Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    MacArthur High School, in the Lacrosse hotbed Nassau County, is just 15 minutes from St. Anthony's High School. Any players on the team from that area? Hmm?
    Coach Danowski was the Head Coach at Hofstra, which is 7 miles away.

In Long Island, measuring distance by minutes vs. miles is different; distance is non-euclidean.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Grew up 4 miles from MacArthur High School.
    I live a 10 minute drive from McArthur- I will see you there !

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    I live a 10 minute drive from McArthur- I will see you there !
    When I was growing up, there was no MacArthur, it was Memorial and Division.

Yes, I am old.

Mercer used a 5-0 third quarter to break open a close game and roll past Bellarmine, 9-4.

About time we bumped this up. Duke plays Bob Morris on Friday at 5pm, then the vicious UVM Catamounts on Sunday (ranked team, better than you might imagine)...wonder if there will be any tv?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    About time we bumped this up. Duke plays Bob Morris on Friday at 5pm, then the vicious UVM Catamounts on Sunday (ranked team, better than you might imagine)...wonder if there will be any tv?
    Just saw the good news online that Friday's game is on ACC network. Hoping for at least ACCNX coverage for the Sunday game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Just saw the good news online that Friday's game is on ACC network. Hoping for at least ACCNX coverage for the Sunday game.
    great news! UVM is very good, hope the Sunday game is on as well..

The ESPN website indicates that the Sunday game with Vermont is on ACCNX. 1:00 p.m. start.

Inside Lacrosse has published the ESPN schedule for the 2022 season.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...nd-espn2/58859

Along with a preview of Duke.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...t-shines/58853

could they switch the game to Vermont for my convenience? (it would require snow shoes).
    right on cue, a foot of snow here and still falling, so I guess playing Vermont at Koskinen is a good idea...beware of the Cats, this is not a pushover squad, good early season game.
    Can't wait to see the new Duke guys.

2022 Preview

The 2021 season didn’t turn out the way Duke fans expected. The Blue Devils were the nearly unanimous pre-season number one, and at times they looked like they might cruise to the championship. It didn’t turn out that way: although they made it to Championship Weekend for the third straight season, and had a number of highlights along the way, there was something obviously wrong with the offense and the team chemistry, and the whole enterprise collapsed with a resounding thud in the national semifinals.

Heading into 2022, it’s Virginia with the target on its back. Although Duke has questions to answer, its pre-season number three ranking suggests a belief that the answers are at hand.

The Blue Devils lose a lot from the 2021 squad. Defender J.T. Giles-Harris was the heart and soul of the team and an All-American. Attackman Michael Sowers, the subject of so much hype, also departs, along with a ton of offensive midfield depth and two of the four SSDMs who played regularly.

The cupboard is far from bare, however. Starting attackmen Joe Robertson, he of the overtime heroics, and Brennan O’Neill, of the Zion Williamson analogies, are back. So too are positionless sniper Dyson Williams; a host of offensive mids led by All-American Nakeie Montgomery, Owen Caputo, and Aidan Danenza; LSMs Tyler Carpenter (a pre-season All-American) and Braden Burke; SSDMs Jake Caputo and Matt Chmil; starting defenders Kenny Brower and Wilson Stephenson; face-off savant Jake Naso and sidekick Jordan Ginder; and Mike Adler, who at his best is among the best goaltenders in the game.

The incoming freshman class stresses quality over quantity, with five members of the IL top 100 including the top two mids (Andrew McAdorey and Jackson Gray) and number two defender Keith Boyer. There are also a number of potentially high-impact transfers, led by midfielders Sean Lulley (grad transfer, Penn) and Grant Mitchell (Ohio State) and SSDM Gavin Lindsay (grad transfer, Georgetown).

The schedule, which opens with the visit of Robert Morris this afternoon, is, as usual, a thrill ride. The ACC is sticking to last year’s six-game run with no tournamen, so Duke will have home-and-homes with Carolina and Notre Dame, a home game with Virginia, and a visit to Syracuse. All but Cuse are in the pre-season top six. The non-conference slate includes five top-20 opponents: Loyola, Penn, Denver, Delaware, and Vermont.

As far as the Annual Futile Exercise is concerned, a good chunk of the rotation looks reasonably well settled. Robertson and O’Neill are starting at attack. It’s possible that Williams will join them, but I have a hunch that it will be Lulley assuming a “point guard” role at X, with Williams moving to midfield. The most likely six at offensive midfield would seem to be Montgomery, Williams, Owen Caputo, McAdorey, Danenza, and Mitchell or senior Garrett Leadmon. Redshirt senior Cam Badour will slot in on the man-up unit. At SSDM, returnees Jake Caputo and Chmil are likely to be joined by Lindsay (who was the shortie on Georgetown’s top-ranked man-down unit) and either Mitchell, Gray, or freshman Reed Landin, an IL top 100 selection. Carpenter and either Burke or junior Cam Henry, an elite athlete who caught IL’s eye when they looked in on fall practice, will be the LSMs. Brower and Stephenson will start on defense, joined by Henry, sophomore Cole Krauss, or freshman Jake Wilson, an IL top 100 selection. Boyer, who is highly skilled but undersized by ACC standards, will initially slot in on the man-down unit. Adler will be in goal, and Naso will be at the dot.

A trip to East Hartford for Memorial Day weekend is far from assured, but it wouldn’t hurt to make reservations—if they’re refundable.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 02-04-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The 2021 season didn’t turn out the way Duke fans expected. The Blue Devils were the nearly unanimous pre-season number one, and at times they looked like they might cruise to the championship. It didn’t turn out that way: although they made it to Championship Weekend for the third straight season, and had a number of highlights along the way, there was something obviously wrong with the offense and the team chemistry, and the whole enterprise collapsed with a resounding thud in the national semifinals.

