Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    10-3 after one quarter. Close to 30 guys have played already, as the coaches mix and match all over the field. Going to be a long afternoon for the official scorer.

Three-minute non-releasable penalty on Jake Caputo for an illegal stick. Bobby Mo has one so far, but Duke was able to get possession and kill an entire shot clock.

14-7 at the half. BO is 4-6.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

HT: Duke 14, Bobby Mo 7. They have some snipers and a FOGO, and that will get you a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    HT: Duke 14, Bobby Mo 7. They have some snipers and a FOGO, and that will get you a long way.
    So will 3 minute non-releasable penalty. Scored tweo goals off of that stupid pednalty by Duke. Inexcusable.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    So will 3 minute non-releasable penalty. Scored tweo goals off of that stupid pednalty by Duke. Inexcusable.
    The assistant coach's son. May make for interesting dinner table conversation.

Strong team. Good win. We do have some big players on our team, not only have size but talent. At one point towards the end of the third-quarter I was about to say we have fewer bad passes than we had last year. Then we had two bad passes. I am excited about the potential for this Duke lacrosse team.

I'm no Lacrosse expert but it seemed that Duke got the majority of 50/50 balls, had accurate passing and good stick work. Adler also had a very good game in goal. Plenty of positives and possibly improvement over last year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    The assistant coach's son. May make for interesting dinner table conversation.
    So this is something I have wondered about for a long time, as someone who has almost no playing experience in lacrosse--especially after seeing Matt Danowski (speaking of dinner table conversation with the coach) get a 3-minute nonreleasable stick penalty in an NCAA semifinal game that Duke lost, in part because of that. How do you ever let this happen at an elite level in lacrosse? Do players just not pay enough attention to whether their pockets are getting stretched out?

I would really appreciate enlightenment from someone more knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So this is something I have wondered about for a long time, as someone who has almost no playing experience in lacrosse--especially after seeing Matt Danowski (speaking of dinner table conversation with the coach) get a 3-minute nonreleasable stick penalty in an NCAA semifinal game that Duke lost, in part because of that. How do you ever let this happen at an elite level in lacrosse? Do players just not pay enough attention to whether their pockets are getting stretched out?

Good question.

From IL’s game story: “ Danowski shouted out the crowd, particularly the students that came over from being camped out in Krzyzewskiville.”

Way to go, line monitors.

I was impressed with Penn transfer Lulley...the guy knows how to move the ball...very encouraging to see the ball movement we had, way better than watching the Michael Sowers show...

Speaking of FOGOs, Vermont has a good one, and a bunch of guys who can score...they need to be taken seriously tomorrow...

I did not watch the game so I don't know the specifics.
    There is an advantage to having a deep pocket that is barely legal so many of the sticks out there are very close to the edge.

As noted by budwom above, it may be that the pieces of this team fit together a little better than last year. Not to read too much into one game but, in the first two games last year, Duke trailed Denver 5-1 at the end of the first quarter and also fell behind RoMo 5-2 in the first quarter. The 10-1 start yesterday was wild.

Although Brennan O’Neill scored 6 goals, based on my eye test, it did not seem that he controlled the ball that much. I also think the team is better off with Dyson Williams at attack. Last year, he was the odd man out on the first attack and, hopefully, yesterday’s 4 goals indicate that he will pick up where he left off his freshman year, when he scored 26 goals in the 8-game season. His behind-the-back goal was very nice.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1489801786915438596

And Joe Robertson (3 assists) seemed very happy yesterday not to force anything and be a facilitator. I thought his goal when he pressured the goalie and stripped the ball was a classic Joe Robertson play.

There appear to be plenty of capable candidates to create two solid midfield units. Last year, the midfield line-ups were shuffled regularly and I think it will be interesting to see if the two units fall into place more quickly.

I am looking forward to the Vermont game. On paper, it certainly appears to have the makings of a first round NCAA tournament game.

Also, there is a link on GoDuke to Terry Foy’s (Inside Lacrosse) post-game interview with Coach Danowski in which the coach provides some interesting insights into the game and, particularly, RoMo’s style of play.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-lacrosse

^ well stated

It’s harder than it sounds. Sticks are kept right on the border, because a deeper pocket helps with playing through contact. It’s easy for the pocket to break in over the game and become deeper, especially in inclement weather. Also, it’s not just the pocket—the plastic of the head of the lacrosse stick can also warp throughout the game. Part of the stick checking procedure is to measure the dimensions of the head as well as the depth of the pocket. So—there’s a lot that can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    It’s harder than it sounds. Sticks are kept right on the border, because a deeper pocket helps with playing through contact. It’s easy for the pocket to break in over the game and become deeper, especially in inclement weather. Also, it’s not just the pocket—the plastic of the head of the lacrosse stick can also warp throughout the game. Part of the stick checking procedure is to measure the dimensions of the head as well as the depth of the pocket. So—there’s a lot that can go wrong.
    How is the rule policed and enforced? Is there a routine check by officials before the game? Can coaches raise a complaint during the game? Who is responsible for compliance - the players themselves, the equipment managers, the coaches? Thanks for your insights!

P.S. - enjoy your ski trip (per DBR Chat)!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    How is the rule policed and enforced? Is there a routine check by officials before the game? Can coaches raise a complaint during the game? Who is responsible for compliance - the players themselves, the equipment managers, the coaches? Thanks for your insights!

P.S. - enjoy your ski trip (per DBR Chat)!
    Officials make stick checks of random players between quarters and IIRC during time outs. A coach can also call for a stick check at any time; recall that in the fourth quarter of the 2018 world championship Canada called for a check on US FOGO Greg Gurenlian.

In the women’s game they check the scorer’s stick after every goal and do random checks at time outs.

same issue in hockey...

our guys being outplayed early in the second period, down 3-2