Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Duke Men's and Women's Lax 2022

The official schedule for both teams is out so we can retire the offseason thread. Men start on 2/4 (first link) against RMU and women start on 2/11 (second link).

https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/7/men...-schedule.aspx

https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/6/wom...-schedule.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The official schedule for both teams is out so we can retire the offseason thread. Men start on 2/4 (first link) against RMU and women start on 2/11 (second link).

Thanks for posting. I have been looking for the men's schedule for a while so I'm glad it is finally up. I'm very excited about the home Notre Dame over homecoming weekend - I took the family to the home Notre Dame men's lax game at homecoming five years ago and they loved it - there was a huge crowd on a beautiful Durham spring afternoon. Health and Covid permitting, I hope to do it again in April.

I think it might have been posted in another thread, but is there any thought on where the Penn game will be? Not counting Syracuse, there are now games in the northeast this year.

I love watching Duke lacrosse and I look forward to another season. I do hope this season features a bit more ball movement and a bit less of the one on one action which, in my inexpert opinion, cost Duke something last year. Gobs of talent including newcomers, and a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

I realize this is a side note, but is whatever "Robert Morris" is really well known enough to justify being referred to as "RMU"? I was trying to figure out if Randolph-Macon had changed their name.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I realize this is a side note, but is whatever "Robert Morris" is really well known enough to justify being referred to as "RMU"? I was trying to figure out if Randolph-Macon had changed their name.
    Well, Robert Morris isn't nobody in the lax world. They made the NCAA tournament (with an AQ from the Northeast Conference) in 2018 and 2019; in 2018 they lost their NCAA game to Maryland 14-11, which is not too shabby. The school is in the Pittsburgh suburbs, and they have been playing lax for 16 years or so.

They also have a decent basketball program and have been in the NCAA basketball tournament 8 times, including, most recently, 2015, when they lost pretty handily to the eventual champion (what was that team again? ) in the first round.

All that being said, perhaps RMU isn't that familiar an acronym. In sports, you will sometimes hear the school referred to as RoMo or BobbyMo.
    Last edited by MCFinARL; 01-07-2022 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, Robert Morris isn't nobody in the lax world. They made the NCAA tournament (with an AQ from the Northeast Conference) in 2018 and 2019; in 2018 they lost their NCAA game to Maryland 14-11, which is not too shabby. The school is in the Pittsburgh suburbs, and they have been playing lax for 16 years or so.

They also have a decent basketball program and have been in the NCAA basketball tournament 8 times, including, most recently, 2015, when they lost pretty handily to the eventual champion (what was that team again? ) in the first round.

All that being said, perhaps RMU isn't that familiar an acronym. In sports, you will sometimes hear the school referred to as RoMo or BobbyMo.
    Heh, both pretty good monikers. Reminiscent of U-La-La or Bill & Mary.

On opening weekend, our heroic Blue Devils had best be prepared for a solid Vermont team (which gave Merlin a better game in the NCAA tournament last year than Duke did)...

Interesting that we play UVA on April 14, then don't have another game until May 1, against some team down the road. The women have games on April 16 and 22. Wonder why such a long break for the men. Don't like the idea of long layoff before playing the cheats.

And how could you overlook Bobby Mo beating Kentucky in the 2013 NIT. A notable high point in college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Interesting that we play UVA on April 14, then don't have another game until May 1, against some team down the road. The women have games on April 16 and 22. Wonder why such a long break for the men. Don't like the idea of long layoff before playing the cheats.
    The ACC has an odd number of teams. We used to play Marquette in that slot in the schedule. It also overlaps the front end of exams.

Nice doubleheader on March 5: lacrosse against Richmond at noon in Koskinen, and K’s last game in Cameron tips off at 6 PM against the cheats. Should be a great day on campus!

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Nice doubleheader on March 5: lacrosse against Richmond at noon in Koskinen, and K’s last game in Cameron tips off at 6 PM against the cheats. Should be a great day on campus!
    Right around my birthday. I would love to come down to celebrate but I would hate to make the trip and not be able to get tickets to the lax game!

I don’t think it’s been officially announced yet, but it appears that the Towson game will be part of a doubleheader at Audi Field. The other game is Maryland-Virginia.

Still no word on the site of the Penn game

ICYMI, USALacrosse magazine’s preseason rankings have the Duke men at number three and the Duke women at number eight. On the website, they are working their way up through the rankings, profiling one men’s and one women’s team every weekday (today it’s number 15–Hop men and Denver women).

In other news, COVID has transformed the 2022 men’s world championship in various suburbs of Vancouver into the 2023 men’s world championship deep in the heart of San Diego. Yeah, I know, two weeks in an Airbnb in Pacific Beach or La Jolla in late June and early July sounds like a fate worse than death, doesn’t it.

USALacrosse mag previews the preseason number eight Duke women.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/colle...o-8-duke-women

The site of the Penn game is now known:MacArthur HS in Levittown, NY.

USALacrosse magazine’s look at the preseason number three Duke men is up, featuring a remarkable statistic showing the importance of Joe Robertson.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/colle...-no-3-duke-men

I’ll spare you my annual rant about ACC schools that are powers in club lax but refuse to step up to NCAA. I will simply note that the usual suspects (GaTech, Clemson, and BC) are in the pre-season top 20 in MCLA D1, and Wake (!) is in the pre-season top 20 in MCLA D2.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The site of the Penn game is now known:MacArthur HS in Levittown, NY.
    MacArthur High School, in the Lacrosse hotbed Nassau County, is just 15 minutes from St. Anthony's High School. Any players on the team from that area? Hmm?
    Coach Danowski was the Head Coach at Hofstra, which is 7 miles away.

In Long Island, measuring distance by minutes vs. miles is different; distance is non-euclidean.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Grew up 4 miles from MacArthur High School.

Ready for a game? Today’s the day.

The traditional (?) season opener between Mercer and Bellarmine will be live-streamed bu something called ScoreBreak. Game time is noon Eastern.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Ready for a game? Today’s the day.

The traditional (?) season opener between Mercer and Bellarmine will be live-streamed bu something called ScoreBreak. Game time is noon Eastern.
    Probably not a lot of DBR takers on watching that. Seems there is some Duke competition at noon.

Didn't see this posted from a week ago...

Six Blue Devils Named to IL Preseason All-America Teams
    https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/20/me...ica-teams.aspx
    DURHAM – Six members of the Duke men's lacrosse team have been named to the Inside Lacrosse Preseason All-America teams, the organization announced Jan. 20. The Blue Devils are tied for the second most honorees of all programs recognized.