Heading into 2022, it’s Virginia with the target on its back. Although Duke has questions to answer, its pre-season number three ranking suggests a belief that the answers are at hand.

The Blue Devils lose a lot from the 2021 squad. Defender J.T. Giles-Harris was the heart and soul of the team and an All-American. Attackman Michael Sowers, the subject of so much hype, also departs, along with a ton of offensive midfield depth and two of the four SSDMs who played regularly.

The cupboard is far from bare, however. Starting attackmen Joe Robertson, he of the overtime heroics, and Brennan O’Neill, of the Zion Williamson analogies, are back. So too are positionless sniper Dyson Williams; a host of offensive mids led by All-American Nakeie Montgomery, Owen Caputo, and Aidan Danenza; LSMs Tyler Carpenter (a pre-season All-American) and Braden Burke; SSDMs Jake Caputo and Matt Chmil; starting defenders Kenny Brower and Wilson Stephenson; face-off savant Jake Naso and sidekick Jordan Ginder; and Mike Adler, who at his best is among the best goaltenders in the game.

The incoming freshman class stresses quality over quantity, with five members of the IL top 100 including the top two mids (Andrew McAdorey and Jackson Gray) and number two defender Keith Boyer. There are also a number of potentially high-impact transfers, led by midfielders Sean Lulley (grad transfer, Penn) and Grant Mitchell (Ohio State) and SSDM Gavin Lindsay (grad transfer, Georgetown).

The schedule, which opens with the visit of Robert Morris this afternoon, is, as usual, a thrill ride. The ACC is sticking to last year’s six-game run with no tournamen, so Duke will have home-and-homes with Carolina and Notre Dame, a home game with Virginia, and a visit to Syracuse. All but Cuse are in the pre-season top six. The non-conference slate includes five top-20 opponents: Loyola, Penn, Denver, Delaware, and Vermont.

As far as the Annual Futile Exercise is concerned, a good chunk of the rotation looks reasonably well settled. Robertson and O’Neill are starting at attack. It’s possible that Williams will join them, but I have a hunch that it will be Lulley assuming a “point guard” role at X, with Williams moving to midfield. The most likely six at offensive midfield would seem to be Montgomery, Williams, Owen Caputo, McAdorey, Danenza, and Mitchell or senior Garrett Leadmon. Redshirt senior Cam Badour will slot in on the man-up unit. At SSDM, returnees Jake Caputo and Chmil are likely to be joined by Lindsay (who was the shortie on Georgetown’s top-ranked man-down unit) and either Mitchell, Gray, or freshman Reed Landin, an IL top 100 selection. Carpenter and either Burke or junior Cam Henry, an elite athlete who caught IL’s eye when they looked in on fall practice, will be the LSMs. Brower and Stephenson will start on defense, joined by Henry, sophomore Cole Krauss, or freshman Jake Wilson, an IL top 100 selection. Boyer, who is highly skilled but undersized by ACC standards, will initially slot in on the man-down unit. Adler will be in goal, and Naso will be at the dot.

A trip to East Hartford for Memorial Day weekend is far from assured, but it wouldn’t hurt to make reservations—if they’re refundable.
    Thanks for your succinct report. Will keep it handy while watching the game in snowed in Oklahoma.

good job, Paul. Last year was obviously both successful (Final Four) and disappointing, given the preseason hype. Somehow I expected Coach D to figure out how to blend the pieces as he usually does, but it didn't happen.
    I'm convinced (even if I'm wrong) that the team spent way too much time watching Sowers juke and dodge behind the net (often stumbling in the process) and not enough time working the ball around for great shots as Merlin did.

Sowers is obviously a huge talent, but somehow I suspect the pieces of this team might just fit better.

good job, Paul. Last year was obviously both successful (Final Four) and disappointing, given the preseason hype. Somehow I expected Coach D to figure out how to blend the pieces as he usually does, but it didn't happen.
    I'm convinced (even if I'm wrong) that the team spent way too much time watching Sowers juke and dodge behind the net (often stumbling in the process) and not enough time working the ball around for great shots as Merlin did.

Sowers is obviously a huge talent, but somehow I suspect the pieces of this team might just fit better.
    No disrespect for Ivy League guys intended (Yale’s Chris Fake, to cite only one example, could play anywhere), but I think the size, range, athleticism, and especially the physicality of ACC defenders were factors to which Sowers never fully adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    No disrespect for Ivy League guys intended (Yale’s Chris Fake, to cite only one example, could play anywhere), but I think the size, range, athleticism, and especially the physicality of ACC defenders were factors to which Sowers never fully adjusted.
    I had reached the same conclusion, but I admit I hadn't watched any of Sowers Princeton games. All too often Sowers got the ball at Duke and turned it over...

The women’s TV schedule is out, and Duke gets four (!) of the coveted Thursday night slots on ACCN: first-year program Pitt on 3/10, Louisville on 3/17, VaTech on 4/7, and the Cheats on 4/21.

B.O. scores the 1st goal of the season. 2-0 Duke in first minute.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

7-1 Duke. Seven different guys have scored.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

8-1 now. Duke offense is clicking.
    Bob Green

Definitely like the teamwork and passing I have seen from this offense. Of course, this year's version of Robert Morris doesn't seem too strong so far, especially compared to last year. But it's good experience to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    B.O. scores the 1st goal of the season. 2-0 Duke in first minute.
    9-1 after eight minutes. The ball is being shared, and everybody is getting to eat. Looks like Brower, Krauss, and Frisoli on D.