As mentioned by the announcers, depth seemed like the biggest difference between the teams.
    The defensive stats look good, particularly in the second half:

    Vermont was 0-3 on extra man and Duke had 12 caused turnovers, 10 in the second half. The faceoff disadvantage was even greater in the second half with Vermont winning 13 of 17 and the defense held up against a number of extra Vermont possessions.

    My recollection was the same as yours regarding clearing, although the final stats show Duke with 20-22 clears. I remember a couple of instances when Duke lost the ball immediately after crossing the midfield line, so those most have been counted as turnovers. However, Duke only committed 12 turnovers for the game, which is a big improvement over the 23 on Friday.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Vermont is well coached, has a great face off man and a very good goalie....good test for our guys. It took VT two days to get to Durham, which didn't help them at all...cancelled flights and long bus trips to nowhere (i.e. New Hamster).
    In the end, Duke's depth did them in (and superior talent as well)...

  8. #68
    A quick look at Fridayís menís opponent, Manhattan. The Jaspers went 5-5 in 2021 and reached the MAAC championship game. It was their first .500-or-better season since 2009.

    3:00 p.m. Eastern on ACCNX.

    https://gojaspers.com/news/2022/2/9/...n-preview.aspx

  9. #69
    IL previews the Duke women, who open the season tomorrow against Gardner-Webb (6:00 p.m. EST, ACCNX).

    https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...onfident/58891

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    A quick look at Fridayís menís opponent, Manhattan. The Jaspers went 5-5 in 2021 and reached the MAAC championship game. It was their first .500-or-better season since 2009.

    3:00 p.m. Eastern on ACCNX.

    https://gojaspers.com/news/2022/2/9/...n-preview.aspx
    Mariano Rivera's son is a Freshman FOGO on Manhattan. Yes, that Mariano Rivera! Interesting that he's ended up as a lacrosse player not a baseball player.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke1994 View Post
    Mariano Rivera's son is a Freshman FOGO on Manhattan. Yes, that Mariano Rivera! Interesting that he's ended up as a lacrosse player not a baseball player.
    a shiny dollar from me if anyone can state why Manhattan calls themselves the Jaspers without looking it up or reading this: https://gojaspers.com/sports/2006/10/9/640189.aspx

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    a shiny dollar from me if anyone can state why Manhattan calls themselves the Jaspers without looking it up or reading this: https://gojaspers.com/sports/2006/10/9/640189.aspx
    Because the Owner is from Ridgeland, SC?

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Because the Owner is from Ridgeland, SC?
    Or, Revolutionary War hero, Sergeant Jasper, was actually from NY not Charleston?
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke1994 View Post
    Mariano Rivera's son is a Freshman FOGO on Manhattan. Yes, that Mariano Rivera! Interesting that he's ended up as a lacrosse player not a baseball player.
    Jack Marin's kid picked the one sport he knew nothing about - LAX. Just to keep Dad from trying to run things.

    -jk

  15. #75
    Another fun fact: the Jaspers play their home games at Gaelic Park, which has occasionally hosted the All-Ireland hurling and Gaelic football finals.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Another fun fact: the Jaspers play their home games at Gaelic Park, which has occasionally hosted the All-Ireland hurling and Gaelic football finals.
    for those that don't know, hurling is the sport where the Irish guys drink a great deal and then barf on the edge of the field. Rough game.

    p.s. the Jasper game is on the ACCN at 3pm today!

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    a shiny dollar from me if anyone can state why Manhattan calls themselves the Jaspers without looking it up or reading this: https://gojaspers.com/sports/2006/10/9/640189.aspx
    I think this is by far the most interesting fact revealed in the link. I didn't know this!
    One of the greatest achievements of Brother Jasper was that he brought the then little-known sport of baseball to Manhattan College and became the teamís first coach. Since Brother Jasper was also the Prefect of Discipline, he supervised the student fans at Manhattan College baseball games while also directing the team itself.

    During one particularly warm and humid day when Manhattan College was playing a semi-pro baseball team called the Metropolitans, Brother Jasper noticed the Manhattan students were becoming restless and edgy as Manhattan came to bat in the seventh inning of a close game. To relieve the tension, Brother Jasper called time-out and told the students to stand up and stretch for a few minutes until the game resumed.

    Since the College annually played the New York Giants in the late 1880s and into the 1890s at the old Polo Grounds, the Manhattan College practice of the "seventh inning stretch" spread into the major leagues, where it has now become a time-honored custom practiced by millions of fans.
    Almost as interesting is why the bullpen is called the bullpen? We've discussed this here before, although many years ago, probably in an earlier iteration of the DBR bulletin board and before some of our current posters were born! Anyone else remember the answer? Budwom, I'm pretty sure you do. As a side story to this, when I was a young boy, about 12 at the time, I did wonder why the bullpen was called the bullpen? I lived on Long Island, and wrote a letter to John Gambling, who hosted NYC's WABC morning drive radio show (he took write in questions from his audience). He read my letter on the air, which thrilled me when I heard it! He didn't know the answer and I never heard him answer it. But about 35 years ago, I finally got my answer. Let's just say it's Duke related!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Another fun fact: the Jaspers play their home games at Gaelic Park, which has occasionally hosted the All-Ireland hurling and Gaelic football finals.
    And we all know that Manhattan College is not actually in Manhattan - it is in the Bronx. It was in Manhattan between Columbia and City College and moved to the Bronx for more space in the 1920s.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    When my father was in his late teens living in actual Manhattan, he played sandlot ball with a bunch of friends who were pretty decent (kids did stuff like that back then). One day a nice guy showed up and asked them if they'd be interesting in playing a game for some money (not a bet, he'd just give them money) and a few days later they hopped on a bus and found themselves playing a bunch of grown men at Sing Sing. Those guys were tough.

  20. #80
    7-3 at the half. Manhattanís Brendan Krebs came out smoking hot in goal (eight saves in Q1), but Duke calmed down and ran off six unanswered to start Q2. Duke special teams and ride have been excellent: 8-11 on face offs, 3-3 on man up, and five broken Jasper clears.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Football 2022
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 380
    Last Post: 06-22-2022, 01:45 PM
  2. Duke Softball 2022
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 849
    Last Post: 06-16-2022, 10:29 PM
  3. MOTM: Duke v Clemson (Jan 25, 2022)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-26-2022, 11:36 AM
  4. Duke Baseball 2022
    By duke2x in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-03-2021, 10:07 AM
  5. Duke softball 2021-2022
    By BlueDevil16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2021, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •