Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    She reported to prison today.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/30/1178728092/elizabeth-holmes-prison-sentence-theranos-fraud-silicon-valley
    Neither here nor there but my lady friend works for an organization that does the service dog / prison training programs out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    maybe she'll develop recipes in the prison kitchen for making baked good with only a single grain of sugar?
    Sounds promising. Is there a way I can invest in this? I seem to have missed out the last time round.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Sounds promising. Is there a way I can invest in this? I seem to have missed out the last time round.
    Sounds like a good time to liquidate my position in out-of-date lottery tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Yes indeed, I will private message you about where you can send a $100,000 check made out to me to get in on the ground floor of this exciting business opportunity!

Yes indeed, I will private message you about where you can send a $100,000 check made out to me to get in on the ground floor of this exciting business opportunity!
    Just promise me that it isn't Amway!

Does 'get in on ground floor' in an investment context ever not mean 'provide exit liquidity' these days? Are there legitimate opportunities that still use this messaging?

All the crypto research has really jaded me, haha.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Does 'get in on ground floor' in an investment context ever not mean 'provide exit liquidity' these days? Are there legitimate opportunities that still use this messaging?

I suspect they are available, but through ultra high end providers to their select customers, e.g. from private equity, or Goldman Sachs and the like...the Duke Endowment for example gets such opportunities...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

Got me wondering about Wheat.

I suspect they are available, but through ultra high end providers to their select customers, e.g. from private equity, or Goldman Sachs and the like...the Duke Endowment for example gets such opportunities...
    At the other end of the spectrum, I know someone who recently spent a not insubstantial amount of money on two car washes in remote hinterlands. Like, you'd look at the map and think "does anyone live there?". And soon thereafter texted me "those little [vulgarity redacted] are making money". Opportunities abound.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    At the other end of the spectrum, I know someone who recently spent a not insubstantial amount of money on two car washes in remote hinterlands. Like, you'd look at the map and think "does anyone live there?". And soon thereafter texted me "those little [vulgarity redacted] are making money". Opportunities abound.
    Remote hinterlands are extra dusty.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    No. The listed release date is a projection which reflects potentially earned time off for good behavior and participation in certain programs. It doesn't reflect any change in her sentence.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Or maybe your friend is taking a page from Walter White!

bumping this in the selfish fashion after my wife and I finished The Dropout on Hulu...pretty good representation of the Theranos fiasco, with our Blue Devil John Carreyrou as a featured good guy. And a reluctant doff of the cap to Rupert Murdoch for actually going a good thing.